Are we ever going to see a pinned load data thread?

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Are we ever going to see a pinned load data thread?

Postby 450b-recluse » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:16 pm

I'm sorry if I ask stupid questions about something that is probably right in front of me, but is there, or will there ever be a thread that just sits there gathering loading info from all who care to contribute?
Scrounging aroung in 2-3 year old threads seems counter-productive.
I know that over the past few years I have seen some really great threads on this topic.
Why can't they be stuffed into a spot where we could all just enjoy hell out of them?
450b-recluse

Re: Are we ever going to see a pinned load data thread?

Postby Jim in Houston » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:59 pm

I agree this would be a good idea. For consistency, we should have a table or format to be filled-in so that the type of information for different bullets is collected consistently. I would also include chrono and group size information, even though this can vary due to environmental factors and the skill of the shooter independent of the measurable parameters like powder and bullet weight.

If some piece or pieces of data was / were missing or unavailable, that would be OK.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Re: Are we ever going to see a pinned load data thread?

Postby pitted bore » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:13 pm

Some sort of index or table for combinations of components that forum members have posted could be useful.
However, I'm not convinced that a posting of any and all data generated by forum members should be set up, unless it also included pressure data.

For example, here's a load I've reported in some previous posts:

Case: Hornady
Primer: CCI 41
Powder: Enforcer
Powder Weight: 51 grains
Bullet: C.O.P./General 160-grain
COAL: 2.667
barrel length: 26"
velocity at 10 feet: 3145 fps

There is a problem with listing these data in a forum-wide data table: You (and I) have no idea of the pressures this load produces. It apparently didn't generate enough to destroy my rifle with a few firings, but beyond that I cannot say. I didn't see any signs of overpressure like abnormal case head expansion, blown primers, etc. However, properly instrumented labs have reported excessive pressures (70,000+ psi) with no obvious physical signs, so I'm not ready to say the above load is "safe".

An index or table showing various experimental component combinations shot by forum members with links to the original posts would be useful, and save wear-and-tear on google and other engines used to search the forum.

Online tabular information can be set up so that tables can be generated and sorted when displayed in a browser. There may be hundreds of various scripts for this. http://www.kryogenix.org/code/browser/sorttable/

For setting up a table with at least some columns that could be sorted, I can think offhand of about 20 columns that would be useful. Here is a quick list of some of these:
  • LINK to forum post(s) from which the information is drawn
  • case mfr
  • case type (e.g. 450? 284?)
  • primer mfr
  • primer ID
  • Powder mfr
  • powder type
  • powder lot # (really impt with non-cannister powders)
  • powder amount (maybe this column omitted, to force a reading of the original report)
  • bullet mfr
  • bullet weight
  • bullet type
  • bullet ID
  • OAL
(A separate table might have to be set up for cast bullets, because of the multiple variables associated with their use, including mold #, alloy, hardness, gas check, case filler (type, amount), etc.)

Such a table could make it easy to find out what has been tried. Again, the purpose of the table is not to supply reloading information. It is the provide easy access to the descriptions of experiences with reloading the cartridge.

Comments and catcalls about this suggestion are welcome.

--Bob
pitted bore

Return to Reloading for the 450b