How's my crimp?

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: How's my crimp?

Postby gunnut » Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:38 am

Ok "T" tell them what my 45grns. of LiL Gun under a 230grn hard ball/side crimp, looked like! and I'm still shooting it. When my LiL gun runs out I'll go to 45grns of ww296/H110. The recoil is greater then factory ammo and thats when the recoil reducers really start to preform!
gunnut

Postby wildcatter » Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:51 am

gunnut wrote:Ok "T" tell them what my 45grns. of LiL Gun under a 230grn hard ball/side crimp, looked like! and I'm still shooting it. When my LiL gun runs out I'll go to 45grns of ww296/H110. The recoil is greater then factory ammo and thats when the recoil reducers really start to preform!

Yuppers, real speedsters they are and very little to no pressure signs. I don't remember the speeds, but I bet the Gunny does.

As 296/110 is slower, the same charge in them will usually yield even lower pressures. This is what is needed, if speed and then energy is the goal. They might not be as accurate usually (2moa+- or minute of Grizzly), but they will kill much better, provided you use an appropriately constructed bullet for the job at hand.

If you work up from 45gr of H110/296 with a 230, a functional wall will occur well be before the pressure wall, where-in the action starts to open too soon, the inside rim starts to show sign and extraction may even stop at that point, but pressures haven't been reached at that point, provided you have done your part in the reloading process. In other words, with normally safe reloading practices, if extractor marks start to appear (on the inside of the rim, if they are on the face of the rim, you've got to much pressure), when using slower powders than 110/296, just back off a couple of grains. With a 20" barrel, this wall will still show you 2750fps+-. To get through that wall, assuming your loads are still in the normal operating pressure ranges and you want even more top-end performance, you'll have to adjust the gas system, I've written about how to do all of this and will repeat it again, but until someone needs it, let's skip it for now.

All this is necessary right now, because I think 35gr is a low and possibly dangerous load, because of a pressure wave event. The powder manufacturers recommendations, are to never reduce loads more than 3% for 110/296 and not more than 10% for most of the other powders. Don't be afraid of 110/296/1680 etc, just respect them and do the right thing in your processes and wondrous things will appear. But unless the readers reloading experiences are up to these tasks, it might be better to use other powders and more conventional loads and go for the accuracy, with those tame loads and the correct bullet, you've still got more than enough power to dispatch anything that roams the Veldt..t
Last edited by wildcatter on Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby jg5254 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:12 am

wildcatter wrote:When I logged on I thought I'd have to ex-plane what thunk'en was, but I see OMJ and the Hoot Man have got all the bases well covered. I might would only add, that your 35.6 gr of H110 seems a little low and low charges in H110/WW296 are very dangerous practices. If OMJ says to do things things, I'd just throw down my shovel and go to it, if I were you. Oh! What are those things? Well, one would be to use 40gr of 296, cause he-da-man, and the other would be if'en he said go inside and git ya some vittles, I'd just have to git ta gitt'en. In other words, some of these guys in these here parts, got it wrapped up in spades.

Just a reminder for some of you guys that are new to reloading, H110 and WW296 are in essence, the same powders and the data for one can be used for the other..t

Thanks for the info. I was told by a friend of mine who has alot more experiance in reloding than me that 35.6 gr is a lil low, after this I think i'm going to go to lil gun, seems you use less powder for more velocity...

Thanks again
jg5254

Postby Hoot » Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:54 pm

jg5254 wrote:Thanks for the info. I was told by a friend of mine who has alot more experiance in reloding than me that 35.6 gr is a lil low, after this I think i'm going to go to lil gun, seems you use less powder for more velocity...

Thanks again

Keep in mind that steps in the direction of faster powders means keeping a close eye on pressure signs and in the case of this round, I don't mean primer flattening. Threads and posts regarding pressure signs abound here. I've worked with just Lil Gun, N110 and Alliant 2400, not the slower powders, but then I haven't loaded for the heavier bullets either, so my experience is limited to the 250gr bullets and down.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby jg5254 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:20 pm

Thanks Hoot, I will do some research..
Last edited by jg5254 on Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jg5254

Postby wildcatter » Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:29 pm

fyi, though already stated, but worth repeating, factory ammo is loaded with 297, which is slower than 296, which is slower than lil-gun. My self, I'm going back to work with 1680 and heavy crimps, maybe even multiple LeGendre-Side-Crimps. I'm trying to further lower the pressures and at the same time raise the speeds. I've seen the best accuracy with it, being consistent, sub 1/2 moa..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Previous

Return to Reloading for the 450b