45 cal powerbelt bullets?

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: 45 cal powerbelt bullets?

Postby Hoot » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:17 am

Last Saturday, I saw some FTX looking ML bullets at Fleet Farm that had large hollow bases, I assume to aid in sealing in the barrel without a patch, sabot or skirt.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Al in Mi » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:07 pm

those be 50cal wanna be maxi balls. I could never get them to shoot even with dirty ole blackpowder.
Al in Mi

Postby longnkrnch » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:53 pm

No, I would remove it. I am going to ask the local supplier if I can open a pack and measure the diameter before I buy any. Have no other use for them if they turn out to be undersized.
longnkrnch

Postby longnkrnch » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:01 pm

The reason I suspect them to be underside is because I use the 54 cal version in my muzzle loader and they load super easy. So easy that I put the ram rod in and reseat after transporting the rifle on the 4 wheeler for fear they've moved off the powder. They shoot good though.
longnkrnch

Postby pitted bore » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:33 pm

pitted bore wrote:Are you planning on leaving the plastic base attached?

longnkrnch wrote:No, I would remove it. I am going to ask the local supplier if I can open a pack and measure the diameter before I buy any. Have no other use for them if they turn out to be undersized.

longnkrnch-
So how are the plastic patch/bases attached to the bullets? Does the plastic part of the bullet drop off the bullet after it exits from the muzzle, or does it hang on all the way to the target? Just curious.
--Bob
pitted bore

Postby kottke_35 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:29 pm

There is a small tail on the end of the power belt that holds the plastic gas ring in. the ring generally falls off in the way to the target.

B.
Warriors don't shoot bull's-eyes.

” Blessed are those, who in the face of death, focus on the front sight.”
-Col.. Jeff Cooper
kottke_35

Postby wildcatter » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:00 pm

kottke_35 wrote:There is a small tail on the end of the power belt that holds the plastic gas ring in. the ring generally falls off in the way to the target.

B.

The ones I have measured (45cal) are all .451-.452", making them great for our uses..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Previous

Return to Reloading for the 450b