Reloading the 460 S&W

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Reloading the 460 S&W

Postby Sackett1013 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:14 pm

Hello to everyone this is my first post. I am new to both the 450 bushmaster and reloading. I am very excited to get started, but i have a question. My friend just bought a 460S&W and is also just getting into reloading, we were looking at both rounds and there doesn't seem to be very much of a differeance between them. So the question, does anyone know if the dies are the same? Could you reload the 450 with the 460 dies and or the other way?
Thanks.
Sackett1013

Re: Reloading the 460 S&W

Postby Atomicdog » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:15 pm

Welcome to the group and welcome to the wonderful world of the 450 Bushmaster. You're sure to fall in love with it. To answer your question directly - No. The 450 Bushmaster and the 460 S&W reloading dies are NOT interchangeable. One should never attempt to load ammunition with dies not made specifically for that ammo type. though the bullets are the same in diameter (.452), that's about where the similarities end between the two.

Facts on the 460S&W(Hornady load data):
http://www.hornady.com/assets/files/ftx ... um_ftx.pdf

Facts on the 450 Bushmaster can be found here (Hornady load data):
http://www.hornady.com/assets/files/ftx ... er_ftx.pdf

welcome again and enjoy!
Atomicdog

Postby Sackett1013 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:45 pm

Thanks for the quick reply. I was pretty sure that was the case but i wanted to make sure. I am excited to start loading and hunting with the 450.
Sackett1013

Postby Mike » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:30 pm

Not so fast......
I use a modified 45-70 set of dies. All is not what it seems.

Measure the two loaded cases. THe two most important are the case mouth and the case head diameters.

Im thinking that possibly the 460 might work, but I would have to sit down with both shells and a set of dies to tell you if it would work. My main concern would be what it the case hease diameter of the 460 and is it relatively the same size as the 450 bm.
Mike

Postby Hoot » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:20 pm

Mike wrote:...snip... My main concern would be what is the case head diameter of the 460 and is it relatively the same size as the 450 bm.

Off to a bad start right there. The .460 S&W has a case head diameter of .478 and the 450b is .500.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby wildcatter » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:27 pm

Now I'm really going to muddy the waters.

Mikey and Atomicdog , both are correct. Don't be surprised, two positives can and are often both correct. Both of the Gentlemen here, are saying the same thing from different approaches. Only with truly opposing arguments, can only one be correct, or both could be incorrect, that is, in the real world, outside of the ACLU types.

You've got to realize that Mikey is an expert and can do all manor of weird things, I do them as well, as an everyday experience. But there are some things to consider.. As the factory chambers are quite tight and Sackett1013 is a new reloader, the fact that reloading is an endeavor that voids your warranty, but has far too many rewards to ignore, and, you are the only one responsible for your safety, in other words, you break something, gun, fingers, or worst, means, lick your wounds and then get back up on the horse and do-not blame anyone else, but yourself. The fact that guys like Mike-the-Spite is one of our guys that run around here with their hair on fire, means, you as a new reloader, must stay to the "Book", at the very least. Down the road, usually after many years, then experimenting "Could" be in order, maybe. In the mean time, read what these high-end engineer types are doing, read everything you can get your hands on, reloading manual are great starting sources, ask these guys the tough questions, they've been there and are willing to help the new guys, we've all been new and if you're like me, still Brand Spanking New and every so often I take the Spanking. Do all these ideas and then gain even more experience and only then, decide what you are willing to do. Many, just don't want to take the chance or feel they are just not up to the task, but many go on and some even write here, thus, many of the things here, are written for and by Professionals (some are not Pros, but are as experienced or maybe even more so, than the so-called Professional) and should not be attempted by the under-experienced. Worst yet is the fact none of us are English Majors and our Prose is never up to snuff, so for petes-sake, don't fully trust what you are ever reading, here or anywhere else!!

This site is a GM "Style" Proving-Ground and folks in these parts are sharing recipes and strategies, take from these post only the things you think you can deal with, realize that the material you are reading here, are things that are happening in that persons gun, "Only", and your results can and will be far different. As a general rule, one should not attempt to duplicate this data, unless you already know how to cook. So, my new friends, come on in, the kitchen is warm and the soup is hot, but be careful not to burn yourself..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby oldmanjeffers » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:11 am

Sackett1013

I would read everything here on re-loading this cartridge and then read it again, Their are some "short cuts" using other equipment other than the hornady dies but in my opinion it's not necessarily for the "new reloader". I would read all the books you can on re-loading before you start into this hobby, IMO this is a advanced cartridge to start with and if this is your first go around with re-loading I would just invest the money in the proper die set and then have someone from here go over it with you. I do not use the Hornady dies, I use a mix of 45acp, .284WIN, And 45-70 dies with modifications and spacers. Why? Because I could not bring my self to drop that much money on a die set that I bascily already had. I started reloading with my dad when I was about 10, 25 years later I'm still learning and just about 2 months ago I had to take a step back and take a long look at my procedures, I had two uncharged cases (9mm) in a 50 round lot, Had I not stopped and checked why the gun just went pop instead of wham I would have smoked a brand new XDM and potently myself and the people around me. I removed the lodged bullet and loaded up another mag, a few round into it, Again a pop. at that point I stopped and packed up my things. When I got home I sarted weighing EVERY round I have loaded for all calibers.

I share this not to be a know it all but just as words of caution. Please be careful and unless you know what your doing and know what to look and listen for stick to the proper equipment and factory load data. Your results could be WAY different in your rifle when deemed Safe in another's, Heck some of these guys have hand built, Custom rifles that will and do run differently then our "Off the shelf" rifles.

Feel free to hit me up anytime, I'll share everything I know BUT your responsible for yourself and at your own risk should you use any of the advice on these forums or PM's.
We're all in this together
oldmanjeffers

Postby Sackett1013 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:38 pm

Thanks to everyone for there advise. I am planning on buying the 450 dies. I have read alot in this forum and others about reloading and the more i read it seems the less I understand. I am going to take it one step at a time, and hope for the best. If there are any members here from the Houston area that would like to get together to reload, shoot, or hunt, just let me know.

Once again i would like to thank everyone for there help. This forum is a great place to find info on this round and it seems like everyone is trying to help everyone else, regaurdless of there skill level.
Sackett1013

Postby oldmanjeffers » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:49 pm

Do you pig hunt their Sackett1013? If so I might just drive down and take you up on the hunting offer! ;)
We're all in this together
oldmanjeffers

Postby BayouBob » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:52 pm

You are going to love shooting Thumper. Reloading is a very simple, straightforward process as long as you follow the instructions and recipes from the major suppliers of equipment and components. Don't cut any corners; don't vary from the loads that are listed; don't be distracted by the TV or the kids or a buddy. Concentrate so that you do every step correctly and double check everything. Look in every case to make sure the charge is the same. Measure every case and every loaded round to make sure they are correct. The first time you launch a round that you built yourself you will feel a great sense of accomplishment and pride. I've been re-loading for 40 years and I still get a charge out of a successful re-load. Learn everything you can from books and from souces like this board. Pay particular attention to the mistakes you read about; the guys on this board have already made just about every mistake that can be invented. No need to re-plow that ground. When you get the basics down and understand the science find something new and teach us geezers; we're all still learning.
My Daddy was wrong when he said: "When a man turns 60 he ought to be able to trade his testicles in on a new set of teeth." Oatmeal and soup don't sound too bad.
BayouBob

Next

Return to Reloading for the 450b