Reloading the 460 S&W

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: Reloading the 460 S&W

Postby Mike » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:36 am

Wow is it really that far a difference?? What a bite in the arse.

Well then, just get a 45/70 sizer die and full length size with it, then use the 460 stuff for the rest of the case assembly.

But, then..........are those 460 dies roll crimp or taper crimp????????

Lord this is hard work.

BTW, Why hasnt lee made a friggin set of dies yet?????????? Complete with the FCD??????? Would that be too much to ask??
Mike

Postby Hoot » Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:11 am

Mike wrote:...snip
BTW, Why hasnt lee made a friggin set of dies yet?????????? Complete with the FCD??????? Would that be too much to ask??

Because given the cost of adding the tooling to mass produce them down to the price point we've come to expect from Lee would eclipse the amount of money they would recover in selling them at their profit margin. The 450b is just not popular enough to make it a logical business decision. In these uncertain economic times, businesses don't add products for philanthropic reasons. They need to be able to expect a reasonable return on their investment in a reasonable amount of time. Look at how many companies make how many different cartridges as a clue. There's a lot more profit in selling complete cartridges and all we can attract is one token effort from Hornady and one possibly, maybe, someday from Remington. Like you, I like my dies as affordable as possible. I have a drawer full of popular caliber dies that were affordable. If you're in for the long haul, buy the Hornady dies. They do a good job.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Clipity » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:36 am

Hoot wrote:

Because given the cost of adding the tooling to mass produce them down to the price point we've come to expect from Lee would eclipse the amount of money they would recover in selling them at their profit margin. The 450b is just not popular enough to make it a logical business decision. In these uncertain economic times, businesses don't add products for philanthropic reasons. They need to be able to expect a reasonable return on their investment in a reasonable amount of time. Look at how many companies make how many different cartridges as a clue. There's a lot more profit in selling complete cartridges and all we can attract is one token effort from Hornady and one possibly, maybe, someday from Remington. Like you, I like my dies as affordable as possible. I have a drawer full of popular caliber dies that were affordable. If you're in for the long haul, buy the Hornady dies. They do a good job.

Hoot

So the 50 Beowulf's popular enough for Lee to make dies but not the 450b :(
Clipity

Postby Mike » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:15 pm

Or the 6mm/06? 30/284? 41 swiss?

Oh Well, I scabbed a set of dies up for my buddy. I used an old set of 458 win mag dies whittled down past the magnum belt. Works very well to boot. Like I said. Not all is what it seems.
Mike

Postby Colohunter » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:06 pm

Clipity wrote:
Hoot wrote:

Hoot

So the 50 Beowulf's popular enough for Lee to make dies but not the 450b :(

I believe Alexander Arms probably had a lot to do with Lee making the 50 Beowulf dies. When I had considered the 50 you could get "Alexander Arms" or Lee dies. But they looked exactly the same, the AA version just cost more. I would imagine AA had bought enough of the 50 dies to get Lee going, then they continued to make them since the tooling was set up.
Colohunter

Postby Clipity » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:49 pm

Yea that sounds about right, it would just be nice to get some quality sub $30 dies. Oh well, guess I'll have to pony up the $65 for the Hornady dies when I start reloading.
Clipity

Previous

Return to Reloading for the 450b