speer deep curl 300grn

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: speer deep curl 300grn

Postby Hoot » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:47 pm

cptrifeg2 wrote:
I bought 100 of the 300 grain deep curls and 50 of the Hornady HP XTP Bullets, .452, 300 grain. I am a very green loader, would 36.5 grains of lil'gun with factory seating/crimp specs be optimal for 300 yard engagement for both rounds?

If I were buying .452 bullets for reliable engagement in the field at 300 yards, I would go with these:

sst300.jpg
sst300.jpg (38.75 KiB) Viewed 12695 times

Better BC and will resist going transonic on the way there, plus less wind drift.

I bought some for $20.35 for a box of 50, to play with from Here. They also have great prices on other bullets like the Hornady 300gr XTP Mag for $13.34 per box of 50.

I'd recommend 35gr of Lil Gun with the bullet seated to the cannelure (~2.05 COL) and adjust the taper crimp die to produce .474 at the mouth. Otherwise a slightly slower powder like W296. I got good groups using 37.5gr of W296 but loading the bullets to 2.20 COL and applying a taper crimp to produce .476 at the mouth since it's not into the cannelure. Both were using the 20" barrel, not the shorter, carbine length. Both were using Remington 7 1/2 primers.

Hoot

P.S. Neither load will blow your gun up. ;)
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Jim in Houston » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:30 pm

These look very much like the .452 300 gr that Midway was selling as unbranded blems for $22.99. Wish now I had bought more. Will go with the 35 gr of LG and the dimensions Hoot has posted.

I note that the bullets in the "Here" link have two caneluers [sp] as shown on the box, while the picture in the post and the blems have none. Couldn't find the 300gr XTP Mag in 45 cal, though.

Thanks Hoot, now I need to cool of the garage to the low 80's and get back to the loading bench.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby Hoot » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:17 am

Jim in Houston wrote:These look very much like the .452 300 gr that Midway was selling as unbranded blems for $22.99. Wish now I had bought more. Will go with the 35 gr of LG and the dimensions Hoot has posted.

I note that the bullets in the "Here" link have two caneluers [sp] as shown on the box, while the picture in the post and the blems have none. Couldn't find the 300gr XTP Mag in 45 cal, though.

Thanks Hoot, now I need to cool of the garage to the low 80's and get back to the loading bench.

Keen observations Jim. They are the same as the blems Midway was selling. Same design as the 250FTX, just longer. They used to have cannelures and the tip was hard like their Amax line.The ones I got a month or so ago had softer tips like the FTX and someone figured out that since by design, they're going in sabots, they could save some money in production by skipping the canneluring step. IE old photograph at Manventure.

I got good groups with them loaded to 2.26, ahead of 44gr AA1680, or 35gr of LG. Interestingly, given their length, they use up as much case capacity seated to 2.26 as the 300 XTP Mags use when seated to almost bury the cannelure (2.05). Once again 1680 struck me as being too slow with just a taper crimp. Left me with the impression that with an aggressive stab crimp, you could probably cut back a grain or two with the 1680 and get the same velocity.

My bad on the 300 XTP price quote. That was the non-Mag. The Mags are $14.90 a box Here. Still a good price for them compared to Midway.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Jim in Houston » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:57 pm

Follow-up question on COL: What determines the "correct" COL? There seem to be a couple or three options (providing the COL does not exceed a length that will feed from the magazine):

Sufficient bullet must be inside the case
    If crimping in a cannelure, the position of the cannelure on the bullet determines the COL
    Need adequate room for the volume of powder in the charge

I have been loading my 250 gr to a COL of 2.260 (usually end up with 2.255) and my 225's to 2.150 (usually end up at 2.145). In previous posts on the 300 gr, one recommendation was 2.09 to match the cannelure position (I assume, since it was a cannelured bullet) and 2.26 (with no cannelure to set the distance, again my assumpton). Other than getting advice from someone or a reloading handbook, is there some "formula" for COL?
Jim in Houston

Postby Hoot » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:55 pm

I'd say you got it right Jim.

The golden rule is it must fit in the magazine, regardless of what caliber you're loading for.
In the case of this particular caliber, strong and consistent neck tension is incredibly important. The easiest way to get it is by the amount of bullet surface area in contact with case brass. Unfortunately, the deeper you seat your bullet to increase that surface area, the more powder capacity is lost and of equal concern, the further the bullet has to jump before engaging the lands.

