Loads for the 240 gn HV Bear Creek Bullet

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Loads for the 240 gn HV Bear Creek Bullet

Postby FSJeeper » Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:40 pm

Finally able to get these Bear Creek 240 gn HV bullets. I check weekly and today they had 2 boxes of 50 in stock for the first time in a very long time

Has anyone found the sweet spot on a load and powder for these yet?

I am going to start with the usual Lil-Gun start loads unless someone has had a better experience with something else.
FSJeeper

Re: Loads for the 240 gn HV Bear Creek Bullet

Postby bighollander » Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:12 pm

I’ve tried them out once. Using WSR primers and 41 gr. of H110. Accuracy was OK. It I was getting a fair amount of unburned power on each shot. Next round I will be trying different loads of H110 and also Lil Gun….I’ll let you know if I find the sweet spot.

Bear Creek sends a load data sheet when you buy the bullets, they suggest 41gr to 45 gr of H110 with a REM 7 1/2 primer.

Also, any thoughts on using CCI550 (Small Pistol Mag) primers?
bighollander

Postby Outdoored » Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:14 am

I too have these ( the tipped design ) and have found great succcess following the load data that came with the bullets. They do not have data for Lil gun powder, and I’m not sure why, but they grouped 3/4 MOA out of my CVA Stalker V2 using H110 powder, Rem 7.5 primer, Starline brass, taper crimped to .475.

I found my accuracy node from 43.7g-44.3g H110 powder at the recommended COAL. These are NOT the ones recommended for AR rifles, as the coal prevents magazine use.
Outdoored

Postby FSJeeper » Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:57 am

Outdoored, thank you for sharing your experience.

I'll be loading some up in July and will start with the recommended load. 3/4" is total success in my book. As expensive and hard to get as
these bullets are, I would love to start with one hand load that rings all the bells without extensive development.

I also have a lot more H110 in my powder stock than Lil-Gun which has been very hard to come by. I would assume Bear Creek did extensive
testing with all powders in the burn rate favorable for the 240 HV bullet including Lil-Gun and H110 is their perfect match for their bullet.

I'll be loading these later in July and report my results. They will be testing in a Custom Mauser 98 and two custom Savage 99's re-barreled for 450 Bushmaster.
FSJeeper

Return to Reloading for the 450b