speer deep curl 300grn

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: speer deep curl 300grn

Postby kottke_35 » Sun May 06, 2012 6:06 pm

Went to the range today. shot several different loads including the 300gr speer deepcurl and lilgun powder with rem 7 1/2 primers.

36 and 37 grains of powder looked like I was patterning a shot gun...Maybe 3 inch groups.

36.5 gr printed an 1 1/4 group at 100 yards. Nothing worth bragging about but I was impressed how much a half grain difference of powder made in performance.

I didn't see any adverse pressure signs. I will inspect cases when I get home, and try to upload some photos.

http://m1262.photobucket.com/albumview/ ... g.html?o=0

B.
Warriors don't shoot bull's-eyes.

” Blessed are those, who in the face of death, focus on the front sight.”
-Col.. Jeff Cooper
kottke_35

Postby bigboreshooter » Sun May 06, 2012 7:55 pm

kottke_35 wrote:Went to the range today. shot several different loads including the 300gr speer deepcurl and lilgun powder with rem 7 1/2 primers.

36 and 37 grains of powder looked like I was patterning a shot gun...Maybe 3 inch groups.

36.5 gr printed an 1 1/4 group at 100 yards. Nothing worth bragging about but I was impressed how much a half grain difference of powder made in performance.

I didn't see any adverse pressure signs. I will inspect cases when I get home, and try to upload some photos.

http://m1262.photobucket.com/albumview/ ... g.html?o=0

B.

That's still good at 100yds. Do you know ur fps? If you can get a hold of a copy of photoshop it makes uploading pics here much easier. I learned that out this weekend. Hopefully I get to shoot my 300's tomorrow.
Three is two, two is one and one is none.
bigboreshooter

Postby kottke_35 » Mon May 07, 2012 2:54 pm

Sorry...no chrono at this time. I need to look into one though.

Also shot some of the 250gr Speer Deep curls as well. I'll post more when I have more time.

B.
Warriors don't shoot bull's-eyes.

” Blessed are those, who in the face of death, focus on the front sight.”
-Col.. Jeff Cooper
kottke_35

Postby randyf » Thu May 17, 2012 7:16 am

Al in Mi wrote:Hoot, your gonna love that 1680. I haven't run them over the chrono yet, but both my guns pile drive the 300gr XTP mags wit it.

Have you ran some of the Deep Curls with 1680.............if so, what kind of load did you use and how where the results?
randyf

Postby Hoot » Thu May 17, 2012 10:23 am

randyf wrote:
Al in Mi wrote:Hoot, your gonna love that 1680. I haven't run them over the chrono yet, but both my guns pile drive the 300gr XTP mags wit it.

Have you ran some of the Deep Curls with 1680.............if so, what kind of load did you use and how where the results?

Randy, I'm at work and my range books are at home. I do however have my thumb drive containing the end results with me.

I went as high as 40gr of AA1680 and the 300DC bullets. I only had a limited supply of them, so I did not pursue them further.

At 40gr 1680, loaded to catch the cannelure in the mouth (2.05 COL), the average velocity was 1922fps from the rifle (20") barrel as opposed to a carbine (16") barrel, which trades off velocity for length reduction. I'm not sure I would even recommend 1680 for the carbine owners as it's a lot slower than Lil Gun and W296.

The groups at 100 yds with any 300DC load were marginal and if you look at the latest results I recently posted in the More 275 XPB thread Here, I am certainly capable of delivering MOA or less at 100 yards, yet not with the 300DCs.

At 40gr of AA1680, my perception at the firing line was that is a safe, conservative load, but that it could safely go higher. I was however, out of bullets to load at that point. Through the range of charges I loaded up that stopped at 40gr, the groups got tighter, the higher I went in velocity. If I had some more of those bullets, I would continue loading up from 40gr and expect the groups to improve even more. Could be wrong, but that was my gut feeling.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby wildcatter » Thu May 17, 2012 4:36 pm

Hoot wrote:
randyf wrote:

Randy, I'm at work and my range books are at home. I do however have my thumb drive containing the end results with me.

I went as high as 40gr of AA1680 and the 300DC bullets. I only had a limited supply of them, so I did not pursue them further.

At 40gr 1680, loaded to catch the cannelure in the mouth (2.05 COL), the average velocity was 1922fps from the rifle (20") barrel as opposed to a carbine (16") barrel, which trades off velocity for length reduction. I'm not sure I would even recommend 1680 for the carbine owners as it's a lot slower than Lil Gun and W296.

The groups at 100 yds with any 300DC load were marginal and if you look at the latest results I recently posted in the More 275 XPB thread Here, I am certainly capable of delivering MOA or less at 100 yards, yet not with the 300DCs.

