Accuracy Load for XTP vs FTX

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Accuracy Load for XTP vs FTX

Postby randyf » Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:00 pm

I ordered some Hornady 250 gr XTP bullets by mistake.
My gun shoots great groups at 100 yds with the 250gr FTX bullets. (clover leaf size 1" or so).

I can't get the XTP bullets to shoot as near as well........what results have others been getting with the XTP bullets and what load are you using?

Also I have some 250gr SST and FTX bullets....whats the difference?
randyf

Re: Accuracy Load for XTP vs FTX

Postby Siringo » Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:14 pm

fxt and sst are the same thing. I could be wrong here, but I believe in the beginning the sst had a more ridged nose. This bullet was used in the sabots for muzzle loaders. The harder point was changed to the flexible tip, hence FXT.
Siringo

Postby 2zero6 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:34 pm

Siringo wrote: I could be wrong here, but I believe in the beginning the sst had a more ridged nose. This bullet was used in the sabots for muzzle loaders. The harder point was changed to the flexible tip, hence FXT.

As far as my memory serves me you are correct sir. I remember reading and seeing a video with that information.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. " - Benjamin Franklin."
Member #55 of the 450b forum.
2zero6

Postby Hoot » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:22 am

Though I've never loaded the 250 gr regular XTP, I have done the 240 gr XTP Mag. My best load was 38 gr of Lil Gun with a Remington 7 1/2 primer and a tight taper crimp (.475). I seated them to 2.03 inches OAL just burying the cannelure for the taper crimp to bite into. Off a bench rest rig it yielded a 5-shot group of 1.3 inches at 100 yards. Best 4 of 5 was 1 inch and best 3 of 5 was 0.6 inch. I can't imagine that aside from different expansion characteristics, it would be much different than the 250, but I could be wrong. This is the same charge and primer that yields my most accurate 250 FTX load as well, other than the OAL.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby the_mad_rshn » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:23 pm

All I can say that in my personal experiance all of my loads above 200gr gave me about the same accuracy - 1" to 2" at 1oo yards with best loads. Those included some 230gr, 240gr, 250gr and 300gr bullets from different manufacturers.
Cheers,
Mad
the_mad_rshn

Return to Reloading for the 450b