whats the most weight this cartridge can handel?

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

whats the most weight this cartridge can handel?

Postby jg5254 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:53 pm

Swift A-Frame Bullets 45 Caliber (452 Diameter) 325 Grain Hollow Point? anyone use somthing this heavy? im using H110 powder. not looking to go further that 100 yards

Technical Information

•Caliber: 45
•Bullet Diameter: 0.452
•Bullet Weight: 325 Grains
•Bullet Length: 0.895"
•Bullet Style: Hollow Point
•Bullet Coating: Non-Coated

Ballistics Information:

•Sectional Density: 0.227
•Ballistic Coefficient: 0.171
Last edited by jg5254 on Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jg5254

Re: whats the most weight this cartridge can handel?

Postby oldmanjeffers » Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:50 pm

Click on the forum index and then click on the reloading forum. Theirs good info in " Hornady 300 XTP Mag for the 450? " thread. Didn't have any specific load data for your bullets but IMO some good starting data can be found their.
We're all in this together
oldmanjeffers

Postby Siringo » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:02 pm

Someplace in there is a thread where I had tried the Hornady 325's for the 45-70 (resized though). I pushed them about 1800 fps out of a 16 inch barrel using LG.
Siringo

Postby BD1 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:51 pm

I shot 50 of the 325 grain FTX bulllets sized to .452 and they functioned fine. I've used cast boolits up to 425 grains, but I did have a few issues. The limiting factor seems to be the heel of the longer projectiles bulging the sides of the case which causes the round to wedge in the chamber.
BD
BD1

Location: Northern Maine, Working on the coast, but home is still Moosehead Lake.

Postby Siringo » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:54 am

I found my post int he AR15 section -- on page 8. The charge I ended up with was 29.1 grs of LG with a WSR primer. Around 1750 fps. Accuracy was excellent at 100 yards.
Siringo

Postby Mike » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:35 pm

So.......if we may ask, are you shooting at under 100 yards and needin such a heavy bullet for? Not tryin to be nosey, just curious.
Mike

Postby the_mad_rshn » Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:05 pm

BD1 wrote:I shot 50 of the 325 grain FTX bulllets sized to .452 and they functioned fine. I've used cast boolits up to 425 grains, but I did have a few issues. The limiting factor seems to be the heel of the longer projectiles bulging the sides of the case which causes the round to wedge in the chamber.
BD

Hey BD,

How are you, sir? Hey. were you ever able to figure out the problem with shooting lead in the 450B AR? I remember the last I have heard was that you thought the problem is due to the gas port in the barrel. Any progress? I built a 7.62x39 AR a couple months ago and tried shooting the Lee 155gr WW, heat treated, gas checked bullets. The results seemed better than shooting the Bushy with the LEE 300gr sized to .454" bullets. They are also heat treated and gas checked.
Cheers,
Mad
the_mad_rshn

Postby pitted bore » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:44 pm

The most weight?

If you look back to a thread started last May, "Help with subsonic load", you will find that forum member J-bird was shooting 550-grain 458 bullets resized to 452. That's pretty heavy.

Link to that thread: http://450bushmaster.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=719

Loading bullets in this weight range is not a project to be undertaken lightly.

--Bob
pitted bore

Postby BD1 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:43 am

A few months ago I ordered a check maker to make taller gas checks for the .450B. I'm still waiting for it to get made. My hope is that having a gas check taller than the diameter of the gas port will help the accuracy with cast boolits.
BD
BD1

Location: Northern Maine, Working on the coast, but home is still Moosehead Lake.

Postby wildcatter » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:14 pm

Pretty much any bullet you can shove into the case and still chamber the round. As has been pointed out, the longer bullets come into contact with the taper, on the inside of the case. The case then expands and finally wont allow chambering the finished round. The 458 socom will handle longer bullets, due to the fact that it is a low pressure pistol case and thus has far less metal in the web, with much less inside taper.

If really long/heavy bullets are wanted and I don't know what weight that would be, one could make a bullet as long as the inside of the case and fill the magazine at the same time (2.260" OAL). Use something like 3 grains of xyz powder, it'll go boom. To allow for the inside taper of the case, you'd have to have a really long boat-tail, so chambering would not be hampered. Such a bullet would be in the 900-1000+ grain area.

So you lead guys might have a little project here. What if you weighed a case case with a 3/8 inch hole through the primer pocket. Now seat your favorite lead bullet, as normal, and through the primer pocket pour in molten lead. Now weight that cooled case again and subtract the original weight, that would be the outside max weight bullet. With a little applied heat, one might be able to extract that bullet and get some really great pics and beside you'd have the exact tapper, of the shade-tree boat-tail and bragging rights, to making the heaviest 450bushmaster bullet.

Who will be first..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Next

Return to Reloading for the 450b