Bullets moving

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Bullets moving

Postby longnkrnch » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:59 pm

Last night I was messing around with my "stuff" and decided To take some measurements of my factory ammo. I measured the over all length of a round. Then put it in a mag and chambered it. I remeasured. And it had gained .015" in OAL by chambering just one time. No telling how long they might get if for whatever reason the got chambered 2 or 3 times before being fired. Would it be beneficial to take factory ammo, put it in the press and "tighten up" the crimp?
longnkrnch

Re: Bullets moving

Postby kottke_35 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:45 pm

This issue has been discussed in great detail in other threads. It's been noted that one way to minimize the bullet run out is to ease the charging handle forward and tap the forward assist to seat the round the rest of the way in the chamber.

There is bullet run out with any method of crimp that has been used so far. A possible problem with using a heavier crimp is the risk of deforming the bullet, decreasing accuracy.

Hope this helps a little.

B.
Last edited by kottke_35 on Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Warriors don't shoot bull's-eyes.

” Blessed are those, who in the face of death, focus on the front sight.”
-Col.. Jeff Cooper
kottke_35

Postby LlindeX » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:41 pm

I agree with everything you've said. However, if he's getting that muchbullet movement of factory ammo with just one chambering, I'd better do some testing myself! My Son has talked me into using this 450BM on our annual elk hunt this fall. He's been using his several years now and has gotten good performance on elk with the factory 250gr FTX's. However, I don't believe he has ever checked to see if he gets bullet movement when he chambers a round. This could be critical, I know I chamber and re-chamber the same round at least a dozen times while on a hunt with my bolt gun. Sounds like if I do that with my Bushy, I'll end up with a gun full of unburnt powder.

Next time I take her to the range, I'm gonna' do a quick comparision: Manually "Re-taper Crimped" VS original factory rounds. If the accuracy doesn't go way South, it sounds like I'll be re-tapering all my factory rounds before we leave.
Ask a Syrian why his gun rights are so important !
Then, ask yourself why any Politician really wants to take our's away !!!
LlindeX

Postby longnkrnch » Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:27 pm

the bullet would probably hit the lands before it could come all the way out, but then if the lands get a grip on it, it could pull out on extraction. Pretty easy to see if its happening by comparing to a round thats never been chambered.
longnkrnch

Return to Reloading for the 450b