First reloads for the 450 bushmaster

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: First reloads for the 450 bushmaster

Postby 450newbie » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:36 pm

Hoot wrote:I found another accuracy node at 41gr of LG using the 225 FTX. but you absolutely need to work up to it, watching for pressure signs along the way.

Hoot

I don't think I've got the balls for 41gr of Lil Gun, wowzuhs!
450newbie

Postby Hoot » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:08 pm

450newbie wrote:
Hoot wrote:I found another accuracy node at 41gr of LG using the 225 FTX. but you absolutely need to work up to it, watching for pressure signs along the way.

Hoot

I don't think I've got the balls for 41gr of Lil Gun, wowzuhs!

It's not as bad as you might think, but it's definitely outside of the SAAMI safe zone, set by Bushmaster. Tim can testify to the fact that they err on the side of litgatory caution. I'm as conservative as they come WRT choosing to walking on the safe side of power in the 450b and I didn't feel imperiled shooting it. Given the behavior of LG, it being a ball powder, when you load it hot, you have to be mindful of the temperature you will be using it at. My foray with 41gr of LG pushing the 225 FTX was in mild, hunting season type temperatures, not the blistering heat of summer. YMMV.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Jim in Houston » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:16 pm

Hoot wrote:. . . being a ball powder, when you load it hot, you have to be mindful of the temperature you will be using it at. My foray with 41gr of LG pushing the 225 FTX was in mild, hunting season type temperatures, not the blistering heat of summer. YMMV.

Hoot

Well, since I live in Houston, where "blistering heat" is about to move in, I guess I won't be loading to 41 gr. I may even keep my 38 gr loads in a cooler until just before I shoot.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby Hoot » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:55 am

Jim in Houston wrote:
Hoot wrote:. . . being a ball powder, when you load it hot, you have to be mindful of the temperature you will be using it at. My foray with 41gr of LG pushing the 225 FTX was in mild, hunting season type temperatures, not the blistering heat of summer. YMMV.

Hoot

Well, since I live in Houston, where "blistering heat" is about to move in, I guess I won't be loading to 41 gr. I may even keep my 38 gr loads in a cooler until just before I shoot.

From my experience, you shouldn't have to do that. I've shot 38gr loads deer hunting in Winter and in the heat of Summer. Never an issue.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby 450newbie » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:57 pm

Loaded 10 more, same as before but with 37gr Lil Gun, working my way up to 38gr, hopefully Saturday is nice, will begin the testing
450newbie

Postby wildcatter » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:14 pm

Hoot wrote:
Jim in Houston wrote:

Hoot

From my experience, you shouldn't have to do that. I've shot 38gr loads deer hunting in Winter and in the heat of Summer. Never an issue.

Hoot

10x... with 38gr and the 225's described, this should be a walk in the park and you'd have to be pretty reckless to have a problem with that load, even in the heat of tx. I myself would consider that 38gr load a basic starting Load, of course that's me and yes YMMV'.."Your mileage may vary"..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Previous

Return to Reloading for the 450b