C.O.P. bullets

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

C.O.P. bullets

Postby Hopalong » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:39 am

I'm tinkering with my 450b again and thinking about doing some reloading. There are some options out there and I've seen some of the great threads about various components. I wondered if anyone has tried any solid copper bullets? In this caliber (.452), they'd be pistol bullets, but shouldn't have some of the issues with thinner jackets and other problems with pushing pistol bullets to 450b velocities. Midway has some C.O.P. (copper only projectiles) 225 grain HP (part # 194057) that I'm particularly interested in.

Any thoughts from the experienced hands out there?

Thx...

Hop
Hopalong

Re: C.O.P. bullets

Postby Hoot » Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:06 pm

What more appropriate Welcome than Hoot Gibson to Hopalong Cassidy. :lol:

I have worked with both the 160 and 185gr COP bullets. Aside from their ridiculously light weight for this caliber, the biggest issue was their diameter. Both of those bullets, which are modeled after the Barnes Tac-XP ranged IIRC from .4497 to .4505 or thereabouts. That's kind of on the loose side for our purposes. I had issues both in trying to get reasonable neck tension and them going down the barrel too easily. The COP 225 looks like it is modeled after the XPB-FB. It certainly is not the same form factor as their XPB 200 and 275 bullets, which have a more pointed nose. All I can say is you may have to pay your money and take your chances. The COPs seem reasonably priced, that's for sure. I use the XPB for deer hunting.

Again, welcome aboard.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Re: C.O.P. bullets

Postby Hopalong » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:17 pm

Hoot-

Thanks for the warm welcome. I've been looking for a picture of just Hopalong's hat for an avatar...

And thanks for mentioning the dimensions on the Barnes bullets. If these are anything like that, I may just sent them back, I'll only take so many chances. And it seems like there's lots to consider loading the 450 without worrying about undersize slugs. And you're right, it is a very different form factor. Huge hollow point and fairly stubby. I'll keep the group posted on how they work.

Hop
Hopalong

Return to Reloading for the 450b