Best Loads

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: Best Loads

Postby Hoot » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:47 am

Your picture of the 200 FTX is an enigma. Image

From my stickied FTX thread:

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby simpleman » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:59 am

Must be. Not sure what's up with them. Are they collectible?
I'm taking bids. As you see they shoot great and are very rare.
simpleman

Postby Jim in Houston » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:39 pm

These could be blems. I have ordered 225 blems from Midway and they came with one cannelure (near the point), while the Hornady catalogue shows two - http://www.hornady.com/store/FTX/.

The 460 S&W is listed under pistol bullets at http://www.hornady.com/store/searchammo.php?mode=search&main_cat=250&categoryid%5B%5D=260&categoryid%5B%5D=429&categoryid%5B%5D=&x=16&y=8, with two cannelures but without the "boat tail" (in the drawing anyway).
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby simpleman » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:12 pm

Looked back at my orders. They came in the box pictured and were not advertised as blems. My bushy likes the200s though.Tried some back when first got it with 296 and cci primers. Had hang fires but better ES and SD and .80 group at 100 yards ? Go figure better SD and Es with hang fire. Cant seem to load them where they wont shoot accurate just looking for that magic spot with less sooting more speed and still good accuracy. Almost there. I could stop now but what fun would that be. Trying 40.5 Grains Lil gun this weekend unless some one says a grain step up is to much. I have seen post on with more Lil Gun behind heavier bullets. I have no visible pressure signs as of yet. All the black marker was still on the case with no extractor marks and primers looked good to.
I am open to suggestions.
simpleman

Postby Hoot » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:11 pm

simpleman wrote:Looked back at my orders. They came in the box pictured and were not advertised as blems. My bushy likes the200s though.Tried some back when first got it with 296 and cci primers. Had hang fires but better ES and SD and .80 group at 100 yards ? Go figure better SD and Es with hang fire. Cant seem to load them where they wont shoot accurate just looking for that magic spot with less sooting more speed and still good accuracy. Almost there. I could stop now but what fun would that be. Trying 40.5 Grains Lil gun this weekend unless some one says a grain step up is to much. I have seen post on with more Lil Gun behind heavier bullets. I have no visible pressure signs as of yet. All the black marker was still on the case with no extractor marks and primers looked good to.
I am open to suggestions.

That's a safe step. I do not know how or why, but believe us when we tell you, those are atypical for the Hornady 45215. Not that they won't shoot and shoot well, but there is supposed to be two cannelures. It's not a big deal because IMHO, the rear cannelure has limited usefulness in our caliber due to it's proximity to the bullet heel. If you crimp too much into it, it will distort the remaining copper between that cannelure and the nearby heel. That can have devastating effect upon accuracy. However, if you catch it just right with a narrow width side crimp, the added tension has a synergistic impact upon the velocity you can achieve for the same amount of powder, without sacrificing accuracy too much. If you go with Remington 7 1/2 primers and/or more tension, you should be able to eliminate the hang-fire. Can't say how that will impact Optimum Charge Weight though. That's what range experiments are for.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby simpleman » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:51 pm

Thanks Hoot
No hang fires with the Lil Gun and 7 1/2 that I am getting great 200 yard groups with. So probably wont need to do much changing, I am tickled with what I have going now and could stop here. No I cant. I have to see what the next step is. If accuracy falls off with 40.5 Lil gun I will stop. If accuracy remains I will check for pressure signs and go from there.
Here is latest target if anyone is interested. I get them copied at Office Depot for about .09 cents each.
Attachments
Target Template 10-1-12.xls
(29 KiB) Downloaded 731 times
simpleman

Previous

Return to Reloading for the 450b