whats the most weight this cartridge can handel?

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: whats the most weight this cartridge can Handel?

Postby thebrassnuckles » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:59 pm

oldmanjeffers wrote:
I just got laid off on Saturday so I've got some time on my hands :D

Bummer man, good luck.
thebrassnuckles

Re: whats the most weight this cartridge can handel?

Postby bushmeister » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:23 pm

The working worlds loss, but our gain!
bushmeister

Postby oldmanjeffers » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:07 am

Thanks guys! It's just 'till work picks up again, We've got a big job starting for a new dam going up in Montana, This is the first time in 5+ years that I've been laid off, I'm looking at it as a little vacation.
We're all in this together
oldmanjeffers

Postby 2zero6 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:46 am

oldmanjeffers wrote:Thanks guys! It's just 'till work picks up again, We've got a big job starting for a new dam going up in Montana, This is the first time in 5+ years that I've been laid off, I'm looking at it as a little vacation.

Ha, I have been on the very same "vacation" for the last 3 months so your not alone brother.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. " - Benjamin Franklin."
Member #55 of the 450b forum.
2zero6

Postby redspringfarm » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:41 pm

I have a 500 gr. mold for some .458 spear point. So if I rezise it to 452 and put it in a lath and boat tail it, at what velosity would I have to put a gas check on it? 800 to 900 feet per second would be sufficient.
redspringfarm

Postby wildcatter » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:04 pm

redspringfarm wrote:I have a 500 gr. mold for some .458 spear point. So if I rezise it to 452 and put it in a lath and boat tail it, at what velosity would I have to put a gas check on it? 800 to 900 feet per second would be sufficient.

Generally speaking, soft lead doesn't get into leading problems until you get above 1500fps and faster speeds for the hard lead varieties. At which gas checks, if done correctly will, protect the barrel to 3000fps.

So you 800/900fps shouldn't be a problem.

You won't need to lathe your 458's just draw them down, the data is in the data base. I myself, wouldn't worry about boat tails, at the speeds and distances you are going to be shooting at, I doubt you'd see any positive effects, at all.

But, there are guys on here that have their stuff in little balls, in the lead department and they know who they are. They are the last word as far as I'm concerned..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby wildcatter » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:10 am

BD1 wrote:A few months ago I ordered a check maker to make taller gas checks for the .450B. I'm still waiting for it to get made. My hope is that having a gas check taller than the diameter of the gas port will help the accuracy with cast boolits.
BD

BD..

How are those gas Checks coming?

I just made a modification to the gas port, for an application that may become quite popular. Problem is, the new port is .125". I'm thinking you may be correct in wanting the check to be bigger than the port, which means, for my use, I'll need a cup depth of say, .135".

Does this do anything for your day. The die and mandrel could be made for any size or depth of Check.

FYI, I have a high-end Tool & Die Machinist working at LeMAG, I think we could duplicate this work and even make it better??..t

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gas-Check-Making-To ... 0379161702
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby BD1 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:57 am

I spoke with him last week. He said he's producing the .45 check makers now, mine will be the last of the run as it's "custom" to get taller checks.

BD
BD1

Location: Northern Maine, Working on the coast, but home is still Moosehead Lake.

Postby 45r » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:57 pm

I wonder if you got a mold and milled the top enough to make the gas check come up to the bottom of the rear band eliminating the bottom grease groove,that might help keep the gas from eroding the bullet because of the grease groove.I have a custom Mtn Mold 315GC bullet mold with the step shank that I use in my 45 colt and I will try(unmodified,works to good and expensive in the colt to change) if I can find a 20 inch 450BM upper for my Colt H-bar elite.They seem hard to find right now.My Colt lower is a BK code so it was made by bushmaster a long time ago and it should fit well I think.I think I'd like to try the 450BM out.Sounds like fun and would work well on the big deer around here.
45r

Postby wildcatter » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:44 pm

45r wrote:I wonder if you got a mold and milled the top enough to make the gas check come up to the bottom of the rear band eliminating the bottom grease groove,that might help keep the gas from eroding the bullet because of the grease groove.I have a custom Mtn Mold 315GC bullet mold with the step shank that I use in my 45 colt and I will try(unmodified,works to good and expensive in the colt to change) if I can find a 20 inch 450BM upper for my Colt H-bar elite.They seem hard to find right now.My Colt lower is a BK code so it was made by bushmaster a long time ago and it should fit well I think.I think I'd like to try the 450BM out.Sounds like fun and would work well on the big deer around here.

Humm.. Lots of guys around here will hook you up with an upper, there seems to be tons of them on the net. Your idea sounds interesting, there are some guys here working on that problem, sounds like you can contribute to the fray.

Besides, Welcome aboard the Board..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Previous

Return to Reloading for the 450b