.451?

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

.451?

Postby longnkrnch » Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:14 pm

I see some using .451 bullets with pretty good results. Are there any downsides to using .451s?
longnkrnch

Re: .451?

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:40 pm

They are supposed to not be as accurate and concerns about not getting a good seal in the bore but I've not had any issues.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby commander faschisto » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:05 pm

Yep,...if you check around in the reloading subforum and other places around the campfire there, there've probably been as many .451s fired in the 450b as .452s...there doesn't really seem to be any problem, likely due to the large bore size and its relative insensitivity to a .001" diameter variation.
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby LlindeX » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:24 pm

I've been shooting the Hornady .451 230gr FMJ round nose bullets in my 20" BM. I'm using the "Tightneck" case sizing method to ensure good bullet neck tension along with Lil'Gun powder and I haven't had any problems. Accuracy is a little bit worse than with the factory 250gr FTX fodder, but is still respectible and definitely in the "Kill Zone" of any big game animal out to what I feel is resonable range for the load. The "SMACK" on the target backing will bring a grin to your face. And if'n you've got any railroad ties that need killing, this is the load to do it with !!! At 100 yds, it leaves a fist-sized hole on the exit side every time. Heck, Texas Sheepdog has put the 230gr MagTech FMJ round nose through 7/16" plate steel and has posted the videos to prove it.

Been holding my muzzle velocities down to around 2300 fps, but I know others on here are successfully flinging 'em out there ALOT FASTER!!! I've been wanting to try the jacketed flat nose rounds as well. I know Wildcatter swears by their effectiveness. Just wish someone made one that was legal for hunting use here in Colorado (not that the 250gr FTX hasn't done the job on elk so far. But unfortunately, they just aren't constructed to take the speeds above about 2300fps.) Until I find a bullet capable of handling the blistering speeds some of these guys are getting and still meets my legal hunting requirements, I guess I'm restricted a bit to the Hornady lineup. (I just can't bring myself to pay $1.50 / bullet for some of those so called "Premium" bullets. Don't know why, $1,000 for a rifle is OK, but to an old fart like me, $1.50 / bullet seems like "highway robbery". Go Figure???? Must be the onset of that Old-Timers Disease commin' on.
Ask a Syrian why his gun rights are so important !
Then, ask yourself why any Politician really wants to take our's away !!!
LlindeX

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:27 am

Here's a target from a while back.
50 yds.
Hornady 230 Gr FMJ Flat points
With 44.5 Grains of LilGun and a LeGendre Crimp.
Definitely good enuff to put bacon on the table.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby wildcatter » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:34 pm

The SAMMI Barrel Spec. is .4515" (the same as the 45ACP). As we are only talking -.0005" if you use a .451 Bullet (a human hair is .007"+-), you can in "NO" way, reliably measure the group differences from using any bullet that ranges in size .451-.452 +-..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Hoot » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:40 pm

If you have access to a micrometer (not caliper), mic some and make sure they're actually .451 or more. After those COP bullets, I'll never trust what the manufacturer claims the diameter to be. I mic an AQL sample from every box now and believe me, they do vary. In the case of those COPS, .449 was not what I wanted to see and even that was only at the heel. I have shot my share of .451s and most are more than satisfactory. Some even better performers than some .452s I've tried.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Jim in Houston » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:51 pm

LlindeX wrote:I've been wanting to try the jacketed flat nose rounds as well. I know Wildcatter swears by their effectiveness. Just wish someone made one that was legal for hunting use here in Colorado (not that the 250gr FTX hasn't done the job on elk so far. But unfortunately, they just aren't constructed to take the speeds above about 2300fps.) Until I find a bullet capable of handling the blistering speeds some of these guys are getting and still meets my legal hunting requirements, I guess I'm restricted a bit to the Hornady lineup. (I just can't bring myself to pay $1.50 / bullet for some of those so called "Premium" bullets. Don't know why, $1,000 for a rifle is OK, but to an old fart like me, $1.50 / bullet seems like "highway robbery". Go Figure???? Must be the onset of that Old-Timers Disease commin' on.

Freedom arms has some 260 gr JFP's available - the last run from equipment they have now sold. More info is on this thread - http://www.450bushmaster.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12798&hilit=freedom+arms.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Return to Reloading for the 450b