Reloading with Barnes Spit-Fire T-EZ

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Reloading with Barnes Spit-Fire T-EZ

Postby tiger27 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:05 pm

Hey there folks, I've been looking for an alternative to the FTX for reloading. Barnes makes some nice pistol bullets, but nothing tipped. I was looking at their Spit-Fire T-EZ Muzzle loader bullets. They are 250 or 290 grain .451 diameter and lead free for that great weight retention and expansion and have the polymer tips like the TTSX. Has anyone tried these yet? You can now buy the bulk pack of 75 without the sabots. Im thinking I'm going to load some up in place of the Hornady's. Was kindo of hoping someone might have tried it?? Thanks in advance.
tiger27

Re: Reloading with Barnes Spit-Fire T-EZ

Postby Hoot » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:01 am

Keep in mind that any bullet, regardless of manufacturer or material used, that is made for muzzle loading will be designed to expand at modest to low velocities. It would be nice to see an affordable .452 bullet with decent BC, designed for optimum expansion at slightly higher velocities than encountered in muzzle loaders or pistols.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Siringo » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:36 am

I had tried these quite a while ago. The bullets were to long and I had to file the tip down flush with the jacket - otherwise it would be seated so deep that it was past the ogive of the bullet. Also, they fouled the barrel something fierce with copper. All of the current Barnes bullets made for direct rifling contact have bands machined into the bullet to prevent fouling. Instead I would recommend the 275 grain .451 diameter bullet made for the 460 S&W Magnum. This can be pushed to 2000 fps+ with 34.5 grains of LG and a WSR primer.
Siringo

Postby lucasphi20 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:48 am

I'm glad I read this first I was about to order some of these. It would be nice to have a boat tail bullet we could use.
“If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.”
General George S. Patton Jr., USA
lucasphi20

Postby pitted bore » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:59 pm

lucasphi20 wrote:It would be nice to have a boat tail bullet we could use.

It's probably possible to put either of the Barnes 458 SOCOM bullets through a bullet sizing die to produce 452 dia bullets
  • #45863 Tipped TAC-TX Bullet 300 Grain Boat Tail Lead-Free, BC=0.236
  • #45872 Tipped Triple-Shock X Bullet 300 Grain Spitzer Boat Tail Lead-Free, BC=0.238
I'm unclear how much the boat tail contributes to ballistic performance. At the velocities that can be obtained with the smaller 45 cases, the few thousandths the boat tail may add to a BC value will make little practical difference in trajectory or remaining velocity. If the bullets were stuffed into the 460 Wby case, the boat tail might make a measurable difference.

Barnes' own pointed original 458 bullet #45701 300 Grain Semi-Spitzer with a Flat Base has a BC of 0.291, which is higher than their two Boat Tailed bullets.

I may be overlooking some point(s), and I'm willing to learn what these may be.

--Bob
pitted bore

Postby wildcatter » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:40 pm

pitted bore wrote:
lucasphi20 wrote:It would be nice to have a boat tail bullet we could use.

It's probably possible to put either of the Barnes 458 SOCOM bullets through a bullet sizing die to produce 452 dia bullets
  • #45863 Tipped TAC-TX Bullet 300 Grain Boat Tail Lead-Free, BC=0.236
  • #45872 Tipped Triple-Shock X Bullet 300 Grain Spitzer Boat Tail Lead-Free, BC=0.238
I'm unclear how much the boat tail contributes to ballistic performance. At the velocities that can be obtained with the smaller 45 cases, the few thousandths the boat tail may add to a BC value will make little practical difference in trajectory or remaining velocity. If the bullets were stuffed into the 460 Wby case, the boat tail might make a measurable difference.

Barnes' own pointed original 458 bullet #45701 300 Grain Semi-Spitzer with a Flat Base has a BC of 0.291, which is higher than their two Boat Tailed bullets.

I may be overlooking some point(s), and I'm willing to learn what these may be.

--Bob

You're doing great Doc, all I could say is ditto..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby lucasphi20 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:19 pm

I guess I didn't think on that on the boat tail. I still would like to try. I had thought of getting the Barnes SOCOM and sizing them, but I'm not in love with those all coppers. I'd like a nice partition bullet though.
lucasphi20

Postby Al in Mi » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:50 am

lucasphi20 wrote:I guess I didn't think on that on the boat tail. I still would like to try. I had thought of getting the Barnes SOCOM and sizing them, but I'm not in love with those all coppers. I'd like a nice partition bullet though.

I can't see a boat tail having any advantage for the speeds and ranges we shoot, I prefer a flat base anyday.

As far as partitions, Nosler has or had, a couple of weights in .451 flat points, but have heard they have been discontinued and don't see them on their site anymore.

Swift is your next option for a partition, again they are flat points, maybe a bit pricey for plinking, but perfromance is second to none. http://www.swiftbullets.com/a-frame/hun ... liber.html
Al in Mi

Postby lucasphi20 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:40 am

Yeah I noticed their handgun partition's are no more. I wonder how the swift will handle the speeds of the 450. I know that seems to be a concern with most of the bullets reloaded in this forum.
lucasphi20

Postby pitted bore » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:47 pm

Al in Mi wrote:As far as partitions, Nosler has or had, a couple of weights in .451 flat points, but have heard they have been discontinued and don't see them on their site anymore.

Midway has the Nosler Partition 451 260 Grain Hollow Point on close-out sale for only $47.99 per 50. Get them quickly.
--Bob
pitted bore

Next

Return to Reloading for the 450b