Resized Hornady .458 350gr Interlock Load Data

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: Resized Hornady .458 350gr Interlock Load Data

Postby TacoTaco » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:20 am

All,

So I went ahead and made up some test loads using the 350gr Interlocks. Batch of 20 rnds using AA1680, loaded in sets of five with 38.0gr, 39.0gr, 40.0gr and 41.0gr in them. COAL was initially setup at 2.260. Now here's the rub....

After I dropped the powder and seated the bullet, I used the modified .45/70 die to give them a good solid crimp. After doing this, the COAL jumped up to 2.270. What gives? Was my crimp so excessive that I squeezed the bullet out further? (Like squishing a bannana in your fist?)

Brass history is 7X fired and annealed prior to this loading.

Has anybody ever come across this before?
TacoTaco

Postby Hoot » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:43 am

TacoTaco wrote:All,

So I went ahead and made up some test loads using the 350gr Interlocks. Batch of 20 rnds using AA1680, loaded in sets of five with 38.0gr, 39.0gr, 40.0gr and 41.0gr in them. COAL was initially setup at 2.260. Now here's the rub....

After I dropped the powder and seated the bullet, I used the modified .45/70 die to give them a good solid crimp. After doing this, the COAL jumped up to 2.270. What gives? Was my crimp so excessive that I squeezed the bullet out further? (Like squishing a bannana in your fist?)

Brass history is 7X fired and annealed prior to this loading.

Has anybody ever come across this before?

Yes, I have seen the COL change with all three crimp methods I've tried. As long as they fit in the magazine, I wouldn't sweat it. If you try the TNT method, you need to be careful as pre-loading the brass to a narrower diameter, squeezes them longer and you don't want to go beyond your particular chamber's max case length tolerance. Good news is they're not precisely 1.700. I've tested mine as long as 1.704 and got the impression it might have a mil or two to spare. It was clean though and that tolerance for longer might change if it's filthy.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby TacoTaco » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:20 pm

Thanks Hoot. I tested them for fit in the Mag and there were no issues. I'll give them a try this weekend and report out the results.
TacoTaco

Previous

Return to Reloading for the 450b