.452 Bullet Sizing

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

.452 Bullet Sizing

Postby TacoTaco » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:55 pm

Will this work for sizing down .458 bullets to .452? I have NO experience sizing bullets....this is a cheap method, if it'll work.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/116429 ... 2-diameter
TacoTaco

Re: .452 Bullet Sizing

Postby commander faschisto » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:24 pm

Resizing .458 to .452 has been discussed and described previously in the forum...you might try using the search function. It can and has been done, but its a multi-step process, taking it down in several increments.
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby TacoTaco » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:40 pm

commander faschisto wrote:Resizing .458 to .452 has been discussed and described previously in the forum...you might try using the search function. It can and has been done, but its a multi-step process, taking it down in several increments.

Thx
TacoTaco

Postby randyf » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:58 pm

TacoTaco wrote:Will this work for sizing down .458 bullets to .452? I have NO experience sizing bullets....this is a cheap method, if it'll work.

I have two of the Lee resizing dies.

First I run them thru a .454 die and follow up with a .451 die. (the bullets spring back to .452)

I do them on a turrent press, the .454 have been fine..........but the .451 has been a real bitch!! I have been getting quite afew of the bullets stuck in the die. I have tired all kinds of lubes....STP oil Treatment has seemed to be the best.
randyf

Postby wildcatter » Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:25 pm

TacoTaco wrote:Will this work for sizing down .458 bullets to .452? I have NO experience sizing bullets....this is a cheap method, if it'll work.

I use my Lee all the time, it works great.. if, see below. I suggested originally, the Lee Re-sizer, way back in the Cal-Gun Days

Randy,

Get some Liquid Lanolin, I resize in one step, as in one pass, to .451 and the spring back goes to ,4515-.452, the Sweet-Spots.

You could buy Dillon's case lube which is lanolin and alcohol, as the carrier. http://www.dillonprecision.com/content/ ... 66/catid/8

Either way, quit using STP!!

You can get Liquid Lanolin at most Drug Stores. http://www.amazon.com/Now-Foods-Liquid- ... B000J3Z73I

But here's a Home Method, for making the most excellent Dillion Type of Case-Lube. From Father Frog..

One of the advantages of using sprayed on lanolin as a case lube is that, in the quantities used, any residual lube has no effect on powder or primers.

Spray Lube
The spray-on case lubes are probably the best thing to happen to reloading in years. You can make your own spray case sizing lube in bulk by mixing liquid lanolin and 99% isopropyl alcohol. (While you can (kind of) use 91% isopropyl alcohol, its higher water content causes the lanolin to settle out and it must be shaken frequently during use.

NOTE: The more common 70% isopropyl "rubbing alcohol" will not work at all as its water content is much to high, nor will
denatured alcohol. work. You need to use pure liquid lanolin as the fatty solids in anhydrous lanolin will settle out in the alcohol

Liquid lanolin, which is a refined lanolin oil with the solid fats removed (the reason why solid anhydrous lanolin doesn't work well in this application) is available from health food stores and sources specializing in ingredients for cosmetics. You want to get pure liquid lanolin without additives. Online sources include VitaGlo (http://www.vitaglo.com/7730.html) or try "Amazon.com" for other suppliers.

I just recently discovered that my local Safeway store carries 99 percent isopropyl in their drug/cosmetic isle for about $2.50 for a 16 ounce bottle. Ninety-nine percent isopropyl alcohol is also available from many large paint stores (used for some finishes), some electronics stores (it's used for cleaning electronics) or local industrial chemical suppliers.

A solution of 1 part liquid lanolin and 4 to 5 parts parts 99 percent isopropyl alcohol (4 oz of liquid lanolin to16 - 20 oz of isopropyl) works well. When mixing you may find that the lanolin mixes better if you warm both the alcohol and lanolin in a bath of warm water to about 105 - 110 degrees F before mixing. DO NOT WARM EITHER OF THEM OVER AN OPEN FLAME! Once the solutions are warm, pour together, mix thoroughly, allow the mix to cool (mix occasionally as it cools) and store in an air tight container to prevent water from being absorbed by the isopropyl.

For a spray bottle you can use an old commercial spray lube bottle or an old pump hair spray bottle that has been thoroughly cleaned. To apply the lube, spread the cases in a single layer on a clean surface like an oven tray (those disposable aluminum oven liner trays are great and prevent the wrath of your chef when it is discovered that the cookie trays were used) and lightly and evenly spray the cases. Allow the cases to sit for a couple of minutes, roll the cases around and lightly spray again. Wait until the alcohol has evaporated (about 5 minutes) and start sizing. Properly lubed cases will have a slightly greasy feel to them without feeling slimy.

Another neat idea for spraying the cases is to put them in a plastic bag, spray, and then mix the cases, dump out on some newspaper, and let dry. Less messy than putting the cases on an oven tray and less likely to get you in trouble with the head chef.

Once you start using Lanolin, you'll not go back to the other junk. I use it for everything..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby bigboreshooter » Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:39 pm

Thanks for the tip T
Three is two, two is one and one is none.
bigboreshooter

Postby TacoTaco » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:38 pm

You guys are awesome. Thanks for the advice!! Lee Sizer ordered.
TacoTaco

Postby Hoot » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:24 pm

When we were experimenting with making bullets from annealed .40 S&W cases, I bought a .452 Lee Lube and Sizer kit and all I used was my normal Imperial Wax, which I suspect has lanolin in it as well. It's very effective, though not as quick to apply as spray on coatings. Unfortunately, that side venture took it's toll on my Lee Classic Cast press and it got a little sloppy. I bought a Rock Chucker and it had no problem with the task. I still have the Lee mounted alongside the Rock Chucker, but it is relegated to either taper or stab crimping after the bullet is seated in the Rock Chucker next to it. Saves changing dies and running them back through the Rock Chucker.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby TacoTaco » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:27 pm

I just picked up a new Rockchucker Supreme yesterday....sounds like that was a wise choice!
TacoTaco

Postby BD1 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:31 am

When I started into the .450B a few years ago I re-sized a number of .458 jacketed designs, maybe 300- 400 bullets total, using the the Lee .454 and .452 size kits and imperial sizing wax on my Rock Chucker. No issues at all. For me the Imperial wax is quicker than spraying on lube, possibly because I'm so used to using it while re-sizing cases. No separate process is required, I just touch my finger tips to the wax every other bullet and that transfers enough lube to the bullets to keep things running smoothly. I haven't done any since then as I didn't find any advantage in using the heavier jacketed bullets.
BD
BD1

Location: Northern Maine, Working on the coast, but home is still Moosehead Lake.

Next

Return to Reloading for the 450b