250xtp

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

250xtp

Postby deadeer » Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:25 pm

I havent done much research yet. How about any easy shooting loads with standard xtp's and Nosler hp's? Anything with Universal, HS-6, or universal Clay's? Trailboss? I have thousands of .452's to use, so some easy on the shoulder plinkers will be welcome. Cycling is no issue as these will be strictly in a single shot. Thanks.
deadeer

Re: 250xtp

Postby Hoot » Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:57 am

deadeer wrote:I havent done much research yet. How about any easy shooting loads with standard xtp's and Nosler hp's? Anything with Universal, HS-6, or universal Clay's? Trailboss? I have thousands of .452's to use, so some easy on the shoulder plinkers will be welcome. Cycling is no issue as these will be strictly in a single shot. Thanks.

15gr Trailboss at 2.10 COL should feel like 45 ACP +P

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby plant_one » Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:03 am

good on you for being on the right track with those bullets.

i had inquired with hornady some time back about using them in the bushmaster, and they stated that the 250XTP (#45200) was designed for usage in the Colt and as such isnt engineered to withstand the kind of pressures and velocity that the bushmaster operates at with standard loads.

the bullet is engineered for a terminal velocity between 800 and 1600 fps so if you can get them running well at around 1200-1400 fps (hot colt loads - think ruger #1 or TC type usage - velocity's out of a carbine) they should perform great (Terminal performance if you were to hunt with them) and be an fantastic mild-moderate load to shoot out of that MGM setup you're working with.

one place to search - i would hit the cast bullet forums and see what they're doing for low velocity loads for the bushmaster. i bet someone there has some useful data you can dig up - and hopefully share back with us once you find it :)
plant_one

Postby plant_one » Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:05 am

Hoot wrote:
deadeer wrote:I havent done much research yet. How about any easy shooting loads with standard xtp's and Nosler hp's? Anything with Universal, HS-6, or universal Clay's? Trailboss? I have thousands of .452's to use, so some easy on the shoulder plinkers will be welcome. Cycling is no issue as these will be strictly in a single shot. Thanks.

15gr Trailboss at 2.10 COL should feel like 45 ACP +P

Hoot

i bet with TB you could have a lot of giggle-factor fun with those bullets over TB and a suppressor

they're a bit large to be called mouse-farts... maybe Rabbit Fart loads

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
plant_one

Postby deadeer » Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:16 am

Ok thanks. Will look further when times allows

On a side note, the 250xtp has been used for many years thru the Sav ml2 with book load speeds up to 2300fps. They do come apart up there, but do good out near 100yds. The standard 300xtp is one heck of a bullet. I know many guys that are shooting them at 3k fps at paper thru their smokeless mz's to save money and checking new loads.
deadeer

Postby Hoot » Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:24 am

deadeer wrote:Ok thanks. Will look further when times allows

On a side note, the 250xtp has been used for many years thru the Sav ml2 with book load speeds up to 2300fps. They do come apart up there, but do good out near 100yds. The standard 300xtp is one heck of a bullet. I know many guys that are shooting them at 3k fps at paper thru their smokeless mz's to save money and checking new loads.

With sabots, the rifling doesn't actually cut into the bullet's jacket and the base doesn't obturate. That's probably why they hold together in flight at those velocities.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby s4s4u » Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:52 pm

i had inquired with hornady some time back about using them in the bushmaster, and they stated that the 250XTP (#45200) was designed for usage in the Colt and as such isnt engineered to withstand the kind of pressures and velocity that the bushmaster operates at with standard loads.

I have a bud who loads them to ridiculous velocity in 460 S&W from a 15" Encore pistol and hunts deer with them. He says they are devastating and deer are DRT. Overexpansion, perhaps, but deadly nonetheless. I am planning to burn some up in the AR just to see. Will do some water jug testing.
s4s4u

Postby okierider » Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:46 pm

I worked up some loads for my AR with 250 g XTP's and 36 grains of LILGun. ran well and printed a 3/4 inch group. No chrono but seemed to hold together well . Was just playing around a little while I waited on some bullets I ordered to arrive.
Not sure how good the interlock soft points will be but finding FTX right now is not happening at the moment.
okierider

Postby cwlongshot » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:27 am

As a vermin or target bullet I say great!
But I have shot the Nosler and Speer 250g HP's at 45 COLT velocities and seen them
Over expand to ever use one on a deer at bushmaster stainable velocities. XTP is a lik tpugher but doubtful its gonna hold at bushy attainable velocities. (For big game)

CW
cwlongshot

Postby deadeer » Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:50 pm

My inquiry was aimed at targets and practice for my boy. I got lots of game bullets too. Thanks for the replies.
deadeer

Next

Return to Reloading for the 450b