CAST BULLETS discussions

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: CAST BULLETS discussions

Postby Billinthedesert » Thu Dec 29, 2022 4:24 pm

I was going to ask about powder-coated boolits. I have the Lee 452-255 RF and the RCBS 45-270-SAA but don't know if they will feed.
Billinthedesert

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sat Dec 31, 2022 6:41 am

The only way to find out is…. To well. Just do it. First up. Make some dummy rounds. You can always pull them down and start over.
I know some of you guys are wondering what happened to my passion on the cast boolit scene. Well. It’s still there. And the shop is now totally finished and I have everything I need to start…. I just haven’t had the time. Our company still has us working under the Covid protocols as far as running 12 hour shifts go. And while we no longer have to wear masks and take all the other precautions, our company just decided to leave the 12 shifts in place.
And it literally wears me out. But I still have a homestead to take care of and well, my chores seem to never end. Plus my truck has decided to transition from a Dodge to a Ford in that it’s now being Fixed Or Repaired Daily. It’s still a Ram, but it’s getting old. Financially it’s beginning to interfere with my disposable income in that the fuel and repair bills keep me working as many hours as I can to keep it running. No. I can’t afford a new truck note. It’s not that bad. Not yet. LOL.
When it rains it pours.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby howa-doing » Wed Aug 30, 2023 1:17 pm

i need heavy slug loading data
i want to remain subsonic,,,,,,just over 1K fps
how heavy can i go.....i have 405g molds and factory 500g cast
but NO LOAD DATA

10g of unigue ''seems'' like a good starting place
and i have loaded 300g with 10g = a 44mag
but i want to see it in print first

my rifle is HOWA bolt [1 in 16 twist]...can on the way
howa-doing

Postby dantiff3 » Thu Aug 31, 2023 5:41 am

howa-doing wrote:i need heavy slug loading data
i want to remain subsonic,,,,,,just over 1K fps
how heavy can i go.....i have 405g molds and factory 500g cast
but NO LOAD DATA

10g of unigue ''seems'' like a good starting place
and i have loaded 300g with 10g = a 44mag
but i want to see it in print first

my rifle is HOWA bolt [1 in 16 twist]...can on the way

I shoot the 405 gn RNFP cast bullets (powder coated) from my Ruger 16" with great success! My particular load is a super short 2.050" OAL and 10.8 gn of Unique powder with a standard CCI 400 primer. Puts me right at 1050 fps. Accuracy was decent/ acceptable at first but only got better as I experimented with the LEE FCD (factory crimp die). With the right amount of crimp added these loads now shoot fantastic! One ragged hole at 50 yards and usually 1.5" at 100yds if I can do my part. Load some up and have fun!
Dan

Edit to add: Let me elaborate on why I run such a short OAL. First, it eats up all the empty case volume, allowing for a better fill ratio. The higher the fill ratio, the better velocity consistency. Mine are VERY consistent across a chrono. Second, When I stick the big ole' heavy bullet out of the case, the cartridge nose dives into the mag and doesn't feed for crap AND just so happens the closer I tried to get to the rifling, the worse my gun shot. When I tried to single load and get anywhere near the lands, I would see fliers, so I worked down into the case. Since these bullets have lube grooves on them, I kept moving away a grove at at time and WA LA! It's important not to line up the case mouth with the lube or crimp groove because these rounds headspace on the mouth so it should not go into the groove when using a LFC die.
dantiff3

Postby howa-doing » Tue Sep 12, 2023 12:59 pm

Billinthedesert wrote:I was going to ask about powder-coated boolits. I have the Lee 452-255 RF and the RCBS 45-270-SAA but don't know if they will feed.

i have that LEE mold
loaded with 10g of unique
like shooting a 44 mag but did not feed well in my howa mini
howa-doing

Previous

Return to Reloading for the 450b