45 cal powerbelt bullets?

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

45 cal powerbelt bullets?

Postby longnkrnch » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:43 am

Has anyone considered 45 cal powerbelt bullets for the 450? I haven't measured them but I'm thinking they are sized a little under bore.
longnkrnch

Re: 45 cal powerbelt bullets?

Postby wildcatter » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:10 pm

longnkrnch wrote:Has anyone considered 45 cal powerbelt bullets for the 450? I haven't measured them but I'm thinking they are sized a little under bore.

See, that's the Beauty of this system, as long as they are .451-.458" dia. we can find a use for them. Try'em out, shoot some water jugs with them, using some known bullet as a control. We pretty much know what Hornady's 250gr ftx's are going to do, in water. So, all we've got to do is compare and this comparison, will tell us of the many uses, we might put this bullet through.

As we have literally hundreds of bullets, at our disposal. It might be a good idea to standardize a Hydro test, with say two different bullets. In this way we could get a relative comparison and get a good idea, what to use the bullet for, i.e., I sure wouldn't use a bullet that preforms like a 45 Colt round for Moose, then again I might want even more expansion for home defense and this standardized testing, could more quickly, weed the patch some.

I have used one gallon milk jugs, and love them, which is why I suggested them, many long Moons ago and are used by many here. They are cheap, plentiful, and a great standard to use. I don't like wet paper, simply because you cant regulate how much water is in them and it's difficult to get, all the same kind of paper, making the repeatability, almost useless..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Hoot » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:11 pm

I use a 4ft length of 2x10 with 8 1 galling jugs duct taped to it, sitting on top of my WorkMate.

Kind of like this:

I've done a lot of shots and never had anything go through all 8. I had them go through 7, when they're too slow to expand. The vertical wraps of tape keep them from kicking out sideways and the end-to-end wrap keep them snugged up, reducing the possibility of the bullet veering off course.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Al in Mi » Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:36 pm

longnkrnch wrote:Has anyone considered 45 cal powerbelt bullets for the 450? I haven't measured them but I'm thinking they are sized a little under bore.

are these plated ?
Al in Mi

Postby wildcatter » Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:47 pm

Of course Hoots method is very instructive.

I on the other hand, am a bit more lazy.

I use a 2x6 as a floor plate, to it's sides I use two 2x6's, attached to the sides of the floor plate, causing a trough to be formed, that has 4" sides. leaving the back end on the ground, and elevating the front end, I get back about 15' and let her go. If I make it through all of the jugs, the ground captures the bullet strike.

I use a 2x6 trough, because the jugs are 5.5" wide and fit the trough well.

I may go to 2x4 sides, wherein the trough will have sides only 2" high, in an effort to keep the side boards from breaking from dynamic pressures, which they do. This is a cheap and fast way to do this testing. Though, I like Hoots method, I just don't like the idea of all that tape construction.

I bet there may be other ideas..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Hoot » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:16 pm

I initially tried a wood railed frame like this:

The energy released by the expolding jugs took its toll and after 1 shot, it looked like this:

Perhaps a welded steel angle stock frame would have fared better, but the duct tape worked so well, I have stayed with it ever since. You can reuse most of the duct tape strapping several times.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby longnkrnch » Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:15 pm

I guess no ones tried them. I might have to be the first.
longnkrnch

Postby kottke_35 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:10 pm

I'm wondering if you will be able to achieve proper neck tension with the power belts? I guess it could be worth a try. Let us know how they come out! I never was able to get great accuracy with them in my ML.

B.
Warriors don't shoot bull's-eyes.

” Blessed are those, who in the face of death, focus on the front sight.”
-Col.. Jeff Cooper
kottke_35

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:54 pm

We all remember how my last water shot went....! LOL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esX614w9 ... ata_player
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby pitted bore » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:34 am

longnkrnch-
Are you planning on leaving the plastic base attached?
'
--Bob
pitted bore

Next

Return to Reloading for the 450b