Basic lesson in resizing?

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Basic lesson in resizing?

Postby longnkrnch » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:08 am

Could one of you veterans give me some "how to's" or INS and outs of resizing .458s down to .452s. I'm not planning on jumping into it right away, but, sure would like to have some knowledge about how it's done in my pocket for later.
longnkrnch

Re: Basic lesson in resizing?

Postby commander faschisto » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:47 pm

There's tons of stuff already in previous threads...you might try the search function. Basically need good lube and good press.
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby wildcatter » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:59 pm

First things, first.

Get a sizing die. Lee's is cheap and they can be found cheap on Ebay, Amazon, etc ($20+-). You want a .451" die, because there is spring back, after the bullet is sized. Mine usually Spring-Back to .4515", Perfecto!

Buy some liquid lanolin, or Imperial Sizing Wax, and or, some Dillon Spray-On Case Lube (Stock Number: 13733) - (http://www.dillonprecision.com/content/ ... z__Bottle_). The Spray-On Case Lube is especially useful, if you have lots of bullets to do at once. The Dillon lube"IS" liquid lanolin, with alcohol, as a carrier (Put a bunch of bullets on a cookie sheet, spray them down, spray a little into the die, let the alcohol evaporate off and your ready). The Spray really speeds up the process, allot.

You'll need a good "O" type press. I use a Rock-Chucker, but there are others and even the cheapie Lee "O" works well, so I'm told.

I put a 3', close fitting pipe, over my charging handle and go for it.

If you don't want to use the pipe, realize that the power-end of the stroke is at the end of the stroke of your press. You can, leave the die loose, screwing it in a couple of threads, at first and then start sizing. Of course the bullet wont go all the way through, on the first stroke, using this method, but no matter. When you back off of the ram, screw the die in another thread or two and hit it again, you'll always be in the Power-stroke of the press. Keep this up (it'll take 5-6, fast strokes, before you have a resized bullet, using this method, but you wont be alarmed by the power it takes to complete the stroke, if fact you'll be impressed at, how little power it actually takes, when you stay in the power area of your press), until the bullet let's go of the die. Start over, with a new bullet, and repeat the process. By the third bullet, you'll be able to grab the first bullet through the die, with your fingers.

This is a really easy project, requires cheap tools, and totally expands your Bullet Choices, into the "HUNDEREDS" of different styles and weights. I pretty much have invented this method of usage/resizing, at least on this board, first suggesting it in the Old Cal-Gun days, but the truth is P.O. Ackley gave me the idea and I have ran with it. AND there are guys here that have even expanded on my suggestions and make this process even more useful as it it easier. If we can get them to Chime in, you'll see..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Jim in Houston » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:18 am

Thanks Wildcatter for this write-up. I am not ready to resize yet, since I have a whole bunch of .452's (mostly Midway blems), but when I am . . . I have cut out your comment and pasted it into my reloading notes for future reference.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby 30Hart » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:39 pm

Great info, thanks. Any benefit/disadvantage to taking it down in two steps say a .454 first, then a .451? I would think it would be easier on the stroke.
30 Hart
30Hart

Postby Jim in Houston » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:30 pm

30Hart wrote:Great info, thanks. Any benefit/disadvantage to taking it down in two steps say a .454 first, then a .451? I would think it would be easier on the stroke.

Yes, I remember reading it somewhere on this forum. The two stage approach makes it much easier to resize. Can't find the thread now, though.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby MudBug » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:49 pm

Jim in Houston wrote:
30Hart wrote:Great info, thanks. Any benefit/disadvantage to taking it down in two steps say a .454 first, then a .451? I would think it would be easier on the stroke.

Yes, I remember reading it somewhere on this forum. The two stage approach makes it much easier to resize. Can't find the thread now, though.

Makes it a lot easier with solids, but I don't think it's needed with non-solids.

Do not use Alox for re-sizing, that it was most were using around here until I tried my dillon spray lube and found it made things a billion times easier.
Eric

"A coward is much more disposed to quarrels than a man of spirit." - Thomas Jefferson

"War is less costly than servitude. The choice is always between Verdun and Dachau." - Jean Dutourd
MudBug
Site Admin

Postby 30Hart » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:23 am

Thanks, your last response answered my next question...can you resize all types of bullets...solid copper ones etc.
30 Hart
30Hart

Postby wildcatter » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:25 pm

30Hart wrote:Thanks, your last response answered my next question...can you resize all types of bullets...solid copper ones etc.

The Mudder often answers that question, on the other channels. The Nay-Sayers, you know the owners of the other big-bore AR's, tend to hate us and when this question of resizing comes up, it's usually answered and then countered answered, with a, .."but you, can in no-way swage solids"! The Mudder usually answers that with a post, of a before and after picture of a solid .458 sized to .452, that's then titled.. "you mean like this". The Spiting and Sputtering that goes on after that, is incredible!!

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Return to Reloading for the 450b