hornady 395gr subsonic rounds

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: hornady 395gr subsonic rounds

Postby reddog81 » Tue Jan 10, 2023 9:42 am

That 395 grain data must be hot off the press. I was looking just a few weeks ago to see if there was any heavy bullet load data on their site and that was not there.
reddog81

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Wed Jan 11, 2023 8:23 am

There will be times in this adventure when you’ll find that it’s our own members who are establishing
the groundwork for this cartridge. You will see it published here long before it’s published in any book.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby The Earl o SAmmich » Sun Mar 12, 2023 6:58 pm

Tagging this post.
The Earl o SAmmich

Postby Blm1 » Mon May 08, 2023 6:12 pm

I have my own data on 395 grain Sub X Hornady bullets loaded into once fired brass with 16.7 grains of Lil Gun and CCI 450 Magnum small rifle primers. They average 1031 FPS (nothing over 1050 FPS). They are very pleasant to shoot out of my Ruger American 16” rifle and hit 21.5 inches low compared to the Hornady Black standard ammunition.
Blm1

Postby dantiff3 » Mon May 15, 2023 11:45 am

The 395 SUB-X is certainly an awesome bullet to play around with in this cartridge. I can't seem to upload a picture to this forum (due to size limitations) so if anyone is interested in seeing one recovered from a sand trap, fired at sub velocities. Here's a link to a picture I posted on another forum recently. I've recovered several so far and they all look very consistent in performance.

https://forum.accurateshooter.com/threa ... t-38655263

Dan
dantiff3

Postby Al in Mi » Mon May 15, 2023 3:27 pm

That's about perfect!
Al in Mi

Postby Blm1 » Mon May 22, 2023 7:55 pm

dantiff3 wrote:The 395 SUB-X is certainly an awesome bullet to play around with in this cartridge. I can't seem to upload a picture to this forum (due to size limitations) so if anyone is interested in seeing one recovered from a sand trap, fired at sub velocities. Here's a link to a picture I posted on another forum recently. I've recovered several so far and they all look very consistent in performance.

https://forum.accurateshooter.com/threa ... t-38655263

Dan

Thanks for the photo link. I haven’t recovered any of my rounds and was wondering how they would react. I think myRuger American 450 with my Sub X 395 grain reloads will be pretty good round inside 100 yards with a suppressor.
Blm1

Postby coyote wacker » Tue May 23, 2023 6:15 am

Shooting sub-sonic at game I keep all shots under 70 yards....just poking holes in paper I will stretch shots out to 100 yards....my real reason limiting shots to 70 yards is because energy level is to low beyond 70 yards to low for a ethical harvest....
Just poking a hole in an animal doesn't guarantee a clean harvest....shooting at a distance with sufficient energy is very important...

I do deer control shooting some is is done in areas very close to people and homes using a suppressor and sub-sonic ammo helps keep shots quiet and unknown to those that might and would object....

Have fun shooting 450 Bushmaster sub-sonic its the best caliber I've used to harvest deer size game.....
coyote wacker

Postby Siringo » Thu Jun 22, 2023 9:51 am

Hoot wrote:I typed this last night so it may be out of step with what has been posted since then...

I need to pay closer attention to posts. For quite some time, I've been waiting for something to come along that would encourage me to take my trusty steed out of the safe and go do a range report. Having re-read this and actually following the link, it occurred to me that" how often do you see a jacketed .452 bullet that is so heavy, come along?" Though I'm a fast and light fan in this caliber, it would be interesting to see how these perform. Having now retired, there is no more OT money to support my habit and most of my SS and pension checks are spoken for. I do get an allowance however. Though I just missed it, the next time Midway has free shipping, I will pick up a box and run them through their paces for sheets and grins. Would be interesting to use either 1680 or CFE Blk, both of which I have on hand. Never was impressed with 4227 for velocity with 300 grainers, so it sits in the powder cabinet.

FWW, you can model this in QuickLoad using the .458 Barnes 400gr Flat Nosed Spire Point and simply adjusting the diameter down to .452. In that role, it looks like RL 10X is the best choice for case fill pursuing supersonic and Trailboss for subsonic, though I'm not sure if the 28k psi will cycle or not in the case of the latter. 1680 models well for supersonic also.

Hoot

Howdy Hoot! Been a long time. I haven't shot the 450B much over the past few years. BUT I recently got a suppressor for the beast, so I began playing with it again. A few years ago I have another barrel made with a faster twist (1/16) with the hopes of shooting heavier 45-70 style bullets and velocities. Since all my hunting is deep woods, long distances are 50 yards. Unfortunately the barrel I had made had a mid-length gas system. Not good for this caliber in my opinion. BUT I made it work. Problem with the mid-length is the port pressure is low with the fast powders we use. As you so mentioned, 10X will give enough port pressure to work the action. The Hornady subsonic bullet (395 grain) is a terrific bullet that will replace my Remington 405's (resized). It expands beautifully. I'm running 35 grains of 10X. Velocity is in the 1400 to 1500 fps ranger. Accuracy at a 100 yards is 1 1/2 max for 5 shots. Plenty good for the woods.
Siringo

Previous

Return to Reloading for the 450b