powder

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

powder

Postby craigdennis23 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:45 pm

i can pick other powder up most likely lil gun from what ive read however i have varget, hp38, unique lots of unique, imr 4064, and reloader 15 all in the reloading room. im sure none of what i have is a great choice however are any of my options (im sure the pistol powders are out) possible to make work. im just trying to load a few up for a friend to try and dont want to run over to get any right now. im not looking for accurate, fast, ect. just something to send the bullet at a target so he can get an idea of the feel and use what i have on hand right now.

thanks in advance and again i know lil gun is the go to powder just wanna use what i got today. if its not safe i will wait.
ps. great forum and knowledge base, i bought the 450 after reading alot of what the 458 guys say on arforums as i didnt see this forum at the time, im not a tacticool guy. like stuff to work and be readily or more readily available in the way of components. ive watched the video of the fmj going through damn near 1/2" plate id say this will get any job done that needs gettin done. all the big bores looked good but just seemed like the 458 guys were more close minded that the cartridge they chose was the best. made me think there was something they were affraid of from the 450 lol.
craigdennis23

Re: powder

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:55 pm

You will not want to use pistol powders. There is one pistol powder you can use but you will need to read up on it in the Hornady Manual (8th Edition). That powder is 2400. But you gotta be real careful with it. There are several threads that mention the use of it here. But LilGun is the Cats Meow.
Welcome to our Electronic Campfire!
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby craigdennis23 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:01 am

thanks for the welcome i are you not the fellow who shoots thru the steel plates? i think i have the hornady info downloaded ill have to look at it again.
craigdennis23

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:06 am

That Be Me... ;)
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby craigdennis23 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:16 am

i was pretty sure. you were using magtech fmj correct and a charge of lil gun? i reckon ill get some lil gun and not screw around and just do it the right way. so much for my steel plates (gongs) lol, wont be using those for this rifle. if youd share that recipe that would be awesome. im pretty sure you did but cant find it now.
craigdennis23

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:25 am

You can find the whole story here...

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8633

The only thing is, I am using the LeGendre Side crimp on these puppies to get the powder cooking.

If you have a Machine shop, There are numerous posts on this trick.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=95
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=685
But one thing to remember, my loads are above SAAMI.
Be very careful and do not take any short cuts.
You may not really want to push the envelop like us crazy people do....
39-40 Grains with LilGun and a side crimp are going to roll any beast
crazy enough to step out in front of it. Especially the Hornady 230 Grain FMJ Flat Points.
Be sure to watch all my videos.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby gunnut » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:40 am

You can use W296 which is a magnum pistol powder. Pay close attention to specs! It really likes being in a full case. Do Not! go below 3% of max! LiL Gun is much more forgiving! I use 45Grns of LiL Gun with a 230Grns FMJ. side crimped.466. tapper.474 Way over specs! I'm still here! :lol:
gunnut

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:06 am

I've been up with the dogs all night due to coyotes. I shot at one about an hour ago, and just a few minutes ago, I went out front and there was one out at the end of my driveway, but I couldn't shoot due to it being on the road. Grrr. :evil:
I load mine with 44.5 grains of LilGun, taper crimp to .478", then Apply a LeGendre Crimp .066 down from the case mouth at .472'. Then I touch it up with another taper crimp on down to .474". I am using a 20" that was made back when the 450 Bushmasters were still produced in Windham Maine. They stopped making them there in March of 2011 and Freedom Group/Remington took over the Bushmaster name. Another Grrr. :evil:
Anyway, Be very careful and do tons of reading before you venture into the twilight zone. You may not really even want to go there.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby craigdennis23 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:51 am

To be honest I started reloading to get more accurate 308 loads for a bolt gun. Now I keep going to be push the limits in my 44mag,1911, 9mm carbine. Id like to be in the twilightish area lol. Id like to punch thru steel like its paper :twisted: . I need to buy a chronograph to get more info tho, I don't get carried away because of this. Recomendations as to which chrony would be great as well. Can't spend a lot as christmas is approaching and I've got kids. I read hoot talking about one he modified to be a nicer model, I'm all about stuff like that as I've got solder rework stations and other tools for it due to my work.
craigdennis23

Return to Reloading for the 450b