Barnes MZ bullets

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: Barnes MZ bullets

Postby Caseknife » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:21 am

I'm already thinking about taking a "Black Rifle" into elk camp this fall. Wouldn't be to out of the ordinary for me, though, every couple of years I seem to be carrying something different while my partners are still carrying the same rifles for the past 20+years. Model54 Win '06, Rem 700 7mm mag, Rem 700 35 Whelen, Rem XP100 7mm BR, Ruger SRH 44mag, Win 70 338, Kimber 8400 Montana 300wsm, maybe a 450B this fall.

Thanks for all the info and the welcome to the campfire.
If guns kill people, then...
Pencils miss spel words
Cars make people drive drunk
Spoons make Rosie O'Donnell fat
Caseknife

Postby wildcatter » Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:20 pm

Caseknife wrote:I'm already thinking about taking a "Black Rifle" into elk camp this fall. Wouldn't be to out of the ordinary for me, though, every couple of years I seem to be carrying something different while my partners are still carrying the same rifles for the past 20+years. Model54 Win '06, Rem 700 7mm mag, Rem 700 35 Whelen, Rem XP100 7mm BR, Ruger SRH 44mag, Win 70 338, Kimber 8400 Montana 300wsm, maybe a 450B this fall.

Thanks for all the info and the welcome to the campfire.

And welcome my friend.

As sometime the ranges are long with Elk, make the 275gr Barnes XPB your friend. 400yd shots are no thing, as long as we do our part..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Caseknife » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:14 pm

We hunt in pretty heavy timber and of the 15 or so elk that I've killed, they've been anywhere from 10yds to 150 yds. I was thinking on leaning towards the 275 Barnes, but also trying the 200.
Pencils miss spel words
Caseknife

Postby Hoot » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:02 am

Caseknife wrote:...snip...I was thinking on leaning towards the 275 Barnes, but also trying the 200.

Either one will put Elk in the freezer out of this caliber. If I were limited to the 16" Carbine, I'd favor the 200.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Caseknife » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:42 pm

Thanks for all the great info, Hoot. I've got 2 boxes of brass on the way from Midway, I'll get dies at a later date and get to reloading. I'd definitely stick with the Barnes for hunting, just my preference.
Pencils miss spel words
Caseknife

Postby wildcatter » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:06 pm

Caseknife wrote:Thanks for all the great info, Hoot. I've got 2 boxes of brass on the way from Midway, I'll get dies at a later date and get to reloading. I'd definitely stick with the Barnes for hunting, just my preference.

Good go 'Ol-Man and Hoot is correct. The 200's will work but the 275's are my choice (for Elk), unless you want a general loading and include deer, yotes, and TexasSheepDogs, as your designated freezer bait. Otherwise, the 200's will do fine, a little under constructed for Elk, but I'd bet they'll do well..
..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Caseknife » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:23 pm

Wildcatter, did you just call me "Old". My Dad is old, he's 92 and still wishes he was out hunting, I'm only 50, hope that doesn't classify me as old, I've still got lots of plans. I might try the 250 XPB also, it seems to do the job on the great big man-eaters of the north. Just see what my rifle prefers.
Pencils miss spel words
Caseknife

Previous

Return to Reloading for the 450b