Custom Lee FCD

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: Custom Lee FCD

Postby LlindeX » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:14 pm

Nosparks,

If its not too late;
You might want to go to the Lee Precision website (http://leeprecision.com/search.php?mode=search&page=1) and check out the "45 COLT (COLLET STYLE) CUSTOM FACTORY CRIMP DIE" SKU: 80337. You'll end up with virtually the same thing as a modified 45/70 side crimp die. It only costs $25.00 + shipping, and is extremely easy to mod the crimp fingers for our purposes using ONLY a Dremmel Tool. (Involves no cutting of the 45/70 die to a shorter length.) And, also, it seems to be readily available; I got mine directly from Lee in only about 4 days. Hope this helps.
Ask a Syrian why his gun rights are so important !
Then, ask yourself why any Politician really wants to take our's away !!!
LlindeX

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:56 pm

Oh dear. It looks like I'm about to jump off and take on another project.... LOL.
What do the finished crimps on the case look like? I need pictures.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Nosparks » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:52 pm

LlindeX wrote:Nosparks,

If its not too late;
You might want to go to the Lee Precision website (http://leeprecision.com/search.php?mode=search&page=1) and check out the "45 COLT (COLLET STYLE) CUSTOM FACTORY CRIMP DIE" SKU: 80337. You'll end up with virtually the same thing as a modified 45/70 side crimp die. It only costs $25.00 + shipping, and is extremely easy to mod the crimp fingers for our purposes using ONLY a Dremmel Tool. (Involves no cutting of the 45/70 die to a shorter length.) And, also, it seems to be readily available; I got mine directly from Lee in only about 4 days. Hope this helps.

Wow! yeah that would be a nice option and something I think I could handle. Do you have modification instructions!!?
Nosparks

Postby pitted bore » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:46 am

There's a pretty extensive discussion about modifying and using the Lee 45 Colt Crimp Die on this thread from a year ago: Lee 45 Colt Collet-Type Factory Crimp Die. The thread has photos.

As noted then, using the 45 Colt Collet Die without any modification of the width of the collet ridge may work usefully with the 450B. The unmodified Colt die will apply a pretty broad side crimp. This amount of additional pressure against the bullet may be all that is needed to solve a particular problem. (Note that the use of shims or washers to adjust the placement of the crimp on the case is not really a die modification.)

If needful, thinning the crimp ridge can be done. Forum member kozmo briefly described his method of doing this . I may have overlooked some other description of the modification methods. If LlindeX could point to a method already posted, or write a post with some detail about his Dremel technique, it would be really helpful.

--Bob
pitted bore

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:35 am

image.jpg
LSC thin crimp
image.jpg (2.03 MiB) Viewed 11976 times

Here is a picture of the thinner profile crimp. Also note the two shims at the base that act as spacers to apply the crimp at my preferred point.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Jim in Houston » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:10 am

Thanks for posting. Although the photo is a little fuzzy, one of my questions has always been how far below the case mouth to put the crimp. This photo helps.

Maybe you could post a smaller version with better resolution?
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby pitted bore » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:42 am

Jim-
The photo size caused some problems downloading on my slow DSL connection, and then the forum software caused some distortion. Here's an attempt to get small. (On my browser, a left-click on the image will remove the scroll bars to permit viewing the entire image.)

TSD may return with another version.
--Bob
TSD-a.jpg
smaller version of TSD's image from 25Jan14.
TSD-a.jpg (23.6 KiB) Viewed 11962 times

pitted bore

Postby LlindeX » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:05 pm

Nosparks wrote:
LlindeX wrote:Nosparks,

If its not too late;

Wow! yeah that would be a nice option and something I think I could handle. Do you have modification instructions!!?

Nosparks,
The modification to the crimping fingers of the Lee "45 Colt collet style Custom Factory Crimp Die" (SKU: 80337) is exactly the same as the modification done to the crimping fingers of the Lee 45/70 Factory Crimp Die. You just don't have to cut down the length of the die body like you do with the 45/70 die. Hoot has a great description of the methodology used to modify the crimp fingers in his directions under the heading of "Lee FCD Mod Step-By-Step w/images". It is the very first topic discussed on this forum.
Last edited by LlindeX on Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ask a Syrian why his gun rights are so important !
Then, ask yourself why any Politician really wants to take our's away !!!
LlindeX

Postby Hoot » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:12 pm

Jim in Houston wrote:Thanks for posting. Although the photo is a little fuzzy, one of my questions has always been how far below the case mouth to put the crimp. This photo helps.

Maybe you could post a smaller version with better resolution?

When playing with side crimps, I try to stay away from the heel of the bullet, so the seating depth plays a role on how far down I crimp. The heel is the last part of the bullet to touch the end of the bore as it exits, so distorting it is something to avoid.

The shim washers allow you to select very precisely where the crimp is applied, however unless I'm trying to hit a cannelure or driving band groove, I generally go with .1 inch below the case mouth.

Here's what you can do with shim washers:

Looks like I was typing while llyndex was posting, so my reply may be redundant.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Jim in Houston » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:28 pm

Many thanks LlindeX for reposting the photo and to Hoot for the detail he added. This forum rocks!!! :P
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

PreviousNext

Return to Reloading for the 450b