Unless I'm just dumb LFC is available FS

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Unless I'm just dumb LFC is available FS

Postby RBDMTJager » Thu Aug 25, 2022 5:35 pm

Here is a link to buying a 450 BM Lee Factory Crimp die:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/233436216894
I ordered one.
RBDMTJager

Re: Unless I'm just dumb LFC is available FS

Postby Hoot » Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:47 pm

RBDMTJager wrote:Here is a link to buying a 450 BM Lee Factory Crimp die:
I ordered one.

Midway has them in stock and on sale for $11.69 right now.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Al in Mi » Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:30 am

I've had one a couple years now ;)
Al in Mi

Postby gunner1 » Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:59 pm

Hoot wrote:
I ordered one.

Hoot

Is this one any better than the one that comes in the Hornaday set?
gunner1

Postby Hoot » Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:15 pm

gunner1 wrote:
Hoot wrote:
I ordered one.

Hoot

Is this one any better than the one that comes in the Hornaday set?

Better is a subjective observation. Number one is they're different approaches to the same end, which is adequate neck tension. I have both at my disposal but prefer the Hornady Taper Crimp. In a nutshell: The Lee crimps the mouth of the case and a small portion immediately below it. The Hornady applies a crimp tapering down from the mouth and much further down the case. Again, different means to the same end. Where the Lee really excels in a useful fashion is when its modified to apply the crimp further down from the mouth, leaving the mouth untouched. Unlike bottleneck cartridges, rimless, straight walled cases need to headspace off the mouth of the case running into the stepped end of the chamber. By applying a narrower, more aggressive crimp further down the case than when its applied at the mouth, you can achieve more neck tension while leaving the mouth somewhat wider for catching that end of chamber step and achieving headspace. But, I digress...
I prefer the taper crimp because my experience has been that cases that are taper crimped tend to group a little more tightly than with the finite Lee mouth crimp. At least that's been my experience, especially with smooth-sided bullets like the 250 FTX. The modified Lee FCD that crimps further down the case from the mouth has less impact upon groups as well. The taper crimp applies increased pressure between the bullet and the case wall because its spread over a greater surface area as opposed to a real affirmative bite in a small area. I've never seen a technical exploration that quantifies the difference in actual force measurements, though with the right equipment it could be done. To put it in simpler terms, think of the Lee FCD as applying a deeper bite into the bullet right at the mouth and the taper crimp as applying a more gradual squeeze along a longer path to accomplish the same thing. I do like the Hornady seating die a lot more strongly than the Lee. The Hornady sliding guide sleeve helps align the bullet with the case mouth, negating (IMHO) the need to use the expander die included in the Hornady set. Mine has sat untouched for around 11 years. Redding also makes use of a sliding guide sleeve in their seater dies and possibly some other brands might also. Its the way to go. A lot easier than trying to keep that bullet aligned while raising the press ram, especially with fat fingers in the way ;)

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Return to Reloading for the 450b