new to reloading

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

new to reloading

Postby hckycrazee » Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:08 am

I own a Winchester model 70 in 270 also a savage in 30 06 these were my deer rifles. I own 3 ar15s one in 556 one in 6.8 and now a brand new 20 upper in 450 bm I noticed the factory ammo from hornady uses the same bullet I use in my muzzle loader which is a tc omega. I have never reloaded but at 30 for 20 rounds of 450bm I think its time to start. I also own a hi point 45 carbine and a springfield range officer 1911. now for the questions. Once I get the dies for the 450bm and get 45acp dies can I use the same powder and bullets for the 1911 the hi point and the 450bm and my muzzleloader? if I get a set of dies for the 270 and 6.8 can i use the same powder and bullets for both? also any suggestions on powder brand and bullets for hunting deer size game? my 556 and 6.8 are my coyote guns i shoot 110 gr sierra hunter from silver state armory in the 6.8 the 270 win gets 130gr psp corloks from remingon the 30 06 eats 160 psp core loks. iam shooting 230 grn in the hi point and my 1911. its not that i am cheap but it would be nice if the same bullets could be used in more than one weapon. as a new reloader kiss is my moto
hckycrazee

Re: new to reloading

Postby gunnut » Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:50 pm

One reasons I'm with the 450 Bushmaster is to use the 230Grn FMJs,Full Metal Jacket bullets that I use in my 45ACP and now the 450LM. They are cheap and readily available. I use Bullseye powder in my 45ACPs and LiL Gun in my 450B. Do Not use the TMC, Total Metal Clad or copper plated bullets in the 450B!! You will get jacket separation! I have not found the upper limit of the 230FMJs.
Welcome to the club!
gunnut

Postby commander faschisto » Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:20 pm

Dittos on the welcome to the asylum... :)

There's a ton of info here on reloading for the 450b, just do a search for your bullet weight or look through the posts in the reloading section here. Have fun, and don't be the least bit hesitant to ask any question you have...we're all campers here.
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby pitted bore » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:45 pm

hckycrazee wrote: ... I have never reloaded but at 30 for 20 rounds of 450bm I think its time to start. ... as a new reloader kiss is my motto ...

hckycrazee-
Welcome. All of us were at some where you are now in experience.

You'll find the internet and catalogs filled with tons of equipment. Realize at the outset that the most important part of your equipment lies between your ears, and it's necessary to have that equipment functioning properly before beginning to use any other equipment.

Begin with a good manual. Some that are preferred by experienced persons here are the Lyman Reloading Handbook (47th, 48th, or 49th edition), the Nosler manual (5th or 6th edition), or the Hornady manual (7th or 8th edition). You can find the older editions at considerable discounts.

The manual can be supplemented by a good DVD, like the RCBS DVD titled "Precisioneered Handloading". The DVDs are the product of several minds each dedicated to seeing that the viewer does things right (and incidentally survives to keep on buying reloading equipment and supplies.) This form of instruction in fact might be better than having local old-timers personally show how it's done, passing along their errors. Some of the "instructional" youtube reloading videos that have been posted have grave technical errors.

To keep things simple, based on your description, I'd start learning to reload the 270 first. You can learn the fundamentals with that cartridge, and what you learn will transfer to your other choices. There are better cartridges than the 450 to educate oneself about reloading.

A couple of additional points that others on the board may modify:

1) If you're like 95% of persons who start to reload, you'll find you won't save any money. You will get to shoot a bit more for the same or likely greater expenditure of funds. If you attach a dollar amount to your time spent, you will very quickly fall behind compared to buying factory ammo.

2) If you don't buy a startup reloading kit, then you should begin with two essential measuring devices: a good 6" caliper, and a reliable balance, preferably with some check weights.

