What ammunition box do you use for reloads?

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

What ammunition box do you use for reloads?

Postby bhemry » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:46 pm

I've always used Frankford Arsenal, 50 round, flip-top boxes for all my reloading, but since buying my .450 Bushmaster, I haven't been able to find one that "fits". They don't seem to have a chart for the right size, and so far, I've ordered 2 different sizes and in both of them, the empty brass drops down to where you can't hardly get them out without tipping the box and jiggling. I'd rather stick with the Frankford Arsenal brand because I like them, but I'm open to other suggestions.
bhemry

Re: What ammunition box do you use for reloads?

Postby KenMI » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:30 pm

MTM RS-S-50. They say on the chart they will work bullet up or down. But the cartridge bases seem a bit big for bullet up. They work great bullet down, and the length is perfect
KenMI

Postby Hoot » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:00 pm

I use the RSLD-50.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby bhemry » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:37 am

Was perusing the MTM website to try to figure out their jargon. Looks like R-50's are the series, and within them are different sizes of which the RS-S and the RSLD are two very similar, but slightly different, sizes. Gives me some options. Thanks guys!
bhemry

Postby Hoot » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:20 am

This

If it works for the 460 S&W, it works for the 450b

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Jim in Houston » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:56 pm

I use a variety of MTM cases for different cartridges. They have a compatibility chart on their website. If you load different bullets, I would go for a case that allows you to put the bullets up in the box. That would be the RSS-50 for the BM450.

https://media.mwstatic.com/productdocuments/compatibility%20chart/173/mtm_rifle_ammo_box.pdf
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby CJP1 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:25 am

I'm using Berry's #411 45/70 and MTM #RMLD-50 ammo boxes. The slots are big enough that I can put rounds in with the bullets up in both. The Berry's boxes are shorter than the MTM boxes but have cheap one layer plastic hinge. The MTM boxes are made for longer magnum rounds but have real molded hinge.
CJP1

Postby KenMI » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:16 am

There is absolutely no way the RS-S-50 will allow for bullet up position. If you could jam them fully down, they would be almost impossible to remove.

But, it works great for bullet down, so that's how I use it. I'd rather have them bullet down, snugly, than in an oversized case.
KenMI

Postby Jim in Houston » Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:32 pm

KenMI wrote:There is absolutely no way the RS-S-50 will allow for bullet up position. If you could jam them fully down, they would be almost impossible to remove.

But, it works great for bullet down, so that's how I use it. I'd rather have them bullet down, snugly, than in an oversized case.

Well, the compatibility chart says to use RSS-50 for either orientation, but I checked, and I am using the RL-50, which can accept the 450BM cartridge bullet up or down. It is a little taller than needed for the 450, but if you don't want the rounds to rattle around, you can put a piece of 1/2" foam rubber on top.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby KenMI » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:56 pm

Yeah, their chart isn't always correct.
The WSM size works either way, but quite loose.
KenMI

Next

Return to Reloading for the 450b