At 40gr of AA1680, my perception at the firing line was that is a safe, conservative load, but that it could safely go higher. I was however, out of bullets to load at that point. Through the range of charges I loaded up that stopped at 40gr, the groups got tighter, the higher I went in velocity. If I had some more of those bullets, I would continue loading up from 40gr and expect the groups to improve even more. Could be wrong, but that was my gut feeling.

Hoot

Holy Cow, with that great long bullet, I'm going to suggest that you not get hung up on the Cannelure. I'd take them out to at least 2.260" OAL and 2.300 if your Magazine will accept them. That 40gr load "Is" very tame, especially for that 1922 fps. Now I've not done any work with the DEEP CURL, but from past experience, I'd say 2100fps, should be a no Brainer, using 1680. I'd be surprised if 1680 was not the weapon of choice, for those 300 grainers. It sure is for heavier bullets. But for light loads and heavy bullets, 296/lil-gun burn rate areas, might actually be the ticket. As a comparison, Trail Boss (faster and bulkier than lil-gun) and 405gr bullets in the 45-70, are the choice if the old guns are being loaded for, i.e. slow speeds and low pressures..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Hoot » Thu May 17, 2012 9:49 pm

I'm not really into heavy bullets in this caliber since I don't hunt anything bigger than whitetails with it. I have however dabbled in these 300s out of curiosity and for the benefit of the members who hunt big game. The 300gr DeepCurls have had their at bat and it's time for one last 300gr hurrah. Given that the Hornady 240gr XTP Mags shot to 1" 100 yard groups for me in the past, I ordered some 300gr XTP Mags. They should be a comparable test to the DeepCurls and I like their thick jacket at these velocities.

I was given a sample of the Hornady 300gr SSTs and I really didn't get a good workup on them. Their pointy FTX style form factor appealed to me, so I ordered a box of them as well. The XTP Mags were only $14.64 for a box of 50, which is less than the DeepCurls. The SSTs were $19.33 for a box of 50, which IMHO is an excellent price as well. With 50 of each, I should be able to do a full workup on each and of course, it'll be with AA1680, which I have plenty of. I suspect the key to it's performance will lie in obtaining adequate neck tension due to it's slowness. While the 325gr Barnes Busters are attractive, they are a little too rich for my blood, especially given outside of characterizing them, I have no use for them. So, stay tuned for a Range Report down the road, once the 300s arrive. Before that, the pendulum will swing the other way with some workups using the C.O.P. 160 and 185gr bullets. Big frontal area, high velocity, but will they shoot worth a darn for me, given other member's results? I've got ATK 2400, N110 and Lil Gun slated for them as powder candidates.

WRT TKO, there's the frontal area which remains the same and there's the energy content, which can be achieved by virtue of heavy going slow or lighter going faster (Mass times Velocity).
IE: 160gr going 2800 vs 185gr going 2600 vs 300gr going 2100. Their very similar in Energy and Efficacy.

I'm not so hung up on pass-through again, as white tails are so easy to bring down with a responsibly placed shot and in Minnesota, we're not allowed to shoot two or three white tails standing abreast anyway. Hopefully, I'll be able to do water shots with these welter weights. If like the FTX's they penetrate 5-7 gallon jugs of water, that's plenty of penetration for the girls I go out with. ;)

A little divergent to the topic, but those are my next plans for the 450b this shooting season. I do have four other calibers to finish working on as well.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby bigboreshooter » Fri May 25, 2012 11:09 am

300 grn Speer deep curl
1700fps
loaded by "Hoot"
16" barrel 50 yards
Attachments
300grn1-5a.jpg
300grn1-5a.jpg (36.77 KiB) Viewed 12052 times
bigboreshooter

Postby bigboreshooter » Fri May 25, 2012 11:15 am

300grn6-10b.jpg
300grn6-10b.jpg (43 KiB) Viewed 12054 times
Attachments
300grn11-15c.jpg
300grn11-15c.jpg (44.2 KiB) Viewed 12054 times
bigboreshooter

Postby Hoot » Fri May 25, 2012 1:14 pm

Interesting groups and on par accuracy-wise with the ones I shot. That is until the last group. If all three groups were 50 yards, I would not have expected to see that much vertical stringing as a function of differing velocity. As I said in some other post, the 300's 100 yard POI seemed more sensitive to velocity change, then what I see with lighter bullets. I have great groups from the 200s and 225s that varied almost as much in velocity as the 300s I shot, yet there was only the slightest vertical stringing. Certainly within the same tolerance as the horizontal spread they sustained for my ability to shoot.

I don't do much heavy bag work and perhaps that's normal when you're into the rainbow trajectory zone.

I have also incurred vertical stringing like that, that was the result of me experimenting (out of frustration) with my hold on the rifle and trying to hold it in an absolute death grip. Great horizontal dispersion, but 2" of vertical.

Glad they worked out for you.

Hoot
Hoot

PreviousNext

Return to Reloading for the 450b