mag primers

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: mag primers

Postby Siringo » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:46 am

Siringo

Postby gunnut » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:07 pm

Very good read! Thanks for the info.......Another tool in the box. ;)
gunnut

Postby wildcatter » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:05 pm

Hoot wrote:So who knows what the hottest reported Small Rifle Mag primer brand is? I don't use the hard cup (mil) primers.

Hoot

My experiments all point to Remmy 7-1/2's..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Hoot » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:38 pm

wildcatter wrote:
Hoot wrote:So who knows what the hottest reported Small Rifle Mag primer brand is? I don't use the hard cup (mil) primers.

Hoot

My experiments all point to Remmy 7-1/2's..

..t

Ditto, though technically it is not listed as a Magnum. After looking through my stash and realizing I didn't have any Small Rifle Magnum Primers, my intention was to retest with the 7 1/2.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby pitted bore » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:42 am

Hoot wrote: ... though technically it [Rem 7-1/2] is not listed as a Magnum. ...

A couple of websites, handloads.com and chuckhawks, list the Rem 7-1/2 as a magnum. The data in the riflemansjournal report cited above also seems to show that the Rem primer is pretty "hot".

I cannot find any comparative data to show where the CCI mag primers (#450 and #41) might rank compared to the Rem primer. If information about the relative rank of CCI mag primers is available, a post about where to find it would be really helpful.

Further complicating the primer choice problem is the recent introduction of the Federal Match Small Rifle Magnum primer (GM205MAR) intended for the AR. (Midway product #953153612).

TulAmmo also produces a SR Mag primer at attractive prices, with the supply pipeline apparently pretty steady. (An argument about using Russian- vs US-made primers belongs in another thread.)

Hornady used the WIn SR primer in their load development, which implies they thought it was hot enough for powders like 296.

There seems to be insufficient readily available information to help with primer choices.

--Bob
pitted bore

Postby Hoot » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:22 am

pitted bore wrote:...snip...
TulAmmo also produces a SR Mag primer at attractive prices, with the supply pipeline apparently pretty steady. (An argument about using Russian- vs US-made primers belongs in another thread.)...snip...
--Bob

That's the SRM that German covers in the linked Rifleman's Journal article above. They fall In between the 205M and BR4. Tula makes them and several companies sell them, sometimes under their own name.

I agree that conclusive information about primers is spread about the web. I wish German would revisit his original article and add some of the missing ones in a "Part 2" as he has the test fixture. I realize raw power is not all there is to a quality primer, but I salute his approach with the camera images. They at least put one aspect of primer function into perspective.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby longrangedog1000yd » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:29 am

longrangedog1000yd

Postby Hoot » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:40 am

longrangedog1000yd wrote:another primer link " http://www.jamescalhoon.com/primers_and_pressure.php"

Holy Moley. When I get it wrong, I really get it wrong!

I never measured what I used to call case head growth until happening upon this caliber. I thought I understood what was meant by measuring it, but now I know I was wrong. I had never cared for the method because other members were reporting different growth than I was getting. In my case, I got worse. I was measuring the part of the case just above the web, where the actual walls begin. Small wonder they grew more than the solid case web and head. Image

Now perhaps I can better judge that phenomenon when working up my loads. What's worse is that it totally makes sense and what I was doing did not.

The primer part is also comforting to learn that the Remington 7 1/2 primers have relatively thick cups without calling themselves "mil". Guess I'll be staying with them.

That link is going in my Information Depository (not my choice for a title). Thanks for sharing it.

The scales have fallen from my eyes.

Hoot
Hoot

Previous

Return to Reloading for the 450b