Crimping enhances that tension. Crimping into a cannelure even more so. The rub is, most bullets with cannelures in them were not designed for this caliber and the cannelure is located appropriate for the caliber it was designed for. So, we compromise some times in order to take advantage of it and some times we ignore it due to it's inappropriate location for our caliber. As I previously mentioned, the 300 XTP Mag, while it has a cannelure, it is located poorly for our caliber and I got better results Sunday loading the bullet a lot longer and relying upon it's weight as much as the neck tension to resist starting in motion during ignition. With lighter bullets, we lose the benefit of Newtons first law and rely more upon exotic crimps and pre-tensioning (TiteNeck) to increase the resistance to movement. For my efforts, the big challenge is compromising the insertion depth, versus case capacity with slower powders. That's not even considering the issue of the bullet pulling a little from the inertia of chambering. A factor that has to be considered unless you hand cycle each round using the charging handle followed by a tap on the FA. I've never fessed up to this, but that's how I load every single round when I'm doing load workup. When I'm trying to assess a new load, adding the variable of bullet jump muddies the contributing factors.

I'm a firm believer that regardless of what bullet you choose to use, never use a seating depth that is less than 1/2 the caliber of the bullet and even that is an extreme compromise. IE in the 450b, never less than a quarter inch. Optimally, I like a full caliber insertion depth. With bottleneck calibers, that is much easier achieved and you can choose neck sizing bushings to set the neck ID and subsequent resulting tension to whatever you like, assuming you're using that style of sizing die. Since the 450b headspaces off of the mouth as opposed to the shoulder in a bottleneck or the rim in the case of rimmed calibers, or the belt in the case of belted magnums, we can only shrink the mouth of the 450b but so far.

Then there are the crimps. I dabbled in excessive taper crimp while not going so far as to distort the bullet too much or too far so that it won't catch the chamber lip. Recently I learned that despite brass being harder than copper, excessive taper crimping winds up imparting a permanent taper in the brass thickness at the mouth. Then, when you go to taper crimp the next time, the crimp diameter that worked the previous time proves insufficient the next time because the mouth wall is now thinner and you have to set the taper die even tighter to get the same tension. This is a vicious cycle that eventually leaves the case irreversibly thinned out at the mouth and susceptible to splitting. All this compromising catches up with you in one way or another. Then there's the factor of bullet overall diameter. I've now seen them fall anywhere between a true .452, down as small as .4497 out of the box. That winds up equating to a double whammy. First, you have to taper crimp the case down even more to achieve the same amount of tension and second, they offer less resistance going down the bore. The latter is as important to the pressure curve as the starting tension. The issues with a stab crimp are self evident. Despite the adjustability of the LeGendre Stab Crimp using shims, I've had a challenge reproducing the exact same result once Ive broken down the setup and reinstalled it at a later date. If you reload for different bullets, you're almost forced to make a dedicated stab crimp die for each bullet, custom fit to place the stab crimp in the same place and to the same intensity the next time you run a batch. Since uniformity of crimp is directly proportional to uniformity of neck tension from one batch to the next, you really need to get that worked out if you want the same results the next time out. The same applies to the TiteNeck method. I still like that approach as opposed to the stab crimp, but it an imprecise process and still in it's infancy. It also can not make up for insufficient insertion depth. With very short bullets, there's just not enough to get a good grab onto. I ran into that with my recent foray into the 160gr TAC-XP bullets. The worst is solid bullets, since they have to be shorter than their hollow point cousins of the same weight since copper and lead weigh more than air and a ballistic tip.

So IMHO, it all revolves around having sufficient neck tension, however achieved, that is repeatable, non-destructive and consistent in order to balance the bullet weight you choose as well as it's diameter, against the characteristics of the powder you choose, in order to obtain efficient combustion without detracting from accuracy. That's a tall order in this caliber. It's also an equation of IMHO, too many variables. If you stick to one or two favorite bullets, you can eventually figure it out. If like me, you like to play with a wide spectrum of bullet weights, lengths and diameters, it all adds up to a lot of headaches keeping everything straight.

It's late and my objectivity is starting to drift, so I'll bid you all good night.Hopefully, when I read this again tomorrow, it won't sound like the ramblings of a tired, OCD plagued, old guy. ;)

Hoot
Hoot

Postby gtoboi65 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:24 am

I really enjoy Hoot's long and drawn out responses. Definitely one of the reasons I come back here day after day.
gtoboi65

Postby Jim in Houston » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:49 am

Wow!!! That explanation of COL was pretty good for "the ramblings of a tired, OCD plagued, old guy." We need to have a thread called the "Collected Wisdom of Hoot."

Now as a follow-up, can the COL be too short. When I taper crimped my 225 gr FTX blems with a top cannelure, I crimped to .475 just below the cannelure, since the round seemed too short, had I gone all the way up. However, based on what I have read here, I might get better performance by going into the cannelure and crimping down harder (what diameter?) to get into it - or does that require a stab crimp (of which I am ignorant) rather than a taper crimp to be effective.

Here with a photo of my 225 vs a 250 to show what I mean. The round would look a little short (to me), were I to go up into the cannelure. On my last range session shooting with the 225's and 38 gr of LG I got a 2364 fps high velocity with an average of 2254 fps, a spread of 161 fps and an SD of 65. The five round group was about the same as I get with the 250 gr factory load. I also tried a roll crimp and a roll crimp and a taper crimp. The groups and velocities were about the same with marginal improvements in the spreads and SD's (both of which could use improvement - my loading techique, I assume).
Attachments
20120613_Compare 250 and 225 FTX Annotated A 5x7.jpg
20120613_Compare 250 and 225 FTX Annotated A 5x7.jpg (100.74 KiB) Viewed 12663 times
Jim in Houston

Postby cptrifeg2 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:16 pm

Hoot wrote:I'd say you got it right Jim.

