caution!!!! need some opinions

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: caution!!!! need some opinions

Postby wildcatter » Mon May 21, 2012 9:18 am

alaskabushmaster wrote:I didn't set up the chrono this time around but I bumped the charge to 35 grns and loaded ten rounds. All ten rounds fired fine no cycle issues, 2 inch groups at 75yds. Not the kind of accuracy I get from the barnes but I can hit a bear over the baiter in the heart at 50! The swipe marks are gone from the cases. I went back to the remington 7 1/2s as well. Tonight I will load 20 rounds with the 300 deepcurls and 20 with the barnes XPBs. I don't believe I will be taking the deepcurls as my primary ammo. The barnes will stay in the pack with the deepcurls as a back up. I also cleaned my chamber as good as I could before shooting. I do not run my guns very "wet" just a little hoppes gun oil. Thank you all for the solution to my problem. I have a purple mark on my cheek from the bushy and the 300 today time to find a frozen chunk of meat.

Ya Get'en a little late in the game to be doing ammo work-ups, that hunt has got to be, like next week, or therein abouts. If that's the case, go with what works, at fifty yards, everything will work.

Make sure you take lots of pictures for us. When you Cape-Out the animals, do a Postmortem on the Terminal Ballistics and you can't include too much data for the Renegades around here. Then a general assessment would be great.

Good Hunting!!

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby alaskabushmaster » Tue May 22, 2012 9:18 pm

Im sold on that idea wildcatter. I have found a moose carcass in the snow near my baiter but it smells way too nasty to cut it open if i shot it. Now back on the brown bear post kill disection. As i am not required to salvage any meat i will post good pictures. Also after i have the hide and head off i can shoot the carcass as many times as i would like to test. I will include a bone through shoulder shot as well. this in all hoping i will get a big bruin. I havent struck out any other year. I will be running the 250 grn xpbs as those i have worked up in the past and my gun loves them. The deep curls will be for camp defense up close and chores around the cabin, maybe for a plink shot here and there.
MOM I WANNA GO FAST!!!! "RICKEY BOBBY"
alaskabushmaster

Postby alaskabushmaster » Tue May 22, 2012 9:24 pm

to wildcatter

I Will be hunting browns/grizz in between willow mountain and the kashwitna river valley. If I can make the 8 mile trek with the deep snow this year i will hike all the way to the middle kashwitna valley. I will be hunting blacks in upper college fjord i believe unless you might have another fjord that holds more bears. We will take the boat up as far as the ice allows in college then zodiac in from there with a few spare props. LOT O BEARS in there. These locations have always been good to me and i believe they should be again this year. For loads I love the 250grn XPB over 38grns lil gun. Its proved itself a killer the last few years. The petals sometimes come off but the terminal performance is amazing. Ive shot through a few good size bears end to end. Ive never recovered a core of the xpb just a few petals. My gun loves that load. Ill be packing out thursday to the cabin and next weekend i hope to get a brown before the season closes.MOM I WANNA GO FAST!!!! "RICKEY BOBBY"
alaskabushmaster

You have any tips for hunting big blackies in PWC? I have a few good spots but im always open to ideas. PM me if you share info on that kind of thing. most dont so i understand
alaskabushmaster

Postby wildcatter » Wed May 23, 2012 4:31 pm

alaskabushmaster wrote:to wildcatter

I Will be hunting browns/grizz in between willow mountain and the kashwitna river valley. If I can make the 8 mile trek with the deep snow this year i will hike all the way to the middle kashwitna valley. I will be hunting blacks in upper college fjord i believe unless you might have another fjord that holds more bears. We will take the boat up as far as the ice allows in college then zodiac in from there with a few spare props. LOT O BEARS in there. These locations have always been good to me and i believe they should be again this year. For loads I love the 250grn XPB over 38grns lil gun. Its proved itself a killer the last few years. The petals sometimes come off but the terminal performance is amazing. Ive shot through a few good size bears end to end. Ive never recovered a core of the xpb just a few petals. My gun loves that load. Ill be packing out thursday to the cabin and next weekend i hope to get a brown before the season closes.MOM I WANNA GO FAST!!!! "RICKEY BOBBY"
alaskabushmaster

You have any tips for hunting big blackies in PWC? I have a few good spots but im always open to ideas. PM me if you share info on that kind of thing. most dont so i understand

What's the deal on grizz, these days. Can a local get the licenses over the counter or is that a lottery, and how about the Outsiders?

