Where to start on the 250 Grain Deep Curls...

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Where to start on the 250 Grain Deep Curls...

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:59 am

Okay, I've been kicking around where to start on these Speer 250 grain Deep Curls. I've read several posts on the 300 Grain Deep Curl, And I've read some posts on the 250 FTXs by Hornady.
I have a few different powder options. Lil Gun, 296, and 2400 are my three main options.
Would the powder data for the 250 Gr FTX bullets be a good starting point?
Also wondering if I should apply a LeGendre side crimp along with a taper crimp.
Any suggestions?
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Re: Where to start on the 250 Grain Deep Curls...

Postby Hoot » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:07 am

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:Okay, I've been kicking around where to start on these Speer 250 grain Deep Curls. I've read several posts on the 300 Grain Deep Curl, And I've read some posts on the 250 FTXs by Hornady.
I have a few different powder options. Lil Gun, 296, and 2400 are my three main options.
Would the powder data for the 250 Gr FTX bullets be a good starting point?
Also wondering if I should apply a LeGendre side crimp along with a taper crimp.
Any suggestions?

Do you intend to seat them to catch the cannelure in the mouth?

If so, I believe it'll be hard to beat Lil Gun and a taper crimp into that cannelure.

Why not the Hornady 240gr XTP Mag?

They're only $25/100 from Manventure and the thick wall with pronounced cannelure do a good job with the taper crimp. They gave me great 100 yd groups only second to the FTXs.

Not my best group, but a good indicator of what they can do at 100 yds. That's .87 MOA for 4-shots and 1.25 for all five. I realize there is a Speer DeepCurl rage going on here recently, but the Hornady's have a good track record as well, with the added benefit of the thicker jacket.

38gr of Lil Gun gits 'er done. ;)

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Re: Where to start on the 250 Grain Deep Curls...

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:13 pm

Kottke 35 picked up 2 boxes of the 250 deep curls a few weeks ago and sent them to me. I think we paid less than $20 a box for them. But yeah, I want to crimp in the cannelure.
My recent thoughts have been to try to achieve this....
(Factory load)
With various available bullets that I run across that I don't see anyone here talking about and to Chrony and Watershot test them. Yes, the DeepCurls are a hot topic right now but who has Chrony'd and water shot tested them? Guess I'm gonna play guinea pig. Ultimately, I would like to get a piggy with this round so that I can do a video post mortem to show the Terminal performance in various rounds.

Yeah, I need to go back to sleep. good night.

Last bumped by Texas Sheepdawg on Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:13 pm.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Return to Reloading for the 450b