Lee Universal Charging Die Modification

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Lee Universal Charging Die Modification

Postby bushtoad » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:05 am

Hey quick question,
I have done various searches to no avail. Wondering if anyone around the fire can help a brother out.
In a post that is over a year old titled: "WHICH LOADING PRESS ??", lucasphi20 posted: "I've even created a quad-disk setup and modified the Lee universal charging die to work with the 450BM)" According to my research the Lee universal charging die will only go up to about a .308.
1. Does anyone know about this modification, and how to do it.
Or,
2. Do you have some other ideas on how a guy could use the Classic Lee turret press he got for Father's Day to charge his favorite rounds (.450Bush of course). I'm worried about the charging die, all else seems to be pretty do-able with some care, caution, and good set up.

Thanks for any help or guidance you might give,
bushtoad

Re: Lee Universal Charging Die Modification

Postby mnhornet » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:01 pm

I used my 45acp pistol charging die. I'll have to look at my notes, but if I recall I removed the spring from the auto disc, and cycled it manually. I was a bit clumsy, but threw consistant charges once I got it figured out.
The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.
mnhornet

Postby bushtoad » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:27 am

Thanks,
Any advise or pointers you might give will be mucho appreciated. Please let me know what you found that seemed to work.
bushtoad

Postby mnhornet » Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:50 pm

Sorry this took so long. I did use my auto disc with the 45acp charging die. I removed the spring, and made an effort to not flare the case too much.
I used the 1.18 disc x2 for a charge of 35 grains of Lil gun.
The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.
mnhornet

Postby bushtoad » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:32 am

Great! No mods to the 45acp die. I'll give that a try.
bushtoad

Postby mnhornet » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:14 pm

You should be good to go. With the spring removed it doesn't take much effort to actuate the measure, be gentle.
mnhornet

Return to Reloading for the 450b