Cheaper bullet for shooting paper

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: Cheaper bullet for shooting paper

Postby wildcatter » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:35 pm

oldmanjeffers wrote:
I need a couple of things. I've got to do some proofing, and I need some shooters, that are as loony as they get. If they are not Loony, they will be after I get done with them.

I'm in!

Your supplying the rifle right?

RIFLES, gona burn up a bunch of'em..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby oldmanjeffers » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:12 pm

Lets do it!

Are all these rounds going to be hand loaded? Or are you going to get say... Hornady to do it for US? ;)
We're all in this together
oldmanjeffers

Postby Colohunter » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:18 pm

This sounds very interesting, I am quite curious how this goes.
Colohunter

Postby MudBug » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:18 am

Colohunter wrote:This sounds very interesting, I am quite curious how this goes.

Me to.
Eric

"A coward is much more disposed to quarrels than a man of spirit." - Thomas Jefferson

"War is less costly than servitude. The choice is always between Verdun and Dachau." - Jean Dutourd
MudBug
Site Admin

Postby gunnut » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:41 am

I may not have proofed the 450B @ 50K. But, Someone here pointed out that my 45grns of LiL Gun & 230grn. fmj is in the 50K psi range. I've shot about 300rds so far. My gun and I are still here!
A thing I noticed is that with the increased energy, I'm not generating any more recoil using reducers. I'll have to go back and set bench marks for the load,With and without reducers. It's looking like the existing recoil reducers react more with the increase in energy holding down the recoil.
gunnut

Postby BD1 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:33 pm

Even though I'm a dyed in the wool cast boolit fanatic, I would not recommend cast boolits for this test for two reasons: First; The lube gunk will require far more cleaning through the course of the test. Second; Without monitoring the barrel throughout the test you could get some leading as the barrel really heats up which will result in very inconsistent, (possibly very high), pressures. A jacketed bullet will provide more consistent results and IMHO a more valid test. Unfortunately the days of US surplus .45 components are pretty much over. Maybe you could talk one of the manufacturers into a special deal on a run of RNFPs with the premise that your research will result increased sales?
BD
BD1

Location: Northern Maine, Working on the coast, but home is still Moosehead Lake.

Postby Jailer » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:48 pm

Why not roll your own jacketed bullets? A guy over on the CastBoolits site offers a set of swaging dies to make .451 bullets out of spent .40 S&W brass. Someone already asked about a .452 die and he said he could do it. I've got access to a bunch of .40 brass from work (about 10k per year) that would work perfectly for this. I know it's not 250k but it's a start.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=91441
Jailer

Postby Hoot » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:56 pm

Jailer wrote:Why not roll your own jacketed bullets? A guy over on the CastBoolits site offers a set of swaging dies to make .451 bullets out of spent .40 S&W brass. Someone already asked about a .452 die and he said he could do it. I've got access to a bunch of .40 brass from work (about 10k per year) that would work perfectly for this. I know it's not 250k but it's a start.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=91441

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=910

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Previous

Return to Reloading for the 450b