.450 die questions

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

.450 die questions

Postby longnkrnch » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:03 pm

I am about to order a set of .45 BM dies. I don't see in any ads that they are carbide. Can anyone tell me if they are? I would at least like the sizing die to be carbide. Also, all I have seen is the "zip spindle" design. These don't look like they will work in a standard threaded press, like my RCBS. Is there another model of the .450 die I should be looking for?
longnkrnch

Re: .450 die questions

Postby longnkrnch » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:04 pm

Excuse the mistype. I mean't .450 Bushmaster dies.
longnkrnch

Postby Hoot » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:40 pm

longnkrnch wrote:I am about to order a set of .45 BM dies. I don't see in any ads that they are carbide. Can anyone tell me if they are? I would at least like the sizing die to be carbide. Also, all I have seen is the "zip spindle" design. These don't look like they will work in a standard threaded press, like my RCBS. Is there another model of the .450 die I should be looking for?

We abbreviate all kinds of ways as well. No, they aren't carbide, but it's never been an issue to me. The zip spindle term is a reference to the decapping stem system. It's quick to rough adjust then you can slowly fine tune the depth, that's all. The dies work fine in any standard 7/8-14 press like a Rockchucker.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby pitted bore » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:51 pm

longnkrnch wrote:I am about to order a set of .45 BM dies. I don't see in any ads that they are carbide. Can anyone tell me if they are? I would at least like the sizing die to be carbide.

longnkrnch-
It might help if you would explain your reasons for wanting a carbide sizing die. I'm willing to learn about this.

My personal opinion is that a carbide die is not needed for reloading the 450B any more than a carbide die is needed for a 30-06. (Yes, there are some 30-06 carbide dies around, but they're really expensive.) Most carbide dies are intended for pistol cartridges. The 450B is a rifle cartridge.

longnkrnch wrote:Also, all I have seen is the "zip spindle" design. These don't look like they will work in a standard threaded press, like my RCBS. Is there another model of the .450 die I should be looking for?

Here's a photo of a set of zip-spindle Hornady dies (Image from the sinclair int'l web site). I'm curious what about them makes you suspect they wont work in a usual press with a 7/8-14 threads?
Are you perhaps confusing the "zip spindle" with the Lock-N-Load feature of some Hornady dies and presses. The lock and load equipment consists of a collar with inner 7/8-14 threads which you screw onto a die. The exterior of the collar acts as a bayonet-type locking device, so that you drop the collar with the die attached into the bayonet socket adapter screwed into the threads of the press. This allows rapid attachment and removal of dies from the press. Image below shows the press adapter on the left, and three die adapters on the right.
Next image shows die with the adapter attached.
The Hornady 450B die set comes without the adapters. The dies should screw right into your press.

--Bob
pitted bore

Postby longnkrnch » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:38 pm

I use carbide dies for all my straight wall pistol type ammo to eliminate the case lube step. It's just cleaner and easier that way. .450 being the same type of case, I would think that carbide would be the way to go. Since it's not, I can lube, it's just another step.
longnkrnch

Postby longnkrnch » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:40 pm

And, yes, I confused the zip spindle with the lock n load feature. Thanks for clarifying that.
longnkrnch

Return to Reloading for the 450b