Custom Lee FCD

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Custom Lee FCD

Postby TacoTaco » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:01 pm

All,

I emailed Lee Precision over the weekend, asking them if they plan on releasing a Factory Crimp Die for the 450B. Here's there response:

"Right now we do not have any plans to introduce the 450 Bushmaster into our standard run of dies. You would be able to have one custom made. We would need a dummy round and the cost would be $25.00. Current lead time is around 6 weeks."

With that, do you think it's worth it to have them make me a custom one or just use the modified 45/70 die that I've read about on this forum? To be honest, in the three years I've loaded for the .450, I haven't crimped a single round. I flare the mouth just wide enough to accept the bullet and rely on the case's neck tension to hold the bullet in place. To date this has worked great for the FTX's, but not so much on the lighter stuff like 230 FMJ's or 240 XTP Mags. I find with those lighter bullets I get poor ignition of the powder....it's almost as though the flame is burning across the top of the powder and not igniting the whole charge. (I get a lot of greyish unburnt powder spilled everywhere when the brass is extracted). I'm assuming that my lack of neck tension combined with the light bullet is causing insufficient back pressure inside the case, causing poor ignition. This make sense or am I totally off base here?

Anyway, please let me know if you think it would be worth it to have Lee make me a custom crimp die.

Thanks!!

TACOTACO
TacoTaco

Re: Custom Lee FCD

Postby wildcatter » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:25 pm

TacoTaco wrote:All,

I emailed Lee Precision over the weekend, asking them if they plan on releasing a Factory Crimp Die for the 450B. Here's there response:

"Right now we do not have any plans to introduce the 450 Bushmaster into our standard run of dies. You would be able to have one custom made. We would need a dummy round and the cost would be $25.00. Current lead time is around 6 weeks."

With that, do you think it's worth it to have them make me a custom one or just use the modified 45/70 die that I've read about on this forum? To be honest, in the three years I've loaded for the .450, I haven't crimped a single round. I flare the mouth just wide enough to accept the bullet and rely on the case's neck tension to hold the bullet in place. To date this has worked great for the FTX's, but not so much on the lighter stuff like 230 FMJ's or 240 XTP Mags. I find with those lighter bullets I get poor ignition of the powder....it's almost as though the flame is burning across the top of the powder and not igniting the whole charge. (I get a lot of greyish unburnt powder spilled everywhere when the brass is extracted). I'm assuming that my lack of neck tension combined with the light bullet is causing insufficient back pressure inside the case, causing poor ignition. This make sense or am I totally off base here?

Anyway, please let me know if you think it would be worth it to have Lee make me a custom crimp die.

Thanks!!

TACOTACO

If you want my side crimp, your not going to get it from Lee. They will make a FCD for the 450b, but it will be a Taper Crimp. Right now to do a LeGendre Side Crimp, you're going to have to get a 45-70 FCD and modify it..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby TacoTaco » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:36 pm

I presume then that the side crimp is superior to the taper crimp?

How hard is it to modify the .45/70 die?
TacoTaco

Postby wildcatter » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:35 pm

TacoTaco wrote:I presume then that the side crimp is superior to the taper crimp?

How hard is it to modify the .45/70 die?

It's only better for some uses, in others, the taper crimp does a better job, but if you have a need to get slow burning powders really cooking, then nothing beats the LSC.

Not hard at all..

Some of these guys around here have really great pictorial docs and can help you to figure this out. Hang around, they'll be along soon..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:58 pm

I was also having issues with poor ignition on the 230 grain full metal jackets. I even shot a video of it in slow motion with sound. Once I got my LSC made, my next batch burned much better.
I paid one of our members to custom build mine and he did a fantastic job. I just ordered the crimp die and had Midway ship it to him, sent him funds via PayPal for the mod and shipping. He did the mod and shipped it to me. It was definitely worth the wait.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby AWSHOOT » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:14 pm

I used the LEE 45 ACP FCD. Granted the case won't go up into the sliding sleeve, but the mouth of the die is good enough to crimp the brass to .477 at the mouth of the case.
disclaim.
AWSHOOT

Postby kottke_35 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:32 pm

AWSHOOT wrote:I used the LEE 45 ACP FCD. Granted the case won't go up into the sliding sleeve, but the mouth of the die is good enough to crimp the brass to .477 at the mouth of the case.
disclaim.

Welcome!

B.
Warriors don't shoot bull's-eyes.

” Blessed are those, who in the face of death, focus on the front sight.”
-Col.. Jeff Cooper
kottke_35

Postby Hoot » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:04 am

AWSHOOT wrote:I used the LEE 45 ACP FCD. Granted the case won't go up into the sliding sleeve, but the mouth of the die is good enough to crimp the brass to .477 at the mouth of the case.
disclaim.

Ditto, Welcome aboard Awshoot!

If you have a chrony, perhaps chrony a few alongside the same load using just the factory taper crimp, shooting for groups. May prove enlightening for all.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Nosparks » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:17 pm

I paid one of our members to custom build mine and he did a fantastic job. I just ordered the crimp die and had Midway ship it to him, sent him funds via PayPal for the mod and shipping. He did the mod and shipped it to me.

TSD, can you PM me the who or can the who PM with their info. I am interested in getting one of the LSC's made.
Nosparks

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:17 pm

Let me see what I can do.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Next

Return to Reloading for the 450b