Haven't started yet

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Haven't started yet

Postby longnkrnch » Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:10 pm

Have not started to load the 450 yet, but plan to soon. I have read quite a bit here and there about various problems in reloading this cartridge. I am not looking to create some exotic new load, but simply want to get as close as possible to factory load performance and save $$. I will be using standard practices for loading straight wall pistol cartridges. Is there anything particular I need to look out for as far as problems?
longnkrnch

Re: Haven't started yet

Postby commander faschisto » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:19 pm

You can find a bunch of info by using the search function on the website, and specifically in the reloading sub-form, I would think. Use terms like "250 grain FTX" or "factory load" etc.
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:01 pm

As for cheap reloads you can't beat the Hornady 230Gr FMJ FPs or the MagTech 230 Gr FMJs. Just don't EVER use plated bullets like Berry or Rainier. And hit Midway up for a Lee 45-70 crimp die so you can modify it into a LeGendre Side Crimp Die. http://450bushmaster.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=685
For more info, fix ya self a pot of Cafe' Du Monde' and settle in for a good read
Here....
http://450bushmaster.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8633
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Hoot » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:37 pm

If you want to reproduce the factory load, pick up while you can, these 250gr FTX blems while they're still some left. At $21 a box of 50:
Link Here
That's a good price. If that's all you are interested in, I'd say buy as many as you can afford. They don't go bad on the shelf.

If you want to shoot less expensively, but still effectively, the 225gr FTX are spectacular performers and you can get boxes of 100 for $24.96 from:
Link Here
That's about the same price as the FMJs and with all due respect to the FMJs, the 225 FTXs will shoot the pants off of them. They occasionally are available from Midway as blems for even greater savings.

Pick up some Remington 7 1/2 primers because they're the best for this application.

Pick up some Lil Gun powder.

Not sure if you're going to get your brass from buying factory loads and recycling it, buying the new, unloaded brass, or hunting for some used brass. Whatever gets you there.

That stuff and a set of dies will start you off and serve you well. Once you feel comfortable reloading for this caliber and want to diversify your bullets, consider modding the Lee FCD and playing with the stab crimp method as well.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Jim in Houston » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:30 pm

The 450 Bushmaster was the first round I had ever reloaded and I started with zippo and this forum and went from there. You will see my posts and questions all over the reloading thread - http://www.450bushmaster.net/viewforum.php?f=5. Note, the reason I started was the cost of the ammo - about $1.50 a pop, although occassionally you can find it cheaper (and that info is usually somewhere on the forum). If you buy some as cheaply as you can, save your brass, and reload from there, you will save about $1.00 per round, and I figured that I paid for my reloading gear somewhere between three and four hundred rounds. Note that if you need equipment, including dies, Hornady is having a "free bullet" offer, if you buy their gear.

Good luck and come back to the forum, if you have any questions after reading through the reloading threads.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Return to Reloading for the 450b