Blem bullets at Midsouth

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: Blem bullets at Midsouth

Postby Hopalong » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:24 am

I'm headed out to the range this weekend. I'm hoping to get some velocity as well as some 100 and 200 yard accuracy data. I'll keep you posted.

Hop
Hopalong

Postby Hopalong » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:41 pm

Hopalong wrote:I'm headed out to the range this weekend. I'm hoping to get some velocity as well as some 100 and 200 yard accuracy data. I'll keep you posted.

Hop

Best laid plans… Maybe next weekend.
Hopalong

Postby Hopalong » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:32 pm

Got out to the range a bit yesterday. Not a great day, cold and windy. I did shoot a few of the blems. I loaded them with 30gr of Lil Gun, WSR primer, col of 2.175". Chronographed at 1805 fps (SD 33) out of my 16" barrel. Accuracy was on a par with Hornady ammo in the weather. Had some FTF, though, maybe a bit too long with the blunt nose? Didn't want to lock open on the last round every time, either, so maybe needed a bit more oomph and wasn't able to strip the round?

Also shot a few of those COP 250 grain all copper bullets that I mentioned in another thread, same load, col .050 shorter. About 100 fps faster, no FTF, groups about 2X the factory stuff.
Hopalong

Postby Hopalong » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:56 pm

Looks like someone bought them all. Someone here?
Hopalong

Postby OUBushmaster » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:02 pm

I bought a bag of them. Figured they would be good hog bullets and lots cheaper than FTXs. They were also on sale.
OUBushmaster

Postby wildcatter » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:11 pm

Hopalong wrote:Got out to the range a bit yesterday. Not a great day, cold and windy. I did shoot a few of the blems. I loaded them with 30gr of Lil Gun, WSR primer, col of 2.175". Chronographed at 1805 fps (SD 33) out of my 16" barrel. Accuracy was on a par with Hornady ammo in the weather. Had some FTF, though, maybe a bit too long with the blunt nose? Didn't want to lock open on the last round every time, either, so maybe needed a bit more oomph and wasn't able to strip the round?

Also shot a few of those COP 250 grain all copper bullets that I mentioned in another thread, same load, col .050 shorter. About 100 fps faster, no FTF, groups about 2X the factory stuff.

I'd say that's exactly what's going on. I might be wrong, but I think even Hoot might find that loads wanting for some increased speed..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby OUBushmaster » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:19 am

Loaded up 100 rounds of the 300 gr. blem bullets. Used 31 GRS. of Little Gun and Winchester small rifle primers. First 50 were seated in the cannelure while the second fifty were right at 2.175 col. Both loads shot 1" groups at 100 yards. Short rounds would not feed reliably. The would float in the magazine after a couple of shots. Single shots and doubles were fine and accurate. Longer rounds functioned great with no FTF or FTE. This was out of a 20" Bushy. Will chronograph later but I was impressed with the round.
OUBushmaster

Postby pitted bore » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:08 am

OUBushmaster wrote: ... First 50 were seated in the cannelure while the second fifty were right at 2.175 col. ...

OUBushmaster-
For those of us trying to follow along and who are less knowledgeable than yourself, it would be helpful if you could give the COL of the first fifty cartridges.

Thanks.
--Bob
pitted bore

Postby Hopalong » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:42 pm

Those bullets seated to the cannelure are 2.105 when I loaded that way. Had some FTF, too.

Hop
Hopalong

Postby pitted bore » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:37 pm

Hopalong wrote:Those bullets seated to the cannelure are 2.105 when I loaded that way. Had some FTF, too.

Hopalong-
Thanks for the measurement with your load. I asked because a previous post in this thread from three months ago gave a calculated COL of 2.05", and I was curious how that calculated COL compared with the actual. The COL from your post of 8 Dec was given as 2.175.

Did your failures to fire occur only with the cartridges with a COL of 2.175 as reported on 8 December, or did it also happen with the shorter cartridges with the 2.105 COL?

Thank you for checking and helping me keep things straight.
--Bob
pitted bore

PreviousNext

Return to Reloading for the 450b