More Barnes 275 XPB

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: More Barnes 275 XPB

Postby kottke_35 » Fri May 18, 2012 7:53 pm

LlindeX wrote:Hoot,

In your photos of the test load groups, it appears that I'm seeing a sort of scalloping around the edges of the shots on the targets. Is that true? Are the petals on those Barnes bullets beginning to open up before they hit the target? What type of backing was under the paper of the targets? Would it possibly be that they are opening that quickly as they hit the target?

I never experienced this while testing the Barnes bullets. They are a very solid bullet and I believe what you are seeing is due to the target backing or a trick on your eyes. Lol. Check out Hoots water jug tests and that should but to ease any doubts about this bullet holding together.

B.
Warriors don't shoot bull's-eyes.

” Blessed are those, who in the face of death, focus on the front sight.”
-Col.. Jeff Cooper
kottke_35

Postby LlindeX » Fri May 18, 2012 8:11 pm

Kottke,

I don't doubt that the Barnes bullets are holding together. My Son-in-Law uses them exclusively in his 300 Weatherby Mag and they perform very well on elk at all distances in that caliber. We've recovered several of his bullets when he's made really long shots and they all look like the pictures of the "Tie Tacs" shown here. We've never seen a single petal lost. However, I don't think what I'm see is my eyes. Either that or my wife has the same astigmatism as I am having. I just had her look at Hoot's pictures and she sees the same thing I'm seeing. Look again at them, especially his first pic of the AA1680 loads. The holes look like little daisies. The flower "petals" are separated by wide white areas. Something is definately going on. It may be caused by the material Hoot was using as a backing and it may be that the petals aren't beginning to open and it has something to do with discoloration as the bullets pass thru the backing. I just don't know, but it sure looks weird to me. Hoot, tell us what really is going on! If you don't; I'm going to lay awake all night tonight trying to figure this one out.
Ask a Syrian why his gun rights are so important !
Then, ask yourself why any Politician really wants to take our's away !!!
LlindeX

Postby Hoot » Fri May 18, 2012 8:23 pm

In your photos of the test load groups, it appears that I'm seeing a sort of scalloping around the edges of the shots on the targets. Is that true? Are the petals on those Barnes bullets beginning to open up before they hit the target? What type of backing was under the paper of the targets? Would it possibly be that they are opening that quickly as they hit the target?

It happens from time to time, but it's not the bullets. The target boards are 1/4" Luan (cheap) and we staple out paper targets to them. They warp from exposure to the elements but the scalloping was because despite stretching them flat against the Luan and stapling them in place. I always go as early as possible and dew is still burning off. The humidity from that causes the target sheets which are regular printer paper, to expand and get loose against the boards. Some times they can't get flat due to old staples being beneath them. In the case of the last set of targets, the wind was gusting left to right and tended to lift the sheets more on one side than the other. You could see them rippling slightly through the scope at 24x. If I drive one staple through the dead center of the paper it doesn't happen nearly as much, but then I risk tearing the targets badly when I pull them off. Some times I take a pair or end nips with me and pull the staples out before taking the sheets down. Some times, I forget and some times I'm just plain lazy.

There are better choices of paper which punch more cleanly, but it's not the kind we have for free at work. We do have 90 pound card stock which I've tried. Believe it or not, it behaves worse, being too leathery.

Before I scan the targets, I actually place them face down at the table and carefully return the tattered hole shards back to their original place when possible and then tape them down. It makes scoring them using On Target software more accurate. That's why occasionally, you'll see something shiny behind the bullet holes, reflecting the flash back.
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby LlindeX » Fri May 18, 2012 8:53 pm

Hoot,

Thanks for getting back on this. I believe you that it's not the bullets beginning to open up, but I must be a bit dense or something. How is it that the looseness of the target against the backing is causing the extreme scalloping pattern around the edges? As you say, it definitely is variable from sheet to sheet because the A1680 sheet really shows it the most. The holes in that sheet really look like little flowers.

Are the actual holes through the paper smaller than .45" and they have a black ring around the outside of them that shows the rifling grooves in the bullets? Are the jackets of those 45 cal. Barnes bullets visibly cut to enhance opening? Could that be what causes the scalloping effect? I understand that in the situation you describe, the bullets wouldn't cut a clean hole in loose damp paper, but what is the cause of the consistent and even flower shaped pattern of tear? All the "petals" of the shapes seem to be evenly shaped. I have never noticed this occuring before, but then again, I don't shoot much damp paper out here in the low humidity we have.
Ask a Syrian why his gun rights are so important !
Then, ask yourself why any Politician really wants to take our's away !!!
LlindeX

Postby Hoot » Fri May 18, 2012 9:47 pm

Thanks for getting back on this. I believe you that it's not the bullets beginning to open up, but I must be a bit dense or something. How is it that the looseness of the target against the backing is causing the extreme scalloping pattern around the edges? As you say, it definitely is variable from sheet to sheet because the A1680 sheet really shows it the most. The holes in that sheet really look like little flowers.

