New Powders from Hornady

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

New Powders from Hornady

Postby JimBobTX » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:10 am

Check out the new powders from Hornady.

http://www.shootingtimes.com/ammunition ... index.html
JimBobTX

Re: New Powders from Hornady

Postby Mike » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:08 pm

Sounds interesting.
Mike

Postby BD1 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:43 pm

Wonder what they are exactly? It's hard to imagine a single powder that would be "the best" in both the .308 and .450B Leverevolution loadings.
BD
BD1

Location: Northern Maine, Working on the coast, but home is still Moosehead Lake.

Postby Hoot » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:29 pm

Am I missing something that mentions the 450b? I see no part of the article below the hotlinked "continue article" line. Are those three paragraphs, two above and one below the picture, it?

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby thebrassnuckles » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:15 am

hoot I think its more of an implication that it is for the 450B. they way they talk about difficuty recreating the factory load ad whatnot.
thebrassnuckles

Postby 450b-recluse » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:20 pm

I thought the factory was using 297 in there load.
Are they developing something that will give them better consistency? Thats the big drawback I see with W297 from lot to lot
450b-recluse

Postby wildcatter » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:59 pm

450b-recluse wrote:I thought the factory was using 297 in there load.
Are they developing something that will give them better consistency? Thats the big drawback I see with W297 from lot to lot

Yup, Yup, And Yup, you'll have to work up a load for each lot of 297, the good news is, I see it for $89 bucks for 8 lbs for fresh new stuff, although I was looking last night and didn't find any. I'm thinking that Hodgdon's may actually be for other cartridges, maybe. Guess I'll have to find out what the Burn Rate is, unless someone beats me to it..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Hoot » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:45 pm

I was surprised with my last pound of Lil Gun. It yielded almost an additional 100 fps average over the previous three pounds, for the same load. Seemed to burn a tad faster which is not a bad thing for the lighter loads. Still it caught me by surprise. First couple of shots, I couldn't figure out what was going on. Thought my scale was messed up or something. It's a good argument for getting several pounds from the same lot at a time if you can't justify an 8-pounder based on your use.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Siringo » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:26 pm

Yea -- and it is in 90's here now -- that can be a consideration. Is it temperature sensitive? There is an experiment for you.
Siringo

Postby Hoot » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:11 am

Siringo wrote:Yea -- and it is in 90's here now -- that can be a consideration. Is it temperature sensitive? There is an experiment for you.

That's a valid factor, but I didn't shoot the entire pound on the same hot day. I usually go to the range as soon as it opens and on cool days whenever possible. That's partly why you haven't seen me posting much the past month. I lose my mind when I have to wait 10 minutes between shots for the barrel to cool. Much more prefer temps that allow me to shoot every minute. No, it was noticeably different than the previous batches. What it made me wonder was whether the first 3 pounds were from a weak lot or the last one was from a strong one.

Hoot
Hoot

Next

Return to Reloading for the 450b