The golden rule is it must fit in the magazine, regardless of what caliber you're loading for.
In the case of this particular caliber, strong and consistent neck tension is incredibly important. The easiest way to get it is by the amount of bullet surface area in contact with case brass. Unfortunately, the deeper you seat your bullet to increase that surface area, the more powder capacity is lost and of equal concern, the further the bullet has to jump before engaging the lands....

So IMHO, it all revolves around having sufficient neck tension, however achieved, that is repeatable, non-destructive and consistent in order to balance the bullet weight you choose as well as it's diameter, against the characteristics of the powder you choose, in order to obtain efficient combustion without detracting from accuracy. That's a tall order in this caliber. It's also an equation of IMHO, too many variables. If you stick to one or two favorite bullets, you can eventually figure it out. If like me, you like to play with a wide spectrum of bullet weights, lengths and diameters, it all adds up to a lot of headaches keeping everything straight.

It's late and my objectivity is starting to drift, so I'll bid you all good night.Hopefully, when I read this again tomorrow, it won't sound like the ramblings of a tired, OCD plagued, old guy. ;)

Hoot

Wow, Thank you very much Hoot. You taught me more in 5 mins of reading for understanding than I've learned in 14 years from other Soldiers about science of reloading. I had been an avid reader but never ventured to reload until now. I also learned off of some of your other posts and data from areas you've suggested to look that my damn plastic drop in buffer was about 4 ounces too light..adding to my timing issues. I bought a heavy buffer for adjustable stocks, heavy spring and the timing issue went away. My wife is jealous because I remember what you write but dont listen to what she says :P.

"Soldier's dont rise to the occasion, but fall to their level of training".
cptrifeg2

Postby Hoot » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:36 pm

If like with bottle neck calibers, you get hung up on the SD, the 450b will drive you batty. It's the nature of the beast. Again, as a function of inconsistent neck tension, not necessarily your reloading techniques. I'm the most fastidious SOB where case prep and reloading is concerned and I too experience wide swings in velocity with all but 2400 powder. It's faster than the other more popular ones we use and less dependent upon neck tension as them.The problem with it is you can go from totally acceptable pressure to OMG in one grain. Ditto with hot loads worked up under modest temps and then shot in hot temps. That's too bad as it also gets up to pressure so fast that you seal off the mouth quickly and sooting is almost non-existent.

With the more conventional,slower powders, a severe stab crimp applid to the smooth part of the bullet will tighten up the SD quite nicely, but at a price in fine accuracy. Not "minute of deer" accuracy, but MOA or less like I'm hung up on. That having been said, the best 5-shot 100 yard group I ever got, which was with the 225s with the cannelure almost buried, had a velocity ES of something like 100fps. So, the weight of these bullets really overcomes the variance in velocity. Muzzle velocity factors in as well. With the slower 300 grainers I've been playing with, I've seen velocity change reflected more in the vertical component of the group than with the lighter ones. Then again I was shooting them below the magic 2200fps which this caliber loves. Faster velocity has it's merit, but even at 2200fps, there's plenty of stopping power given the frontal area of this caliber and keep in mind that the FTX line of bullets is designed to open up at relatively low velocities like you'd see in handguns. I'll gladly slow them down a hundred fps to cut my group sizes in half, but then in the woods I normally hunt in, a shot beyond 100 yards is rare.

So, don't judge them by ES or SD as long as they're above 2k fps and go more on the group size. One worthwhile plug for the Barnes XPB bullets. They have driving bands and consequently driving band grooves which serve as excellent opportunities to drive the taper or stab crimp into deep recessions if you load them to the right depth. That sharp escarpment of the grooves provide a great "handhold" for whichever crimp you use to bite into and hang onto. For the same charge of Lil Gun, I've personally seen the ability to increase muzzle velocity by 200 fps by crimping into them and look at my XPB threads and you'll see SD's down below 20 quite often, while not sacrificing accuracy. There's a lesson right there on the impact of adequate and consistent neck tension, albeit achieved by brute force. That's why I take the 200 XPB in my deer loads when I hunt, where I used to use the 225 FTX. Not eating lead shards is an added bonus.

Lastly, due to the form factor of the 225s, which were designed for the .45 LC revolver, they already look stumpy and when you load them to the cannelure, they look wrong in the 450b, but boy do they group!

Hoot
Hoot

Postby Jim in Houston » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:51 am

Thus endeth the lesson for this day; now go forth and reload once more.

Amen.
Jim in Houston

PreviousNext

Return to Reloading for the 450b