Are the actual holes through the paper smaller than .45" and they have a black ring around the outside of them that shows the rifling grooves in the bullets? Are the jackets of those 45 cal. Barnes bullets visibly cut to enhance opening? Could that be what causes the scalloping effect? I understand that in the situation you describe, the bullets wouldn't cut a clean hole in loose damp paper, but what is the cause of the consistent and even flower shaped pattern of tear? All the "petals" of the shapes seem to be evenly shaped. I have never noticed this occuring before, but then again, I don't shoot much damp paper out here in the low humidity we have.

Without high speed footage, I can only speculate upon what IMHO, I think is happening based upon my knowledge of material behavior gathered over the years.

There are many factors at play here. The Luan, after having been rained on and sun baked dry tends to get more brittle. As the large frontal area of the bullet strikes the paper, it first pushes it into the Luan and depending upon how fresh it is, it sometimes punches out a clean hole shearing the paper around the perimeter as the bullet passes through like a paper punch works. Some times, the Luan splays and splinters before giving way and the holes are more jagged. In the case of several nearby holes, it may break away an area of wood greater than the diameter of the individual bullets and the paper tears in unpredictable ways inconsistent with the bullet shapes. The paper doesn't go from dry to moist to the touch from the humidity. It just swells a little and gets more supple and leathery. I suspect that how cleanly the holes get cut is most likely dependent upon how fast the bullet is traveling. Experience seems to show that the faster the bullet is traveling upon impact, the cleaner the holes are cut and there is a correlation to the bullet diameter as well. The smaller the bullet, the less velocity is needed for a clean cut. These tootsie rolls we're shooting need a lot more velocity than 1900 to 2200 to get a super clean hole. I have not shot any "wad cutter" bullets from the 450b yet, but there seems to be little difference in the predictability of the hole shape between pointed bullets, gaping hollow points and truncated cone hollow points like the XPBs. What may appear to be a conclusive result one range trip turns around and is different the next one. I do know from experience at out local range, where the sun arcs behind the shooter from right to left, that on a hot, dry afternoon shooting session, the holes seem to cut more cleanly. Again, there are many factors the support and contradict behavior from one day or time of day to the next. I have never payed them much heed.

I remember someone donated some 1/2 inch particle board sheets once and we thought they would exceed the performance of the Luan. Quite the contrary, the bullets blew large quarter sized holes out when they hit and the definition of the bullet holes were completely lost. after several shots close to one another, there was a resulting conglomerated hole you could throw a golf ball through. I've been maintaining the Rifle Range for about 7 years now and Luan is by far the best bang for the buck. Some of the serious paper punchers in the club bring large sheets of cardboard and staple them to the boards, then their targets to them and some times they leave the cardboard behind when they're done. I've use them a couple of times and they give beautifully defined bullet holes. At least until the first time they get rained upon. I'm too lazy to save sheets to bring with me, despite having access to all I want from work where we normally put them out for the recyclers to pick up every Thursday. I can't believe I've typed so much on this subject the past few posts. In synopsis. I've shot a lot of different bullets from my 450b and have yet to suffer a single keyholer or ones I can say for certain, were arriving at the target skewed in any way. I've had a few that disappeared over the years, never to be found and not a clue as to why. When the target boards get shot up pretty bad, but not bad enough to replace them, it gets hard to spot shots off the paper, but that you know hit the board from the resulting thwack heard afterward. Now there's a good reason for bringing a roll of butcher paper as backing, which I've seen some members do when they're sighting in a new scope. I just never think of that until I'm there. As the person who controls the replacing of the boards, if I'm the first person to the range in the morning, I've been know to throw away the worst target board of the 14 of them there, put the shot up one at my favorite position (#3) in it's place and put up a flat, fresh one for me to use. That's a small perk for doing the work. It's kind of awkward to do that when there are members already there as it's pretty obvious that I'm being selfish. I prefer to be selfish in private.

Hoot's Serenity Prayer: God grant me the ability to walk away from a conversation. The wisdom to know that's what I need to do and the ability to do so with aplomb. ;)
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby commander faschisto » Fri May 18, 2012 11:43 pm

What's a plomb? :)
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby Jim in Houston » Mon May 21, 2012 3:07 pm

And who is Luan?
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby paulmark3010 » Mon May 21, 2012 9:20 pm

Jim in Houston wrote:And who is Luan?

I always hear about her at Luby's. :twisted:
paulmark3010

Postby Hoot » Tue May 22, 2012 3:58 am

paulmark3010 wrote:
Jim in Houston wrote:And who is Luan?

I always hear about her at Luby's. :twisted:

Used to date 'er. She's Maple's sister. Two of 'em live over in Pine County. Remember, she cashiered at the Home depot. She wasn't a knot head like Maple though. She got board of that job and went to the Vo-Tec in Walnut Grove. Now I hear she's a plomber and boy can she lay pipe!
Had moles all over her body... Image
Hoot

Postby Jim in Houston » Tue May 22, 2012 12:13 pm

And to think that there are 50,000 unemployed comedians in the US :roll: .
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

PreviousNext

Return to Reloading for the 450b