trimming the taper?

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: trimming the taper?

Postby tbirdman74 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:16 pm

Ressurection of old thread in 3..2..1..
Finally got the thumper back on the range after getting the chamber fixed( leade reamed). First, took a few to sight back in after removing and reattaching scope, was only 3 inches off to the right and then went to it. First was a five round group of factory 250 gr ftx.
Shots were fired at 65 yards(target was setup for 300 blk subsonic testing and was too lazy to move). Average velocity was 2233 fps, down from about 2340 fps last time(not sure if it is because of what was done to the chamber, or the fact that it was 30 degrees colder than last time I shot it). Accuracy was phenomenal.

Next group was five rounds of 250 gr ftx hand loads, 38 gr Lil gun, taper crimp to .476, wsr primer. Standard reload to replicate factory loads.
Average velocity 2214 fps. Still very good accuracy.

Next was a five shot group of 260 gr nosler partition HG(?) Muzzleloader bullets, .451 dia. over 38 gr of Lil gun, taper crimp to .476, wsr primer.

Average velocity of 2229, marginal accuracy, and poi shift high a little.

Last group was a test group of Barnes 200 gr xpb over 41 gr Lil gun, taper crimp to .476, remmy 71/2 primers.
Average velocity 2561, lo of 2542, hi of 2577. Acuraccy pretty darn good. Poi shift 3 in high and 3/4 right. No signs of pressure at all. No primer deformation, no extractor/ejector swiping, and absolutely no sooting. None. Brass is as clean coming out as it was going in. I think I'm gonna explore this combination a little more, I really liked the way it shot, and with the carrier weight and Gunny's stock, very mild recoil.
All in all, I am very happy with the end result. More to come next trip home.
Go big... or go home.
tbirdman74

Postby LlindeX » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:44 pm

What did you ever find out on re-testing your loads of 200gr Barnes XPB over 41.0gr Lil'Gun? Did that load hold up for you?
Have you shot reloads with the 200gr FTX yet? If so, how does it reload and perform for you? A 200gr .452 caliber bullet at over 2500fps would definitely be something useful in the elk woods if bullet performance holds up.
Ask a Syrian why his gun rights are so important !
Then, ask yourself why any Politician really wants to take our's away !!!
LlindeX

Postby tbirdman74 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:58 pm

Gonna be honest, have not had the chance to reload any more of the 200 xpb, my reloading room got reoccupied by the oldest daughter. And my line of work is pretty hectic this time of year. I have reloaded and shot the 225 ftx, but no to the 200's. They were very acceptable, but do not have the details in front of me. This trip home i'm hoping to get some more of the xpb loaded and tested and I'll report back.
Go big... or go home.
tbirdman74

Previous

Return to Reloading for the 450b