My head is swimming

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

My head is swimming

Postby longnkrnch » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:53 am

I have been reloading for about 20 years. I have loaded various bottleneck rifle rounds and several calibers of handgun ammo. Have always had pretty good results and it has always seemed "easy". Now I am getting set up to load the 450, and I must say, based on all the things I've read on this site, this is the first time I've felt a little intimidated. How to crimp, where to crimp, how deep to crimp, bullet depths, bullet sizes, cannilure, no cannilures, the list goes on. I think my brain is now fully scrambled.
longnkrnch

Re: My head is swimming

Postby commander faschisto » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:29 am

I've just started with the 450b reloading process myself, and I think the essential lesson from all the variations people have posted on the site here is that it is vital that there be enough neck tension on the boolit to really get the powder charge cooking before it launches down the barrel. What might seem overwhelming is that there has been a lot of discussion about what method of neck tensioning works best with which bullet design and weight and powder combination. Just start with the idea that the 450b works best when, using whatever method, the case hangs on to the bullet as long as possible. I hope that helps a bit? :)
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby longnkrnch » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:27 am

Thanks, I think you are right. Neck tension should be the key. But, based on what I have seen on the factory rounds, there ain't a whole lot of tension there. I think I'll start by just following the Hornady data and move on from there.
longnkrnch

Postby commander faschisto » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:18 am

Probably a good starting choice. Rem 7 1/2 primer; L'il Gun; 250gr SST; taper crimp to .475 at case mouth...should work just fine.
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby Hoot » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:34 am

A lot of our musings are esoteric and trying to make the caliber behave to fit our personal interests. If you keep to the path, the course is not hard. Yes, neck tension matters, but aside from the bullet pulling as a function of repeated chambering and ejecting unfired cartridges, it's more forgiving than it may seem, again if you don't stray far from the path. The 450b is not intended to make too much work out of having fun.

There are folks who love fishing. Then there's folks who only love fishing in fresh water. Then there's folks who only love fishing in fresh water, for trout. Then there's folks who only love fishing in fresh water, for trout, using only flies. The point is, you can take what pleases you to whichever degree of complexity you choose, but in the end, it's still the joy of fishing.

Make some simple reloads that fall close to the path, to build up your confidence and understanding of how the caliber feels when everything is going right. That will prepare you psychologically for when you start messing with the program and it doesn't. It's taken me since April of 2010 to reach the point of almost totally off the wall with this caliber. I expect that will go faster now for recent arrivals as the brain trust here has grown a lot since I started coming back in February (I think) of that year.

Now go fishing!

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby longnkrnch » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:54 am

Thanks Hoot. I'm not just going fishing, I'm going "fish catching"
longnkrnch

Postby wildcatter » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:42 pm

Hoot wrote:A lot of our musings are esoteric and trying to make the caliber behave to fit our personal interests. If you keep to the path, the course is not hard. Yes, neck tension matters, but aside from the bullet pulling as a function of repeated chambering and ejecting unfired cartridges, it's more forgiving than it may seem, again if you don't stray far from the path. The 450b is not intended to make too much work out of having fun.

There are folks who love fishing. Then there's folks who only love fishing in fresh water. Then there's folks who only love fishing in fresh water, for trout. Then there's folks who only love fishing in fresh water, for trout, using only flies. The point is, you can take what pleases you to whichever degree of complexity you choose, but in the end, it's still the joy of fishing.

Make some simple reloads that fall close to the path, to build up your confidence and understanding of how the caliber feels when everything is going right. That will prepare you psychologically for when you start messing with the program and it doesn't. It's taken me since April of 2010 to reach the point of almost totally off the wall with this caliber. I expect that will go faster now for recent arrivals as the brain trust here has grown a lot since I started coming back in February (I think) of that year.

Now go fishing!

Hoot

Hoot is so right. He and I often get caught in .."Great Taste" - .."Less Filling", type of conversations. Now throw in the Dawg and Commander-Fast & Furious (wink), and even I get confused.

longnkrnch,

The way to look at this, with your Pistol Cartridge Reloading experience, is whatever you are doing for the 45ACP/9mm NATO/380auto, is "Basically" the same for the 450b, kinda-sorta.

You may be over engineering this cartridge, so-to-speak. It's truly a dream to reload and very forgiving, decide what your mission is, choose the right bullet, go with SAMMI specification loads, and Bingo, you're there. Wallowing in the Vicissitudes, is a good way to get confused. Stay with the basics.

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby MarkF1967 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:42 pm

longnkrnch wrote:Thanks, I think you are right. Neck tension should be the key. But, based on what I have seen on the factory rounds, there ain't a whole lot of tension there. I think I'll start by just following the Hornady data and move on from there.

What Hornady Load data? Is there a new publication out there? I am serious. My 450bm should get here over the weekend and I could use some data myself. I have loaded for about 4 years noe. about 4 months B.O. (B.O. stands for Before Obama, incase you all wondered. ;-) )
MarkF1967

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:57 am

Welcome to our electronic campfire!
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Jim in Houston » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:13 am

MarkF1967 wrote:What Hornady Load data? Is there a new publication out there?

Hornady's Reloading Handbook, 8th Edition, has several loads for the 450 BM. There used to be information on Hornady's website, but after a quick search, I couldn't find it. Here is part of the table that should be there somewhere.
Attachments
450 Bushmaster FTX Loading Data. Table Only.jpg
From Hornady's Website
450 Bushmaster FTX Loading Data. Table Only.jpg (94.76 KiB) Viewed 9673 times
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Next

Return to Reloading for the 450b