My personal .450 goal....

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: My personal .450 goal....

Postby TacoTaco » Wed May 09, 2012 11:04 pm

Thanks for all of the feedback everyone, it's appreciated. Based on the responses, it looks like my goal may be out of reach. I think I'll try a less lofty goal of 2000-2100 FPS max. I don't have any fancy equipment, nor am I a reloading expert. I think it's wise for me to take a more conservative road and just tinker in the "slightly above spec" range, but no further. I'm quite fond of my rifle, and for that matter all of my fingers and both of my eyes. Gaining a few hundred FPS isn't worth the cost of any of those.

Thanks again everyone!

TACOTACO
TacoTaco

Postby bushmeister » Thu May 10, 2012 6:02 am

wildcatter wrote:and I have made the statement, that I have blown-up more rifles, then most men will own.
..t

I believe this statement, I was just wondering... is that a 2 handed number, a hands and feet number, or do I need to get one of them abacus'es? :D
bushmeister

Postby wildcatter » Thu May 10, 2012 7:12 am

TacoTaco wrote:Thanks for all of the feedback everyone, it's appreciated. Based on the responses, it looks like my goal may be out of reach. I think I'll try a less lofty goal of 2000-2100 FPS max. I don't have any fancy equipment, nor am I a reloading expert. I think it's wise for me to take a more conservative road and just tinker in the "slightly above spec" range, but no further. I'm quite fond of my rifle, and for that matter all of my fingers and both of my eyes. Gaining a few hundred FPS isn't worth the cost of any of those.

Thanks again everyone!

TACOTACO

That's better and think about it a moment. Only you and I would think 2000fps, 300grainers, are not enough, but if actual comparisons are made, a different picture starts to emerge.

When compared to the 45-70, factory Win, Fed, ammo publishes 1880fps from a 24" Barrel. Of course you can load that cartridge Up, when used in modern day, stout weapons, but then that would not be the load that contributed to the Buffalo Hunts of yesteryear or the loading that made the 45-70 famous, in modern times. But then, the factory published 45-70 loading of 1880fps for a 300gr load is no slouch by any measure, and regularly kills everything on the planet, with deadly aplomb. That combo at the muzzle has a TKO factor of 36.9 and at 100yds has a Taylor of 33.6. Compare that to your 300gr bullet, which will be used in a much shorter barrel (16" vs 24") and far less BC numbers (appox. .2 for the Hornady vs .43 for the 45-70). Now, your bullet, Hornady's 300XTP-Mag, at 2000fps has a TKO of 38.7 at the muzzle, thus decidedly, out killing the 45-70, AND WITH A 16" BARREL, and even with the superior BC of the 45-70, your bullet still hangs in there at 31.9 TKO units, at 100yds. If you can reach 2100fps, those numbers go way, way beyond the venerable old 45-70.

Bottom Line: Your load at 2000fps (assuming you can get to that number safely) and the 45-70 adjusted to a 16" barrel, just to keep things Apples to Apples, Blows the 45-70 "Right-Smack-out of the-Water"!!!

Message to: You and I..and anyone who thinks like us.."When is enough, Enough"? Or. "How dead do we want the animal"?

Of course we always want more, but in reality, we have so much Residual Power, than is necessary, that when we get to the animal, if we choose the correct bullet for the particular mission, can decide any issue, under any condition, anytime of the week. Try saying that with a 7mm Mag or 300 Win Mag!! How do you say, No-Way, Hose-A, or Hose-B or (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m30mG3JK ... =fvwp&NR=1) !!

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Previous

Return to Reloading for the 450b