Case Head Expansion

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: Case Head Expansion

Postby TacoTaco » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:22 am

I tried measuring per the photo, and all of my measurements came in at .500 to .5015 or so. As you mentioned though, this doesn't strike me as a very reliable means of looking for pressure. Unless anyone has any data that clearly shows the value added in performing this step, I'll probably not do it unless I'm working up into some really spicy loads.

TT
TacoTaco

Postby Hoot » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:30 pm

FWIW, I edited my previous post to reflect case shrinkage as well. Looking back on my historical records for this kind of load, the shrinkage was about what they usually do, despite being annealed. So softer does not appear to cause greater shrinkage.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby m113103 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:38 am

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/reloadi ... le-reloads
Just to make sure everyone is safe use new cases only for pressure testing. If you really want to know then look at this website.
https://www.shootingsoftware.com/index.htm :P :D

The website (if you check out the pages) shows the strain gauges. They can be left on the barrels or taken off after testing.

The fired cases can be used for repeat loads that have proven safe until they fail the thunk test or show signs of fatigue or need annealing.

:D :D :D :D :P :P :P :P
m113103

Previous

Return to Reloading for the 450b