Getting started on a Barnes load

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Getting started on a Barnes load

Postby Weapon of Choice » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:46 pm

I'm going to give these a try. Wish me luck! It's a big ol' bullet!

450 Copper load by Shadow Dog, on Flickr

My 450 Bushmaster by Shadow Dog, on Flickr
Last edited by Weapon of Choice on Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Weapon of Choice

Re: Getting started on a Barnes load

Postby Siringo » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:43 am

At the top of this site is the knowledge base. In there is a load for the Barnes. Do not expand the case neck after sizing -- leave just "as sized". That will provide better neck tension since the Barnes Bullets are .451" versus .452". In doing so you will not need to side crimp, just use the taper crimp.

The load listed is the one I used. It is not as accurate as the factory ammo, but plenty good for the range of this cartridge. 34.5 grs of Lil'Gun, Winchester Small Rifle. Although, I also had used 35.0 grains with no problems -- per Slash.

Good luck and good hunting!
Siringo

Postby Weapon of Choice » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:02 am

Thanks Siringo,
I'm using that data. I'm starting with a 20% reduction on the 34.5 grain load and working up. I hope it works out ok because this is my only option for pig here in the CA Condor zone. However, it may hold up better than the FTX on big hogs.
Weapon of Choice

Re: Getting started on a Barnes load**updated**

Postby Weapon of Choice » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:27 pm

Today was my second attempt with this load. The first time out it was apparent I did not have the taper crimp tight enough. As per forum member Siringo's load data posted in the knowledge base I am loading the Barnes 275 grain XPB .451(460 SW) over 34.5 grains of Lil'Gun. I used new Hornady 450 BM brass. The only prep to the brass was a slight chamfer on the case mouth. With this last 6 bullets I had left from the box I put a very heavy taper crimp on them.

With the first loads I did, the crimp was not visible. This time it was. The very end of the case mouth had a smoothed look. I checked them with my calipers set to .475 and to be honest I think they were very slightly under but it just kind of depended how I held the two together... it was close. Next I gave them the "thunk test" and got a nice "thunk" so I figured I'd give them a try.

I set my target at 75 yards. I fired these from a concrete bench. I was not as steady as I should have been because my chroney was not lined up exactly so I could only rest the rifle on the front bag. Instead of resting the butt on the rear bag I had to pull it into my shoulder to have proper alinement with the chroney.

So here is the first 3 shot group. Two went into the same hole. The next 3 shot group was a clover leaf but off the target because I changed my aim point to a dot at the top of another target. This load shoots about 4 inches higher than the Hornady 250FTX. Average velocity for the six shots was 1962fps. According to the Barnes manual the 275 grain XPB expands reliably at 1400 fps. The ballistic tables put it at just over 1400fps at 150 yards with a mv of 1900fps so expansion should be really good in the 100 to 150 yard range. Fifty yard vel. would be just over 1700 so it might shear petals at 50. I am pretty pleased with the results so I will buy another box and shoot some 100 groups.

450 BM 3 shot group by Shadow Dog, on Flickr
Weapon of Choice

Postby Siringo » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:34 pm

Very, very nice!
Siringo

Postby bushmeister » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:31 am

Nice group! Can you post a pic of how the cartridge looks loaded up? I'd like to see how deep it sets in the brass.
bushmeister

Postby Weapon of Choice » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:47 pm

bushmeister wrote:Nice group! Can you post a pic of how the cartridge looks loaded up? I'd like to see how deep it sets in the brass.

Sorry for some dumb reason I didn't get a picture of a loaded round. I need to buy some more bullets before I can get you a pic of a loaded one. In the mean time, I can tell you I seat to just below the top cannelure so it does not interfere with the taper crimp and it also just happens to be about 2.23 OAL
seat by Shadow Dog, on Flickr
Weapon of Choice

Postby bushmeister » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:37 am

That's what I was wondering, if the top cannelure was exposed or not. Looks like a great option.
bushmeister

Postby Hoot » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:00 am

I'm in deer camp, so this is a crude attempt to show what taper crimp approach has worked best for me with bullets that sport a cannelure. I seat so that the cannelure just barely peeks over the casemouth and that allows the taper crimp to bite better IMHO. Here's an exaggerated diagram of how I do it and I've had consistent, good results:

Good Luck and I'll be posting from deer camp in the outdoors sub-forum.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby wildcatter » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:25 pm

Hoot wrote:I'm in deer camp, so this is a crude attempt to show what taper crimp approach has worked best for me with bullets that sport a cannelure. I seat so that the cannelure just barely peeks over the casemouth and that allows the taper crimp to bite better IMHO. Here's an exaggerated diagram of how I do it and I've had consistent, good results:

[ http://i52.tinypic.com/16ba3ax.jpg ]

Good Luck and I'll be posting from deer camp in the outdoors sub-forum.

Hoot

Great Crudes, now don't come home with the Venison Sausage..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Next

Return to Reloading for the 450b