Cannelure Tool and 230s

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Cannelure Tool and 230s

Postby TacoTaco » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:51 pm

All,

I'm noticing that folks running 230 FMJs are putting a really, really heavy Legendre crimp on your brass to build up pressure. This would (presumably) take its toll on the life of the brass, and since .450 brass isn't exactly growing on trees, this situation is less that desirable. Which got me thinking....

Would creating a cannelure on the FMJ using a cannelure tool (such as that made by CH4D) allow for a lighter crimp but still give you enough grip on the bullet to build up sufficient pressure?

TacoTaco
TacoTaco

Re: Cannelure Tool and 230s

Postby kottke_35 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:41 am

That's a good question, one that requires more know how than I have.

B.
Warriors don't shoot bull's-eyes.

” Blessed are those, who in the face of death, focus on the front sight.”
-Col.. Jeff Cooper
kottke_35

Postby Al in Mi » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:07 am

I'm thinking it would have to help some.
Al in Mi

Postby Hoot » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:59 am

Sounds like a perfect opportunity for you to run an A/B experiment and write up your findings Taco. We may wind up being able to also improve the performance of the 250 FTX since it does not have a cannelure either. Then there's the bullets that have cannelures, but not where we want them to be located for our caliber. All kinds of potential benefit to the community. Do you have a chronograph?

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby TacoTaco » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:56 am

Yup, I've got a Chrony. I think I'll order up a Cannelure tool and give it a shot. It would be nice if the short term cost of the tool would outweigh the long term cost of replacing brass. The biggest downside that I see is the added step of canneluring each bullet. But, it could be worse I suppose. I'll keep everyone posted as I receive data....
TacoTaco

Postby gunnut » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:18 am

This sounds REALLY GOOD! I'm using the 230 FMJs for the 450LM work up. no crimp yet. The 450LM brass is not easy to come by.
Good timing! Go for it!
gunnut

Postby LlindeX » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:23 pm

Putting a cannelure on the 230gr FMJ's sounds like it definitely is worth a try! I've never used one of those tools to make the cannelures, and it may be alot of work to put a cannelure onto the bullets with one of them. I'll be watching your results to see if you think it's worth the extra money it costs as well as the extra effort required to get it done.

Good idea, let us know what you find out.

LlindeX
Ask a Syrian why his gun rights are so important !
Then, ask yourself why any Politician really wants to take our's away !!!
LlindeX

Postby Al in Mi » Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:33 am

TacoTaco wrote:Yup, I've got a Chrony. I think I'll order up a Cannelure tool and give it a shot. It would be nice if the short term cost of the tool would outweigh the long term cost of replacing brass. The biggest downside that I see is the added step of canneluring each bullet. But, it could be worse I suppose. I'll keep everyone posted as I receive data....

Bug me Monday if I don't find it this morning, I have a older CH tool someplace I can send you for testing.
Al in Mi

Postby TacoTaco » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:00 pm

Thanks Al, but I just placed an order for the CH4D Tool today. Should have it by next week. Once I get a data set I'll post it up.

Taco
TacoTaco

Postby wildcatter » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:10 pm

I've used the CH tool allot, over the years. The trick is to put on a very slight groove and increasing the depth in very small amounts. Do not try to put it on all at once, the groove will walk and spiral around the bullet, like a Barbers, Candy Cane sign..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Next

Return to Reloading for the 450b