Keep us posted on your progress.
--Bob
pitted bore

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:04 am

Welcome to our electronic campfire. I load 45ACPs for my Colt Commander and my Glock G21 and my GF's G30. I also reload for my thumper. Here's the deal. Use ONLY the MFGs that use a heavy Jacket.. Like Mag Tech FMJs or Hornady FMJs. Gunny also uses another brand, but the key is a heavy copper jacket. METAL CLAD/ Plated bullets will come apart and that's dangerous.Stay away from Rainier and Berry and use those only for your pistol loads.
FYI, Midway USA has Hornady factory brass for the 450 Bushmaster in stock. Get you a Rock Chucker Press. You will love them. I have one that's 28 years old and still works great. I have another Rock Chucker that I bought a few months ago so now I can have a bit more flexibility while finalizing the crimping processes and it gives idle teenage hands something to do when I'm processing large runs.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby gunnut » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:48 am

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:Welcome to our electronic campfire. I load 45ACPs for my Colt Commander and my Glock G21 and my GF's G30. I also reload for my thumper. Here's the deal. Use ONLY the MFGs that use a heavy Jacket.. Like Mag Tech FMJs or Hornady FMJs. Gunny also uses another brand, but the key is a heavy copper jacket. METAL CLAD/ Plated bullets will come apart and that's dangerous.Stay away from Rainier and Berry and use those only for your pistol loads.
FYI, Midway USA has Hornady factory brass for the 450 Bushmaster in stock. Get you a Rock Chucker Press. You will love them. I have one that's 28 years old and still works great. I have another Rock Chucker that I bought a few months ago so now I can have a bit more flexibility while finalizing the crimping processes and it gives idle teenage hands something to do when I'm processing large runs.

I agree! I use "ZEROs" .451, 230 FMJs. Only problem is you have to buy them in bulk. I buy 2K at a time. Really not that much for loading 45ACP,450B and 450LMs. The price is right.
The rock Chucker should be renamed The rock Crusher! I have 2. I try to break things in them! So I was told. I guess that's just a personality disorder. :oops: The Rock Crusher doesn't seem to care! :lol:
gunnut

Postby Jim in Houston » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:59 am

I got started reloading, when I got my BM450. These cartridges seem very straightforward to load - no case trimming, for example, and they shoot great with the factory 250 gr FTX and the default taper crimp to .476 or .475 and 38 gr of Lil Gun. As you read more on this board, you will find all sorts of step-outs to different bullets, powders and crimps, but I leave all that to the old hands.

If you collect your brass, you will save money. As in fishing, I don't count the time spent doing the activity as part of the cost. I bought the Hornady Classic Kit (which I think is on sale at Cabellas or maybe Midway now) and took advantage of their free bullet offer, which they are offering again this year. There are many choices of quality gear out their - RCBS is often mentioned on this forum. -but I have had not problems with the Hornady gear (plus some add-ons like a case tumbler, bullet puller, and a digital caliper to measures case length, COL, and case diameter.

Hornady's 9th edition of their reloading handbook will be out Dec 1, so the 8th edition is going for about $20, a $10 discount off new. It has BM450 loading data in it, but there may be more in the 9th edition. I don't know that the 7th edition had BM450 info in it.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:30 pm

Hornady's 9th edition of their reloading handbook will be out Dec 1, so the 8th edition is going for about $20, a $10 discount off new. It has BM450 loading data in it, but there may be more in the 9th edition. I don't know that the 7th edition had BM450 info in it.

The 7th did not.
If you find a gun shop with reloading supplies, see what they have on display as far as presses go. Cabelas usually has a few displays spread around the hunting dept. RCBS is a solid press especially the Rock Chucker. It's a great starter press. I bought mine on sale at Sinclairs and got free shipping and a rebate.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby kottke_35 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:03 pm

Bring this old thread back. I just saw that the OP has not been logged in since July if this year. Just curious to see how the reloading process is coming for you if you got started? Let us know if you log in.

Pm sent.

B.
Warriors don't shoot bull's-eyes.

” Blessed are those, who in the face of death, focus on the front sight.”
-Col.. Jeff Cooper
kottke_35

Postby hckycrazee » Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:21 pm

Have killed two deer with my own loads since those original questions. Now I load everything. The 450 has become my go to bear rifle.
hckycrazee

Next

Return to Reloading for the 450b