whats the most weight this cartridge can handel?

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: whats the most weight this cartridge can handel?

Postby oldmanjeffers » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:58 pm

I'm on it wildcatter!

BTW looking to re-locate, Got any work their for me?
We're all in this together
oldmanjeffers

Postby wildcatter » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:27 am

Ok, OMJ-Da-Man is building the biggest baddest BigBoy 450b bullet of all time. What is your guess at the weight of the bullet? I'll start.

I guess 1137grs.

Just a thought, if you drill a very shallow hole into the base of the bullet, say just the point of a 7/16th drill, you might get two three grains of powder into that case and you might get 300-500+fps??? Humm..

I won't be ready for extra help, until next spring at the earliest.

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby pitted bore » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:35 pm

wildcatter wrote:What is your guess at the weight of the bullet? I'll start. I guess 1137grs.

T-
If OMJ could cast the bullet from pure gold, you could raise your estimate to 1932 grains. That's pretty heavy.

(Don't laugh; I recall reading that Charles Rowland of muzzleloading-benchrest fame about 1900 did some experimenting with gold bullets because of their great density. He fired into wood so he could recover his gold.)

A bullet of machined depleted uranium would weigh a smidgen less than a solid gold bullet. However, if you could drop some osmium or iridium pellets into the gold bullet, that might boost the weight a bit. The problem would be to locate the pellets concentrically.

--Bob
pitted bore

Postby wildcatter » Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:27 am

That's what I like most about this site, the sky's not the limit, for development..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby oldmanjeffers » Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:48 pm

As of today the heaviest I've been able to make is 661.7 grs.

I took a once fired 284/450 case and drilled out the flash hole to 3/16, I made a bullet tip mold out of a piece of 1/2 delrin and recessed the "bullet tip mold" just enough to be able to hold the case while I poured. The trick was being able to get the case up to temp so I didn't get the stacking effect of the lead cooling to quickly. I attempted to "fuse" a 210 gr LFN with a wadcutter made from a full case of lead but could not get a bond that I would ever be comfortable shooting. The bullet I did make is 1.868 in long, It starts of at .452 at the base of the case mouth and goes down to .411. This would also be the ID dimensions of my piece of once fired un sized 284/450 brass. The piece of brass I used as a "mold" is 1.697 OAL.

Neat stuff, With a little more refinement of my technique I could problem kick out some neat bullets, But I would never fire this round from MY rifle!

If I were serious about making a heavyweight bullet I would simply chuck up some brass round stock and bond a piece of depleted uranium as the core, While I was at it I would make four tungsten fins that would deploy after leaving the barrel to stabilize this monster for some added stability and in turn increase accuracy and improve the effective range.

I would like to paperpatch a few of these lead bullets and fire them from my Black powder rifle at a row of milk jugs! Now that I would be willing to do.
Last edited by oldmanjeffers on Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oldmanjeffers

Postby oldmanjeffers » Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:49 pm

Oh ya, I'll get some pics up of the bullet ASAP
oldmanjeffers

Postby oldmanjeffers » Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:30 pm

OK here's an update, After looking at this bullet and thinking "It's gotta weigh more than 661.7" I checked it with my other scale and sure enough it's right at 740 gr. My scale I use to re-load with doesn't read accurately after 500 grs? I can put a known weight of 300 grains on it, and its accurate (299.4) If I were to put two 300 gr bullets on it it reads 599.4 (to be expected) but if I put 3 300 gr bullets on it it reads 684.7? It says it a 50 g scale?

Any-Who, The bullet I made is at 740 grs, I weighted it on a scale that goes to 1500 grs.
oldmanjeffers

Postby thebrassnuckles » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:41 am

so, you used a once fired 284 case?

wouldnt you not be able to fit that into a sized case for reloading?

could you use a sized 450 case?
thebrassnuckles

Postby wildcatter » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:16 am

Way-to-Go-Jeff!!!

740grs!!!!!!!!!

Boy-O-Boy, are the nay Sayers, on the other channels, going to Balk at those numbers!! Take that Socom!

Now, if you get a viable bullet, use a drill point to allow for just a little-bit of powder. You might get something in the 900fps+- area, with a 740 grainer. You'll need some push, IMO, so powders of the 296 or 1680, might be the trick. But, if lil-gun is all you've got right now, give her that juice, just do not use much powder, of any kind.

Holy Cow, this is getting interesting!

Good Work Jeffery..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Re: whats the most weight this cartridge can Handel?

Postby oldmanjeffers » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:30 am

Brass knucks, The idea was to use the 284 case because the wall thickness is greater on it then the Hornady brass, I figured I could stuff this monster into a sized piece of hornady brass and not worry about any side crimp.

I started of doing this just to see if it could be done easily and found it could, Now I seriously am thinking about giving it a go. I'm going to make the same "mold" I made from delrin out of a piece of 5/8 aluminum and set up a few molding stations.

My wife took the good camera back to school with her so I can't any pics today, But thought I give the step by step process a try and share it here, I've got big shoes to fill but will do my best.

I just got laid off on Saturday so I've got some time on my hands :D
oldmanjeffers

PreviousNext

Return to Reloading for the 450b