CAST BULLETS discussions

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: CAST BULLETS discussions

Postby Tripplebeards » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:27 pm

They’re was and then the person who started the group buy combined them and just had one mold made. But they offered it in .452 and .454. I believe the .454 looks a little bit different “smaller meplate” from what one of the other members told me After seeing my boolits I casted with it. If I knew Ruger was going to switch me out guns I wouldn’t got rid of the mold until I tried it in the scout. I have a feeling a 266 grain hollowpoint pushed at 2200 ft./s and faster is probably going to make a massive mess out of any Deer and probably need to go with a solid casted with softer alloy for some expansion. I’ll find out if it feeds and if so I’ll try my 20 pounds I casted up on a whitetail.

Tripplebeards

Postby Rklenke » Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:54 pm

Not a great comparison, but something to think about: my 155 grain deep hollow points from my NOE mold in 10mm explode at anything higher than 1050-1100 fps. The same bullet in cup point (165gr) can be shot up to 1500 fps or so with good weight retention in water jugs. My Lee 457-340 at 1850 will mushroom nice as a flat point.

All this to say that a soft HP at 2200 will probably disintegrate shortly after impact. You never really know until you try it though.
Rklenke

Postby Tripplebeards » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:58 am

Got the scout this morning. It doesn’t cycle with cast either unless I arm wrestle the bolt back-and-forth a few times and chew up the front of the boolit. Got excited the first four cycled flawlessly of my dummy rounds and then the next four tries 1 to 2 of the four jammed. The front of my barrel is resting on the stock and making a click when I grab it as it’s moving around. The Woodstock has a lot of flex more than my American did with a plastic stock. I’ll have to float it And glass bed it. I am thoroughly convinced the 450 bushmaster round is not made to be cycled smoothly in a bolt action unless you’re using a pointed FTX or similar pointed bullet. I would assume that’s why you don’t see a lot of straight wall pistol cartridges in bolt actions. The shorter straight wall pistol cartridges seem to do good like my 77/44.
Tripplebeards

Postby Rklenke » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:27 am

I find it hard to believe you'd be the only one with feeding problems, there has to be a quick fix out there somewhere. Sounds frustrating, hope you get it fixed. Those are some nice looking bullets BTW.
Rklenke

Previous

Return to Reloading for the 450b