I have had to kill three bears, that were trying to kill us. The last, up on the Copper River Pass. So yes, I have lots of tips, first.."don't get eaten" and second.."run faster than the other guys" and carry a 22lr pocket rocket, so you can shoot the guy faster than you, in the knee.

Myself, I knew no Grizz, could ever catch me, cause he'd have so much trouble slipping in my poop!!

..t

Ps.. If you can carry a 25lb propane tank, with a nozzle made to hiss out the propane over a two week period (that's a pretty slow leak), you'll have the best bait there is. We did tests, North of Barrow and got all manor of predators (fox, wolves, wolverine, etc), including all of the great bears, to come out on the ice pack, sometimes out too, as much as, five miles..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby commander faschisto » Wed May 23, 2012 5:50 pm

Propane predator bait??? That's a new one on me, t... :) I may have to try that in our back yard...its nine miles to civilization past our back fence, and its full of all manner of, thank God, predators smaller than grizz. Sounds too tempting to pass up as an experiment!
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby alaskabushmaster » Thu May 24, 2012 12:55 am

A local or a resident can get a tag over the counter with a locking metal tag for 35 dollars anywhere in the state. some of the islands kodiak ect. are draw hunts. Out of staters are not allowed to hunt without a licensed guide for browns. Now an out of state resident may hunt brown with a first cousin or closer relative with the 350 dollr tag nd no guide. some units up north have an over population of browns and a declining black bear population. Those units allow baiting for browns and two a year in a "predator control units". The population of brown bears is out of control if you ask me in the unit i hunt. For every black bear i have hit the bait i have 5 browns. Last season i had 15-17ish browns hit one bait and make me spend a ton of money on food just to get two shooter black bears in. The state says there are 3 times as many blacks as browns in the state but i have seen just the opposite. Its been crazy close a few times and almost been mauled a few times but so far all bluff charges and a warning shot did the trick. I cant wait to get a nice big brown this year. I start vacation from work tomorrow and pack out friday.
alaskabushmaster

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Thu May 24, 2012 5:04 am

This is gonna be interesting.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby LlindeX » Thu May 24, 2012 2:21 pm

commander faschisto wrote:Propane predator bait??? That's a new one on me, t... :) I may have to try that in our back yard...its nine miles to civilization past our back fence, and its full of all manner of, thank God, predators smaller than grizz. Sounds too tempting to pass up as an experiment!

Up until about four yrs ago, I hadn't heard of this one either. However, while archery hunting for elk here in Colorado, we had a large black bear begin to raid our camp while we were out hunting. We were keeping all of our foodstuffs hung from a tree out of reach, and we had always been careful about keeping all of our trash and scraps picked-up, put away in a sealed plastic bag, and also hung from a different tree about 30yrds from camp. Even with all the care we took, this bear hit our camp five times in the first week of the two weeks we were hunting. Each time, it would get into our utensil supply box, pick out a couple of the propane canisters, and bite them full of holes. Nothing else was bothered, just the propane canisters! It got so bad, to save our supplies we began hanging our stash of extra propane canisters from the trees like we had for the food. After we got back to town, I was talking to our local game warden and mentioned what had happened. He told me that it was a fairly common occurence. He said, "Bears are extremely attracted by the scent of propane".
Ask a Syrian why his gun rights are so important !
Then, ask yourself why any Politician really wants to take our's away !!!
LlindeX

Postby commander faschisto » Thu May 24, 2012 5:12 pm

Hmmm...I wonder how many gun owners I could attract if I set out a quart bottle of Hoppe's #9.... ;)
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby bushmeister » Thu May 24, 2012 6:33 pm

I was planning on using the butane powered thermocell for mosquitos on my upcoming Alaska fishing trip, but after reading this thread, I think I'll stick with DEET!! :shock:
bushmeister

PreviousNext

Return to Reloading for the 450b