Hodgdon 4198

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Hodgdon 4198

Postby oldmanjeffers » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:12 pm

I picked up two pounds of H4198 yesterday for some .223 loads and then got to thinking about it's usefulness in the 450 cartridge. I plugged in a search here for "4198" and got some hits but nothing concrete. So, did any of you's guys come up with anything? I'm sitting on about 400 plated 230 gr .451 bullets and thought if I kept the velocity low using this powder I could get away with shooting them, Just plinking stuff.

Can any of you calculate what a good starting point would be?

Thanks in advance

Jeff
We're all in this together
oldmanjeffers

Re: Hodgdon 4198

Postby pitted bore » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:54 pm

Jeff-

All the guys that know what they're doing must be out hunting, because your question has been around for 4 days with no answer. I'll write a response which may contain some errors. I have not tried IMR-4198 with 230-grain plated bullets, so I'm extrapolating from what I think I know.

4198 is a slow powder for the 450B case; it's considerably below 4227 on most rankings of burn speed and 4227 is the slowest Hornady has tested. Wildcatter has played with 1630, which is also slower than 4227 on many charts, but 1630 is faster than 4198. The principal problem with a slow powder in the 450B is getting it ignited and burning well. A good burn requires pressure.

As you may recall, in a post on 6 September Wildcatter talked about possibly working with 4198. In the same post he mentioned using 300 grain bullets with triple side crimps. The inertia of the heavy bullet, coupled with the side crimps to retard movement, may allow pressures to get high enough to permit the 4198 powder to burn well in his case.

You're working with a 230-grain bullet that is relatively light for the 450B. Yes, there are lots of successful trials reported with that weight on this forum, but they are all with Lil'Gun or a similar faster powder.

You're also working with a plated bullet. Several forum members have described some problems with these.

If you try loads with 4198 and these bullets, I'll predict that problems with unburned powder and possible hangfires will occur, even with a case stuffed full of powder. If you find otherwise, I'll be delighted to have been proven wrong.

Hopefully other forum members will chime in with predictions and advice based on their greater experience and knowledge.

--Bob
pitted bore

Postby Siringo » Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:49 pm

Go into the forum index on this site, subsection -- 450 B reloading -- and search for 4227. I have a post there where I tried that powder to do exactly what you want to do with 4198. My results were poor.
Siringo

Postby oldmanjeffers » Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:00 pm

Thanks guys

I did see your results siringo, And was wondering what if anything would be different, Guess I'll need to buy a bolt gun in .223 now to justify having this powder around! :P

Or a nice bull barrel upper....

Anyone need a 16" 556 upper? Heck I might even be willing to sell the hole thing (m4)
We're all in this together
oldmanjeffers

Return to Reloading for the 450b